@sidzer
ARF income is classed as insurable self employment.
This was probably treated this way because a previous government saw a way of getting an easy stream of Prsi revenue from certain retirees.
They couldn't have subjected it to class A as the ARF provider (employer) would have been liable to employers Prsi.
So they applied class S Prsi. This is only applied to the self employed person. In a normal self employment situation there is no other 'provider or employer' involved.
This application is beneficial to certain early retirees as they can gain extra reckonable contributions if they are short of 2080 when they retire.
Other early retires who already have 2080 Prsi contributions are being penalised by having to pay Prsi on what is essentially a pension.
Recently this poster asked about the situation regarding post 95 early retirees and qualification for supplementary pension.
Hi all (and *especially* @S class), I'm one of the people contemplating doing the "convert to ARF, draw down €5K per year, bump up COAP via 52 reckonable Class S" dance. I'm still at least 10 years away from retirement so just attempting to get my ducks in a row. I will be entitled to a public...
www.askaboutmoney.com
Because ARFs are classed as insurable self employment it is uncertain if they would prevent the payment of supplementary pension. I don't have any idea if this might happen.
If it turns out that ARFs do prevent supplementary pensions, it's absolutely unfair.
Hopefully some poster will confirm that they have received supplementary pension alongside an ARF.