Pay for unemployed public servants

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real fun will start when they tell (ask?) teachers to work through the summer to catch up on missed time. I'd get the popcorn in for that one!

Nice irony..that'll never happen with the militant and omnipotent teaching unions

I'm sure the bona fida of your original post is swamped with accountability, pass the vomit bucket.

What fun? I'd be only to happy to row in. The fun would be trying to get homework done with the long, fine summer evenings beckoning both parent and child.

I don't think working over the summer would work anyway. Kids get tired and by the time September would come, they'd be knackered at the thought of 10 further school months ahead of them.

I don't see teachers not stepping up to the plate if push comes to shove. In the national interest and all that.

If I have to teach over the summer ... fine ... grand... no problem.
That's laudable Paddy but I believe you would be in a tiny minority.

The school year is not fit for purpose under normal circumstances as the summer holidays are for the time when help was needed on the farm.

lovely, folk that berate the public service and dress it up in accountability, nice folk.
Just to be clear, I'm not a public service basher. Can't afford to be; Mrs Boomer being a retired teacher and all! But she'd be the first to confirm that some of her former colleagues were, ahem, shall we say, lead swingers of the highest order. While others regularly went above and beyond.
Not unique to the teaching profession of course, or even unique to the public sector. There are good people and wastes of space in all sectors, public and private.

I am not saying that you don't have a point. And if the future, the Government decide to a benchmarking exercise, then I don't want to hear any trade union come and say that the Public Sector doesn't enjoy a job security that the private can only dream of. HOWEVER, do I want to see thousands of public sector or private sector workers unemployed at the moment. No is the simple answer. Yes, there are tough budget consequences for this but it is the same with every country. Stop paying a load of public sector workers might make you feel better for some odd reason but at the moment, I couldn't really care less about the cost of having a few public sector workers unable to work but still getting paid.
I think that after the 2% pay increase payable on the 1st October next the Unions representing Public Sector workers will be conscious of the societal and economic changes caused by this unprecedented crisis and will keep their powder dry until such time as the State can afford further across the board increases .
Not much point in destroying the massive goodwill currently being generated by public sector workers particularly front line workers who really have placed themselves in danger.

Last edited:
I think that after the 2% pay increase payable on the 1st October next the Unions representing Public Sector workers will be conscious of the societal and economic changes caused by this unprecedented crisis and will keep their powder dry until such time as the State can afford further across the board increases .
Brilliant! So after they get a pay they won't look for a pay rise.

And that folks is why there is hostility towards those in the unionised and public sector by some in the real economy. It is that rotten, selfish myopic attitude, the cancer that is trade unionism, which causes some people who can lose their jobs, who don't have job security, and who don't have pension security, to resent those who will never have such worries. It's a shame as most people in the state sector are hard working dedicated people who just want to get the job done and, as has been shown recently, are willing and able to step up during these extraordinary times.

Not much point in destroying the massive goodwill currently being generated by public sector workers particularly front line workers who really have placed themselves in danger.
Indeed, so why do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back