Plasma Screen

mrc

Hi People,

I am looking to buy a 42 inch plasma screen to hang on the chimney bresast in my living room.

When I went looking for 1 in Harvey Normans in Swords.. couldnt decide as they were so so many of them available.

Any recommendations ??

hi mrc, I know it's off the point a little but I was told plasma screens were not suitable to be placed above a fireplace due to the heat rising from the heatsource. Don't know if it's true or not but it may be worth checking out.

Moved from Homes & Gardens.

MrC, you will shorten the life of a plasma placing it above a heat source, how significantly depends on how often you have the fire going.

To narrow down recommendations, what is your budget and what size screen are you looking for?
Leo

Hi Leo,

Budget of about 2000 euro and screen size 42 inch.

Just so many out there !

Don't Buy Plasma.

The Technology is dead, picture fades over time.
Sony are stopping making them (Plasma) as there have been massive advances in the production of LCD.
Buy an LCD instead. Sony Bravia are good.

Cheers

StoryBud

Cheers StoryBud,

Mrs. MrC saw a luvverly LCD in Hardley Normals there last week.. 42 inch screen think it was a philips.

Just got meself the What Palsma magazine... flick thru it at lunch..

all recommendations greatfully received !

Don't Buy Plasma.

The Technology is dead, picture fades over time.
Sony are stopping making them (Plasma) as there have been massive advances in the production of LCD.
Buy an LCD instead. Sony Bravia are good.

Cheers

StoryBud

Not quite true. The LCD versus plasma debate has been done to death, but plasma is still winning on most fronts, particularly price, contrast and fast moving sceens. LCD is catching fast, but at a premium.

As for the picture fading over time, that's true, but depending on panel quality takes in the region of 60,000 viewing hours before it becomes a real issue.

Panasonic are generally regarded as producing the best plasmas, check out the plasma forum on [broken link removed] for reviews.
Leo

Thanx for that Leo.

some nice LCDs and Plasmas in the What Plasma Magazine!

Defo getting a 42 inch...... not sure now whether a plasma or LCD..

Pick the best one of each. Sit down and look at the specs such as contrast, brightness, resolution, viewing angle, response times, etc. Then look at features such as number of SCART and HDMI sockets, does it have an integrated digital tuner, etc.

Chances are there'll be a clear winner, probably the best looking one :D
Leo

Plasma are far better than lcd. log onto avforums and look out for panasonic plasmas, seem to be the best. Did a lot of research and the new panasonic pv 70 seems to be the business, they seem to have sorted the problems they were having with the previous pv60.

also log onto panasonics website and they do a compare of plasmas v lcd and plasmas wins hands down , and panasonic make both!

Best of luck

Plasma are far better than lcd.

This is a very generalised comment to make, and I have seen no firm opinions that would back you up. Both Plasma and LCD TVs have their own advantages and disadvantages e.g Plasmas can suffer from the "burn in effect" while LCDs don`t. You have a wider selection of larger-size TVs with plasmas (though LCDs are catching up). Sony have discontinued their range of Plasma TVs in favour of LCD going forward. What does this suggest?

Personally I think LCD has more going for it, but that is only my opinion. Check out some interesting pointers [broken link removed]

May have just narrowed it down,
The Panasonic TH-42PX70PED looks nice indeed! PLASMA
The Philips 42PF5421/10 is the opposition! LCD

Feel free to vote !

[broken link removed]

This won best plasma in one of the main mags - not sure which one. I have seen it in the flesh and it is a great pice of tv. I would have no issues in buying from Richer Sounds or they will deliver for €30 I think. Oh yeah and I know someone that bought one at trade price for €2100 last week so it is a very good deal above.

[broken link removed]
That's €2299 when you switch to euro, plus delivery is i believe €150 to the republic - so not a good deal for an old model.

Philips 42PF5421 42in LCD TV review :
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2006/11/18/Philips-42PF5421-42in-LCD-TV/p1
Powercity had the best price I could find.

Panasonic Panasonic TH-42PX70PED review :
[broken link removed]
Alliance Electric (Dublin) had the best price I could find.

Personally ended up buying an LG 42PX5D Plasma :
[broken link removed]

Last edited:
That's €2299 when you switch to euro, plus delivery is i believe €150 to the republic - so not a good deal for an old model.

Philips 42PF5421 42in LCD TV review :
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2006/11/18/Philips-42PF5421-42in-LCD-TV/p1
Powercity had the best price I could find.

Panasonic Panasonic TH-42PX70PED review :
[broken link removed]
Alliance Electric (Dublin) had the best price I could find.

Personally ended up buying an LG 42PX5D Plasma :
[broken link removed]

Did you buy from the net or from a shop ?

I bought from a shop and brought it home myself, when I added delivery from an internet store and subtracted a "deal" which I got from the shop (always worth bargaining - mention other shops nearby,etc) the price difference wasn't so great - indeed some shops had better prices than any irish/uk/euro retailer I could find - other shops charged 50% more for some of the models on my shortlist - it's worth doing a fair bit of research.

If you do buy one locally - bear in mind they are very large in their packaging, you may need a hatchback to get it home, plasma's should be transported upright - not sure about lcd's.

This is a very generalised comment to make, and I have seen no firm opinions that would back you up. Both Plasma and LCD TVs have their own advantages and disadvantages e.g Plasmas can suffer from the "burn in effect" while LCDs don`t. You have a wider selection of larger-size TVs with plasmas (though LCDs are catching up). Sony have discontinued their range of Plasma TVs in favour of LCD going forward. What does this suggest?

Personally I think LCD has more going for it, but that is only my opinion. Check out some interesting pointers [broken link removed]

Agree should have preceeded that comment with in my opinion, but have to be honest have researched it for a long time and have an lcd and the quality is terrible even on a digital signal. Colours seem to run and dont look realistic, plasma to me seems to be the closest to CRT out there, Just stand in a shop and see if you can view plasma and lcd side by side. It is true both have advantages and disadvantages and plasma can suffer from screen burn but on reading a lot of threads on avforums , the new panasonic pv70 looks great, the px70 is the uk model with the digital freeview tuner. We have the one with the analogue tuner here.
That's the one i'd go for , but it's only my opinion!

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/

Decided

It's gonna be the Philips 5421 42' LCD

Reduced to 1299 !

mmmm Ps3 perhaps !

Back