Can you pay a direct debit using a credit card?

Max Weber

Specifically a three money card that i would top up?

I am a bit paranoid about handing over my bank details to anyone.

I can't answer for the specific instance, but I have a couple of debits paid by my credit card. I prefer to get all my payments on the same statement every month.

Technically, no. A direct debit cannot be made against a card, as it goes through SEPA, and must be made against an account.
However, similar function is achieved through a Recurring Card Payment (continuous payment authority). A lot of subscription services allow payment this way through cards.
It really depends on what you're trying to pay, and if the supplier can set up as a card payment.

In relation to your specific question re 3 money card, I'm a bit confused, but you might be using the wrong terminology.

It's not possible to set up a DD, so I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve? You can 'push' the money from your bank account, so a standing order would work. Or you can 'pull' the money from a debit card.

What are you trying to do, in plain English, and you'll get advice.

Edit: I think I misread your post - are you trying to top-up the 3 card, or you want to pay a direct debit using the 3 card?

Last edited:
Technically, no. A direct debit cannot be made against a card, as it goes through SEPA, and must be made against an account.
However, similar function is achieved through a Recurring Card Payment (continuous payment authority). A lot of subscription services allow payment this way through cards.
It really depends on what you're trying to pay, and if the supplier can set up as a card payment.

In relation to your specific question re 3 money card, I'm a bit confused, but you might be using the wrong terminology.

It's not possible to set up a DD, so I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve? You can 'push' the money from your bank account, so a standing order would work. Or you can 'pull' the money from a debit card.

What are you trying to do, in plain English, and you'll get advice.

Edit: I think I misread your post - are you trying to top-up the 3 card, or you want to pay a direct debit using the 3 card?

Yes this, I would ideally like to pay my broadband using my 3 money card. And not have to use my bank account.

You'll have to check with the provider. They're all different.

My wife's Vodafone is prepay, and is an auto top-up via card every month. Mine is bill pay, and the only way to do it was via direct debit.

Just remember, you've got far more control with a Direct Debit than a card payment. With the card, you've given the authorisation up front, so you've very little ability to do a chargeback. And only the supplier can cancel it. It's out of your control.
With a direct debit, you can cancel it via online banking. And under the SEPA scheme you can recall payments that were made within certain time limits.

Back