Pay for unemployed public servants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks Sophrosyne ... trying to do my bit. I was never a dosser and I've always done my best to earn my pay and I'm not going to start dossing now.

I also feel that the pupils in my class need a bit of structure and support at this surreal time in their lives.

It's also a help to parents (I would think) that I'm keeping them occupied educationally.

Well done, Paddy.

As someone who worked in the private sector during my working life, I am struck by your “get on with it” attitude compared to the sheer pettifoggery of the original post especially given the times that are in it.

If someone is getting paid anyway "well done" is hardly apt.
"Pettifoggery"..that's a nice word. Are you saying paying people public money for not doing any work is a non-issue?

There are people in all walks of life in Ireland who are unsung but carrying out essential sometimes voluntary behind the scenes work so that we can get through these distressing times.

Does you mean they should get paid for full time/part time/no time work just in case they decide to do voluntary work?

My own volition.

I'm actually doing more than my ordinary school hours. I was answering questions up to 11.00 p.m. last night.

I got to bed at 3.20 a.m. on Monday morning and up again a few hours later - I had to do a full revamp of the site over the weekend and it took ages to do that. And then I had to start adding content. I've set up query forms on the site and I get a notification on my phone when one is sent.

I get them at all times and all hours and I do respond fairly quickly to all of them.

On a personal level, that's great to hear Paddy.

Separately, anyone not being contractually obliged to work when getting paid is unacceptable though.

Separately, anyone not being contractually obliged to work when getting paid is unacceptable though.

You're right. We should of course stamp out the scourge of paid sick leave, paid holidays, maternity leave, toilet breaks, etc.....

You're right. We should of course stamp out the scourge of paid sick leave, paid holidays, maternity leave, toilet breaks, etc.....

I like your thinking there Leo. Ever considered running for political office?

They're unemployed if they are not working in their regular job, not working from home or have not been redeployed.

Adding to the national debt by paying people who are not working is a serious longterm issue
But that is exactly what the Government propose to do - subventing employees wages with the balance made up by employers for all those currently laid off by cafes , hotels , bars creche etc etc . and of course unemployment assistance has been dramatically raised.
Obviously far more private sector workers fall in to that category than public sector employees - perhaps you would be so good as to tell us how many public sector workers are currently not working in their regular job , not working from home or have not been redeployed- facts always help.
The States response seems to be designed to help businesses and employees as much as possible across all sectors and I applaud them for that.
Of course this process will be extremely costly- a burden that will have to be shared by all sectors of society in due course.
But hey let's get out of this crisis first and then we can reflect on matters that currently don't amount to a hill of beans.

This applies to most people who are now unemployed in the private sector; You are playing with words here.

So what? They didn't ask to be laid off... no more than anyone else in the private sector. They will be hit with the same taxation increases same as the rest of us

I'm a taxpayer and have a serious issue with people being paid out of the public purse for doing nothing. We live in a supposedly equal society so it is grossly inequitable to have a different set of rules for an already cosseted section of the workforce

They are far from cosseted... majority of them have volunteered to be deployed to HSE and Social Welfare, your begrugery is uncalled for

To answer the question about what my sister was doing behind the scenes in the library, she was working on IT stuff. She works with online resources and a lot of these are still available to library users even though the physical library is closed.

I like your thinking there Leo. Ever considered running for political office?

Two problems there, I don't have the criminal/ paramilitary background that's all the rage now, and my hard-line views (real or imaginary) tend to fall apart when I meet real people...

But that is exactly what the Government propose to do - subventing employees wages with the balance made up by employers for all those currently laid off by cafes , hotels , bars creche etc etc . and of course unemployment assistance has been dramatically raised.

Up to 80% with a cap; in the private sector

Obviously far more private sector workers fall in to that category than public sector employees - perhaps you would be so good as to tell us how many public sector workers are currently not working in their regular job , not working from home or have not been redeployed- facts always help.

Did you miss the question marks in my OP?

The States response seems to be designed to help businesses and employees as much as possible across all sectors and I applaud them for that.

How patronising. While the state sector gets their full wage with impunity.

Of course this process will be extremely costly- a burden that will have to be shared by all sectors of society in due course.

The cost of public sector pay and superannuation is being "shared" with the private sector under normal circumstances.

But hey let's get out of this crisis first and then we can reflect on matters that currently don't amount to a hill of beans.

Adding to already fiscally reckless public spending by paying people the same money for less or nothing is more than your hill of beans

So what? They didn't ask to be laid off... no more than anyone else in the private sector. They will be hit with the same taxation increases same as the rest of us

Why should one sector not be subject to the same pay reduction and cap as everyone else? The unemployed PS workers will be in a position to pay more tax after being at home on full pay without any associated travelling costs

They are far from cosseted... majority of them have volunteered to be deployed to HSE and Social Welfare,

Why should it be voluntary when they're public servants?

your begrugery is uncalled for

Expecting equality and accountability is not begrudgery

I thought AAM was right-leaning or is it just this forum that's populated with Trotskyites?

Any sign of figures of the amount of public sector workers not currently working at their regular job , not working at home or not being redeployed?
Lacking such figures then I suggest your argument is sunk at the waterline.
Personally I welcome the fact that the Government is striving to ensure that all employees across all sectors are being assisted

And This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept that this is the issue that is getting people wound up...…..

I thought AAM was right-leaning or is it just this forum that's populated with Trotskyites?
I always thought that AAM welcomed all views .
Would you change that and perhaps ban all views that do not coincide with your own or are you simply annoyed that your opening post didn't meet with universal approval?

Any sign of figures of the amount of public sector workers not currently working at their regular job , not working at home or not being redeployed?

That'll have to wait for an attempted FOI request post-crisis.

Lacking such figures then I suggest your argument is sunk at the waterline.

How convenient that would be

Personally I welcome the fact that the Government is striving to ensure that all employees across all sectors are being assisted

Unconditional full pay is not "assistance".

I always thought that AAM welcomed all views .
Would you change that and perhaps ban all views that do not coincide with your own or are you simply annoyed that your opening post didn't meet with universal approval?

All views are welcome but deliberate obfuscation, distraction and generally defending the indefensible serves no purpose.

And This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept that this is the issue that is getting people wound up...…..

Only me it appears Sunny with almost all of the other contributors replying in their own self-interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back