Public sector bashing-anyone else sick of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bashing isn't all that entertaining and I tend to stop half way through posts when they start going off on one. Funny thing is some of these posters slag tabloids yet their own versions on public sector workers belong to the gutter press. Sweeping statements are meaningless as is the protracted blame game and 'FF and their cronies' got us into this yet can anyone say anything constructive other than we need to cut the public service, after we do that then what? Do we just ***** some more and wait for something to happen?

10% in private sector and 90% in public sector. That's the problem..
So now 90% of the public sector are 'wasters'...Where did you get that little gem of a statistic?

So, why are the muppets representing you claim that pay cuts will not be accepted?.
The Unions are quite rightly looking after the interests of workers. Don't IBEC and employers groups look after their own interests? BTW workers in this country have a constitutional right to union membership.

I am sick of this statement. Why don't you move back to private sector then?.
Maybe I will 1 day. What you need to understand is a lot of the public sector are overqualified for their jobs and could earn more in the private sector. Its their choice to work where they are.

Their choice, isn't it?
Would they do my job? probably not. Their choice.

Another good answer! I don't know what your job is but it seems to me that unless you are a f***ing Lion Tamer your job isn't anywhere near as stressful/dangerous as one of the gards patrolling the streets.

No public sector employee is going to convince me that they are worse off than private sector employees. And no public sector employee worth there salt would deny that there is huge wastage within the public sector.

A friends husband is a public sector employee and I asked him at the weekend "How many days holidays do you get a year" His reply was " Ah, 21 but I have my 10days paid sick leave as well so I suppose 31" To which I replied "But thats sick leave" "No", he laughed, "Sure we all take it as annual leave" - Now thats what my tax is paying for!!!!! When I said this to him I was told "take it up with the union".

And in answer to the initial query above - No I am not sick of Public Sector bashing and until the unions and there members start realising that this country is in meltdown and nobody not even the public sector is immune from its effects the Public sector bashing will continue!

Maybe I will 1 day. What you need to understand is a lot of the public sector are overqualified for their jobs and could earn more in the private sector. Its their choice to work where they are.
What a shame that they waste their qualifications in jobs that they are overqualified for. Why on earth do you think they don't go into the private sector if they can earn more? What a conundrum.

No public sector employee is going to convince me that they are worse off than private sector employees. And no public sector employee worth there salt would deny that there is huge wastage within the public sector.

A friends husband is a public sector employee and I asked him at the weekend "How many days holidays do you get a year" His reply was " Ah, 21 but I have my 10days paid sick leave as well so I suppose 31" To which I replied "But thats sick leave" "No", he laughed, "Sure we all take it as annual leave" - Now thats what my tax is paying for!!!!! When I said this to him I was told "take it up with the union".

And in answer to the initial query above - No I am not sick of Public Sector bashing and until the unions and there members start realising that this country is in meltdown and nobody not even the public sector is immune from its effects the Public sector bashing will continue!

10 days paid sick leave eh? Actually we can have up to 6 months paid sick leave in a 4 year period however if you go for promotion sick leave goes against you. Also this would have to be certified sick leave as far as I know you are only allowed 5 uncertified sicks days in the year not 10. Maybe he was talking about flexi days?

I would disagree and state that in many cases the public sector are not over qualified. Less than 10% of the Department of Finance have any financial qualifications

I think this is fairly balanced piece on the economy. Ahearne is actually one the few economists worth listening too with his international experience.

[broken link removed]

No. I am not sick of it. The country should be squeezed tight until all of the rubbish is gone. Rubbish = inefficiency, corruption, laziness, tax cheats, cronyism, consumerism, etc.. My english fails me - I am sure you know what I mean.

10 days paid sick leave eh? Actually we can have up to 6 months paid sick leave in a 4 year period however if you go for promotion sick leave goes against you. Also this would have to be certified sick leave as far as I know you are only allowed 5 uncertified sicks days in the year not 10. Maybe he was talking about flexi days?

You mean there's more than paid sick leave?
You get flexi days as well - What are they? - More time off that your paid for? What he meant is irrelevant - my point is he gets 10 days off paid more a year that your average private sector worker!

Sure if your all that hard done by, leave and go and work in the private sector! No! Why? Because every public sector worker in this country knows they are sitting on a cushy number and you will not convince me otherwise!

Our "government" (and I use term in the absence of a more suitable phrase) need to sort out the mess that is the public service and if they don't stand up to the unions and their members they will be very sorry when the Council elections creep round in June (If they last that long)!

I think this is fairly balanced piece on the economy. Ahearne is actually one the few economists worth listening too with his international experience.

[broken link removed]

Yes, a very good piece.

flexi days are based on a time in lieu type idea. You work more hours on certain days so you can build up those hours and take them as extra days or flexi days so you need to have worked up the extra time before you can take it. Lots of private sector people take sickies and most employers will pay you for the first 2 days uncertified

You mean there's more than paid sick leave?
You get flexi days as well - What are they? - More time off that your paid for? What he meant is irrelevant - my point is he gets 10 days off paid more a year that your average private sector worker!

I worked in the Revenue Commissioners about 10 years ago. 6h57mins a day (equal to 139 hours in each 4-week period) and if you worked 10.5 hours extra in a period, you got a day and a half off in the next one. so 18 extra days off are available per year. Or put another way, 32+ days a year for a newbie off the street for a job with less than a 37.5 hour working week. I personally saw many many people sitting around chatting from 5.30 till 6.30 so that they could get the maximum amount of time on their clock!!
The people in the Data Entry section got extra time off for being efficient at their jobs (determined by the number of net key depressions per day) so they could work up another 18 days annual leave on top of this. Now I could not do DE jobs as it was mind-numbing but the extra leave for doing your job well was, and still is, unique to me.

I am unaware if these practises are still in place but I would be very surprised if they were taken away!!

So to the public servants who are moaning about the abuse they're getting and being to blame for the ills of the world....The beatings will continue until morale improves! Or the slating will continue until the situation (excess pay/benefits/staffing numbers) improves.

If you're good at your job and are willing to fight to keep it or be promoted, then you have absolutely nothing to complain or worry about, do you?

I repeat - Sure if your all that hard done by, leave and go and work in the private sector! No! Why? Because every public sector worker in this country knows they are sitting on a cushy number and you will not convince me otherwise!

I get NO paid sick leave! I don't work, I don't get paid! You can take 6months paid sick leave in 4years - And my tax is paying for it!

I get 20 days paid holidays a year, I have to contribute to my pension costs and I have NO job security. Any increase in my salary is performance based (ie I have to work for it) and not based on how long I serve with the company! And certainly promotion is not service based!

Benchmarking

Either deliver the productivity improvements promised, or return the money taken.

Until then, you're fair game.

End of

Any private sector employer i worked for paid you if you rang in sick for 2 days and after that you had to get a cert and illness benefit.

I get NO paid sick leave! I don't work, I don't get paid! You can take 6months paid sick leave in 4years - And my tax is paying for it!

If you're paying PRSI, you can claim Disability Benefit. Many Public Sector workers do not qualify for any social welfare payments at all, so they are paid by their employer instead. Plus PS workers pay tax too, so they're paying for their own sick leave.

If you're paying PRSI, you can claim Disability Benefit. Many Public Sector workers do not qualify for any social welfare payments at all, so they are paid by their employer instead. Plus PS workers pay tax too, so they're paying for their own sick leave.

Disability benefit would not even nearly equate to the weeks wages that Public sector employees enjoy.

No self employed person qualifies for any non means tested social welfare benefit and no employer there to pick up the tab! And the employer your refering to is us - Joe Soap - So we pay for your sick leave, my point exactly!
Yes, public sector workers do pay tax for all other services as well - just like private sector workers and we do not enjoy the added benefit of 6months fully paid leave(not disablity benefit) over a 4 year period.

I will consider getting the violin out tonight and playing a lament for all you hard done by public sector workers whose employers (ie us) have dared asked questions about your productivty, efficency, expenses, flexitime, overtime, sick pay, pension schemes etc etc!:rolleyes:

Good point. Your taxes pay for part of it, not all, but still a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back