Pay by weight is back

Is 42Kg a month not enough ??

In 2015 my total weight for the Black bin was 31kg and 26kg for 2016
My Brown bin was 187Kg for 2015 and 317kg for 2016
I dont have a weight for our Green bin as Panda dont supply it yet but it goes out every 2nd week full

No, I was referring to Greyhound.
I'll post some of the email they sent me on this in the morning.

Edit- here's some of the email
Dear Customer,

We would like to advise you that your service plan will renew on 1st August 2017.

Your price plan for the next twelve months is €19.50 per month. To ensure collection in August please make sure payment is made before 1st August 2017. Click for ways to pay.

However, if you would prefer to be on our fair usage plan you can choose €16.50 per month*. This price includes a 10% discount on our standard price plan of €18.50 per month*.
The * refers to the 42kg limits mentioned earlier

Last edited:
Hi Delboy,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for not replying sooner but I had missed the 'edit' being the 'doh' that I am :(

Hard to figure out exactly where Greyhound are going with their different prices. They didn't offer any discount to my relative and the rate is €18.50 plus the fair usage charge.

So am I right in thinking that for €19.50 they might be able to avail of a flat rate with no weight restriction? If that's the case I'll tell them to give Greyhound a call tomorrow to haggle. If it is available to them it looks a far cheaper option.

Couple of questions

when Panda empty your bin, it's weighed but when they lift 2 bins at the same time is each bin weighed seperatly or the 1 weight divided between the 2 ??

Panda have informed Steven that they are phasing out the glass collection in DLRCC but I was under the impression that when appling for the tender Panda & Greenstar had to provide a glass colection ??

Couple of questions

when Panda empty your bin, it's weighed but when they lift 2 bins at the same time is each bin weighed seperatly or the 1 weight divided between the 2 ??

Panda have informed Steven that they are phasing out the glass collection in DLRCC but I was under the impression that when appling for the tender Panda & Greenstar had to provide a glass colection ??

The sensor in your bin under the lifting point is matched to your household account. It is obviously programmed to match the weight before tipping less the weight after tipping to your account to record the households waste. I presume there are two weighting scales (left and right) on the truck.

Yes, the two arms operate and weigh independently.

The Panda truck I was watching this morning had one swing arm that lifts 1 or 2 bins but not independently
I presume the scales is calibrated by Panda and then independently check by weights and measure every so often ??

So am I right in thinking that for €19.50 they might be able to avail of a flat rate with no weight restriction? If that's the case I'll tell them to give Greyhound a call tomorrow to haggle. If it is available to them it looks a far cheaper option.
I have a feeling they might have different price plans for different customers...most likely depending on how long your with them and your legacy plans, maybe also to do with locations?
But yes, my deal is €19.50 and no weight restrictions and seems to be for the next 12 months. Although the ads on the radio from the Dept of the Env saying 'pay by weight is here and flat rates are gone' has me confused.

I have a feeling they might have different price plans for different customers...most likely depending on how long your way them and your legacy plans, maybe also to do with locations?
But yes, my deal is €19.50 and no weight restrictions and seems to be for the next 12 months. Although the ads on the radio from the Dept of the Env saying 'pay by weight is here and flat rates are gone' has me confused.

Thanks for reply. Definitely confusing in light of Dept of Env statement. Sooner the better Regulator is appointed.

Relative rang them this morning and was very disappointed to be told that the only option available to them is the €18.50 and Fair Usage charge which at times would make it expensive.

Anyone know how this will affect those with communal bins e.g. apartments? I presume they will weigh the communal bins also now?

Is 42Kg a month not enough ??

In 2015 my total weight for the Black bin was 31kg and 26kg for 2016
My Brown bin was 187Kg for 2015 and 317kg for 2016
I dont have a weight for our Green bin as Panda dont supply it yet but it goes out every 2nd week full

Ours would be 28kg to 36kg per month through careful management, left to other household members, it would easily double.

42kg is definitely not enough when you have 2 in nappies!
And believe me, we recycle all that we can and use the brown bin as much as possible also

I have a feeling they might have different price plans for different customers...most likely depending on how long your with them and your legacy plans, maybe also to do with locations?

Greyhound confirmed on phone that they looked at people's usage and based their new rate on their usage and this was done to encourage people to use both green and brown bins more often. Despite the fact that people may have been with them for years, if they are slotted onto the €18.50 rate + fair usage this is the same as new customers are charged, so much for loyalty. As you have said if they are so worried about encouraging people to use their green and brown bins why have they set up a preferential rate of €19.50 with no weight restriction at all.

Where they are going to make a lot of money is where there will be 3 collections in one month and this appears to happen twice a year so their Fair Usage clause and the weight restriction applying per month will be a handy few bob for them.

Interesting to see also that SDCC handed over the contract for Ballymount recycle centre to Panda and prices are increasing. Some of the increase will apply to recycle material which just does not make sense :(

Just wondering to users living in the Dublin area have they shopped around with for waste. We are currently with Greyhound and we have Black, Green and Brown bin. We recycle everything and very rarely put the black bin out. However this will change soon as we have new born coming soon so could be more in the black bin.

Just wondering if they are all the same in relation to prices, give or take or is there much in the difference before I start researching on them

I found very little difference between the operators in my area. Greyhound came out cheapest because I seem to be on some sort of loyalty rate for being with them for so long.
Remarkable how all the prices are so similar...and even their proposed new prices last year before they backed down were all so similar. Truly remarkable

Just wondering to users living in the Dublin area have they shopped around with for waste. We are currently with Greyhound and we have Black, Green and Brown bin. We recycle everything and very rarely put the black bin out. However this will change soon as we have new born coming soon so could be more in the black bin.

Just wondering if they are all the same in relation to prices, give or take or is there much in the difference before I start researching on them

I'm in a similar position, recycle everything possible and have a home composter, so only put the black bin out a few times each year. I'm with Thorntons on the per-lift plan: €50 annual fee & €9.90 per black bin (max 40kg).

One of the problems is there's no reliable way of comparing. I don't about the other operators but Panda don't even publish their prices on their website, which is pretty scandalous in itself. Combine that with the fact that operators charge different amounts for different areas, and as one poster points out their may be loyalty discounts or combo discounts for availing of service bundles, fair usage limits etc. etc. The only price comparison I've seen is the one on this site.

Panda in the DLRCC area charge me,
Yearly Service Charge: €64
Black Bin Lift: €3.20
Black Bin Waste: €0.277 per Kg
Brown Bin Lift: €2.56
Brown Bin Waste: €0.16 per Kg
Green bin including glass is free

All prices are ex vat @ 13.5%

Ok rang around and I am living on the Northside of Dublin and the only option that I have is Greyhound, my current supplier. Thorntons,Panda, Green star none of them serve my area. Anyone know of others whom supply Dublin I can contact?

Thorntons chargers are €50 annual charge and €9.90 for black bin and €4.90 for brown. Did not write down the excess charges but its on their website I think

Greyhound annual charge €80 and then €10 for black bin and €3.60 for brown

Crazy other companies don't service my area?

Back