Pay for unemployed public servants

Status
Not open for further replies.
That'll have to wait for an attempted FOI request post-crisis.

How convenient that would be

Unconditional full pay is not "assistance".
So no facts to back up your argument then just pure speculation.
Anyway far more pressing matters to worry about.
Looking forward to continuing the discussion when you have facts to hand post - crisis.

So no facts to back up your argument then just pure speculation.
Anyway far more pressing matters to worry about.
Looking forward to continuing the discussion when you have facts to hand post - crisis.

Questions, Deisblue, Questions.
Yes little things like inequality don't matter to those who are benefitting from it.
There'll be no records kept, conveniently.

Anyway, I'm out as the absence of objectivity makes this discussion futile

Questions, Deisblue, Questions.
Yes little things like inequality don't matter to those who are benefitting from it.
There'll be no records kept, conveniently.

Anyway, I'm out as the absence of objectivity makes this discussion futile
Cheerio old chap- see you after the FOI request

On a personal level, that's great to hear Paddy.

Separately, anyone not being contractually obliged to work when getting paid is unacceptable though.
I don't know about that. Many Private sector employers are paying staff who are self isolating or have the virus.

Cheerio old chap- see you after the FOI request
Are you suggesting that the OP should have had the answer before asking the question?
Seems a bit Russian to me.
Are unemployed public servants subject to the same pay reductions and supports as announced for the private sector or have they all been redeployed, where possible, and their pay grade adjusted accordingly?

I thought AAM was right-leaning or is it just this forum that's populated with Trotskyites?

As I mentioned my career was in the private sector.

If this site were predominantly to the right or the left I wouldn’t bother posting as opinions would be immutable and encoded.

Most of the long-time posters here do not enslave their reasoning to the obdurate yoke of political leanings.

AAM is balanced.

Expect to be questioned and expect differing opinions.

I don't know about that. Many Private sector employers are paying staff who are self isolating or have the virus.
I don't mean absence due to illness and/or self-isolation Purple rather absence due to the service closing down.
And the private sector in the case you outlined is different as it's largely self-financing under normal circumstances whereas the public sector by definition is taxpayer funded

I don't mean absence due to illness and/or self-isolation Purple rather absence due to the service closing down.
Yea, but the public service hasn't closed down. Some public servants in some areas may not be able to work from home. Many of those have been redeployed.

And the private sector in the case you outlined is different as it's largely self-financing under normal circumstances whereas the public sector by definition is taxpayer funded
Sure, but public servants are also tax payers. There's plenty wrong with the public service in general but this isn't one of those things and now isn't the time to address it.

Yea, but the public service hasn't closed down. Some public servants in some areas may not be able to work from home. Many of those have been redeployed.

I know that; as I've clearly outlined, I'm talking about those that have not

Sure, but public servants are also tax payers. There's plenty wrong with the public service in general but this isn't one of those things and now isn't the time to address it.

Yes it is, the government is borrowing more money today which will be added to the national debt. Some current fiscal matters are complex and will need to be addressed in the future but unconditionally paying out of work public servants is not one of them.

Yes it is, the government is borrowing more money today which will be added to the national debt. Some current fiscal matters are complex and will need to be addressed in the future but unconditionally paying out of work public servants is not one of them.
How could you define those that are out of work or just waiting to be redeployed or waiting for their IT department to enable them to work from home or only working a few hours a week?
It's just not possible and to what end? Do we want to add to the list of people who won't be able to pay their mortgage or rent? Should they be left to starve? Should they get the same benefits as those who have lost their job in the private sector? What would the net gain be and given the mood of collective effort which we are seeing from everyone at the moment what would the damage be?

I thought AAM was right-leaning or is it just this forum that's populated with Trotskyites?
I would probably be considered right-leaning, and I'd side with the majority of posters on this thread that oppose your views on this particular topic.

I am not saying that you don't have a point. And if the future, the Government decide to a benchmarking exercise, then I don't want to hear any trade union come and say that the Public Sector doesn't enjoy a job security that the private can only dream of. HOWEVER, do I want to see thousands of public sector or private sector workers unemployed at the moment. No is the simple answer. Yes, there are tough budget consequences for this but it is the same with every country. Stop paying a load of public sector workers might make you feel better for some odd reason but at the moment, I couldn't really care less about the cost of having a few public sector workers unable to work but still getting paid.

The real fun will start when they tell (ask?) teachers to work through the summer to catch up on missed time. I'd get the popcorn in for that one!

What fun? I'd be only to happy to row in. The fun would be trying to get homework done with the long, fine summer evenings beckoning both parent and child.

I don't think working over the summer would work anyway. Kids get tired and by the time September would come, they'd be knackered at the thought of 10 further school months ahead of them.

I don't see teachers not stepping up to the plate if push comes to shove. In the national interest and all that.

If I have to teach over the summer ... fine ... grand... no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back