Paying utilities with credit card for cashback

The Oggster

Is there a flaw with my plan to pay our utilities with the AIB Platinum Credit Card? I have already paid a large gas bill this month.

I don't see anything against this in the card T&Cs. What about the direct debit discount we have with utility companies? Technically we still have a DD mandate, it's just that there won't be a balance owed by the time it's due.

I will be clearing the CC every month.

Not that we will be rich from this, first €5k in a year is exempt and then it's 0.5% back.

Is there a flaw with my plan to pay our utilities with the AIB Platinum Credit Card? I have already paid a large gas bill this month.

I don't see anything against this in the card T&Cs. What about the direct debit discount we have with utility companies? Technically we still have a DD mandate, it's just that there won't be a balance owed by the time it's due.

Not that we will be rich from this, first €5k in a year is exempt and then it's 0.5% back.
So if you put say 10k on the card you end up with 5k x 0.5 % ie 25 euro back? Genuine question - Is it worth the hassle really?

Not sure about whether Credit card will be treated the same as Direct Debit, only your provider can confirm that for you for the Direct Debit discount. Personally I can't see why not, they still get paid. (I pay my sky broadband with credit card for example)

So if you put say 10k on the card you end up with 5k x 0.5 % ie 25 euro back? Genuine question - Is it worth the hassle really?

Yes that is correct. it is cumulative, once it is over 5K, that's when it counts for cashback (reset at end of year). I think it is worth it, not as much hassle as you think, I've been doing it for years. The way I see it is that you are spending money on things already anyway, what difference does it make by paying with credit card over debit card or cash. You are basically just off loading everything to one card.

You get interest free credit (up to 56 days, depending when the charge goes through), fraud protection (yes direct debit has it too but if you are paying anything in huge amount that require bank transfer (car or solar install) for example it certainly helps if they accept credit card - This is one of those moments)

You need discipline to pay for utilities on time and also to ensure CC is paid on time too.

If cashback or points were in the 2% zone I’d be bothered but not at 0.5% over €5k.

If you are using the credit card to pay for things, the credit card would be paid by direct debit so no worries about being on time as it is automatic.

Yes ideally everyone prefer higher rate but I would not scoff at it even if it is only 0.5%. It has more than enough to cover Stamp Duty and then some for me personally.

As I said above, if you are spending already anyway, it makes no difference using Credit card over the other form of payment when possible.

As I said above, if you are spending already anyway, it makes no difference using Credit card over the other form of payment when possible.
Am I right in thinking with AIB you also save the 20 cent transaction charge each month when the credit card direct debit doesn't go through as balance has already been cleared. And if you use your credit rather than debit card for all purchases over €50 as you can’t tap anyway, you also save all those 20 cent transaction charges. Could be several euro a month there.

Yes no fees for using the credit card to buy things in the shop (Tap or pin). The only thing is not to use it to withdraw money. This is key as they charges high rates for those. So use it for paying for goods or services only and you will be fine.

You can use Revolut as a way to pay DDs and standing orders from a credit card. Revolut allows you to add funds from a CC for no fee. Not all cards will give the cashback on transfers to financial institutions however.

This thread seems to suggest true dd from credit card is not possible

Sky was happy to take my Credit Card as a form of regular monthly payment. I guess it might depends on service provider to service provider

Edit: GOMO and 48.ie are both OK also.

Last edited:
Sky was happy to take my Credit Card as a form of regular monthly payment. I guess it might depends on service provider to service provider

Edit: GOMO and 48.ie are both OK also.
thats good, i wonder if utilities would work as variable amount payable

Back