Pay for unemployed public servants

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATC110

I am unaware of any announcements about pay for now unemployed public servants by the government.

Are unemployed public servants subject to the same pay reductions and supports as announced for the private sector or have they all been redeployed, where possible, and their pay grade adjusted accordingly?

I accept that some public servants can work from home but is pay being reduced for those who are not providing a full-time service from home?

Certain jobs cannot be done from home such as those done by library and museum staff. Libraries were amongst the list of closures announced yesterday yet my local library has been closed for two weeks. Are these public servants still being paid?

There are no 'unemployed public servants' - if their section is closed: they are expected to work from home or be deployed to other departments. AFAIK they are all to be paid as normal.

There are no 'unemployed public servants' - if their section is closed: they are expected to work from home or be deployed to other departments. AFAIK they are all to be paid as normal.

I covered both those scenarios in my original post.

Public servants are unemployed if they are not working from home or have not been redeployed.

And working from home means for their contracted hours, which needs to be monitored and verified.

Public servants are unemployed if they are not working from home or have not been redeployed.

What about if they are doing their jobs? Your posts make little sense. As QC had told you already there are no 'unemployed public servants'.

And working from home means for their contracted hours, which needs to be monitored and verified.

Cameras in their houses?

What about if they are doing their jobs? Your posts make little sense. As QC had told you already there are no 'unemployed public servants'.
Do you now understand what this means?
Certain jobs cannot be done from home such as those done by library and museum staff. Libraries were amongst the list of closures announced yesterday yet my local library has been closed for two weeks.

In answer to ACT110's OP the answer is of course they are getting paid. They are the people who make the rules and always look after their own first.

Hi. Just a quick one on this. My sister is a librarian in the East of the country and is still working. For the first week or so she was still in the library working behind the scenes and she has now been redeployed to contact tracing for the HSE. I don't know about any other individual cases but I would imagine a lot of people would be redeployed to either the HSE or social welfare.

They are not unemployed - just temporarily removed from their work location due to a serious health hazard.

Easily done: logging in and logging out of the work-based system that is available via a secure portal. I have friends working from home doing this.

Can I ask why are you so concerned about this?

Thanks.

I'm up since 6.40 a.m. putting stuff up for the pupils in my class. I hate sweeping statements of condemnation about the Public Service.

And I'm still here, answering questions, clarifying learning outcomes and generally reassuring my pupils.
That's great. The OP was asking about public servants who were unable to work from home. I'm sure many can.
I'm in a sector which is critical to the supply of medical equipment so we can't close although we do have a number of people self isolating. Those who can work from home are doing so but everyone is getting full pay.

For the first week or so she was still in the library working behind the scenes and she has now been redeployed to contact tracing for the HSE.
What was there to do? There should not be any "behind the scenes" work in the public sector apart from in the interests of national security

I don't know about any other individual cases but I would imagine a lot of people would be redeployed to either the HSE or social welfare.

Conjecture is not reassuring

What was there to do? There should not be any "behind the scenes" work in the public sector apart from in the interests of national security
Contact tracing is important work and I'd imagine librarians would be ideally suited to the work, in as much as anyone is.

They are not unemployed - just temporarily removed from their work location due to a serious health hazard.

This applies to most people who are now unemployed in the private sector; You are playing with words here.

Can I ask why are you so concerned about this?

I'm a taxpayer and have a serious issue with people being paid out of the public purse for doing nothing. We live in a supposedly equal society so it is grossly inequitable to have a different set of rules for an already cosseted section of the workforce

Contact tracing is important work and I'd imagine librarians would be ideally suited to the work, in as much as anyone is.
I'm referring to the poster stating their sister was working behind the scenes in the library before being redeployed to the HSE

As no Public Sector workers are unemployed then the question is irrelevant.
Surely we have bigger things to worry about at this juncture than engaging in non factual based speculation.

They're unemployed if they are not working in their regular job, not working from home or have not been redeployed.

Adding to the national debt by paying people who are not working is a serious longterm issue

Thanks.

I'm up since 6.40 a.m. putting stuff up for the pupils in my class. I hate sweeping statements of condemnation about the Public Service.

And I'm still here, answering questions, clarifying learning outcomes and generally reassuring my pupils.

Can I ask is that a contractual requirement Paddy or are you doing it of your own volition? Also, will you be working the same number of hours as when doing your regular job?

Well done, Paddy.

As someone who worked in the private sector during my working life, I am struck by your “get on with it” attitude compared to the sheer pettifoggery of the original post especially given the times that are in it.

There are people in all walks of life in Ireland who are unsung but carrying out essential sometimes voluntary behind the scenes work so that we can get through these distressing times.

Keep up the good work.

doing it of your own volition

My own volition.

I'm actually doing more than my ordinary school hours. I was answering questions up to 11.00 p.m. last night.

I got to bed at 3.20 a.m. on Monday morning and up again a few hours later - I had to do a full revamp of the site over the weekend and it took ages to do that. And then I had to start adding content. I've set up query forms on the site and I get a notification on my phone when one is sent.

I get them at all times and all hours and I do respond fairly quickly to all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back