Pay by weight is back

Can I ask a question that I'm sure is a bit daft, but under the pay-by-weight model, how exactly do you know what you have been charged for? People don't usually weigh their wheelie bins, but do those collecting the rubbish tell you how heavy your bins were?

Can I ask a question that I'm sure is a bit daft, but under the pay-by-weight model, how exactly do you know what you have been charged for? People don't usually weigh their wheelie bins, but do those collecting the rubbish tell you how heavy your bins were?

Online Greyhound account shows weight of black bins... it's weighed on the lift before and after it's emptied, and the difference is your kg charge... although it's hard to independently know if their figures are reliably accurate for all lifts.

Online Greyhound account shows weight of black bins... it's weighed on the lift before and after it's emptied, and the difference is your kg charge... although it's hard to independently know if their figures are reliably accurate for all lifts.
Thanks!

If you dont wash the recylable containers is it not the same as putting food in the green bin??
It is. But it's clearly insane to be using energy and water to wash food containers, if the object of the exercise is to minimise overall environmental impact.

.....Some providers likely do a better job than others, but I think there's a lot of people who are just lazy or choose not to pay attention. Even where I work there are labels attached to the recycling bins clearly stating should and should not go in them, and yet supposedly well-educated people still put a lot of non-recyclables into the recycling bin. And in this instance there isn't even a financial incentive, it's just pure laziness.

Sadly, I have also seen that happen myself.

No harm saying it to the offenders, if you happen to see them dumping their rubbish in the wrong bins :)

.....We need a proper incineration-based system like they have elsewhere.

What do you mean by "a proper" system ?

Would you be happy to have a large incinerator near where you live ?

Would you be happy to have a large incinerator near where you live ?

Well there's already an animal waste incinerator a few hundred yards from my home, where BSE-infected carcasses and other lovely stuff is burned away. It stinks like hell at times too. Does that mean my opinions here count for more?

For what it's worth, incinerators should always be located in areas of high population as this ensures proper regulation and monitoring of their environmental effects. There is one bang in the centre of Vienna.

Last edited:
Oh, I've done that and received looks as if I had two heads!!

If at first you don't succeed......... :)

Well there's already an animal waste incinerator a few hundred yards from my home, where BSE-infected carcasses and other lovely stuff is burned away. It stinks like hell at times too. Does that mean my opinions here count for more?

No, it does not mean your opinion counts for more but it does mean that you've effectively answered my question :)

I would imagine the smell gets into your clothes while doing laundry, gets into all of the rooms in your house, then there's the flies etc. In my view, this will discourage potential buyers if and when you go to sell your house (so I hope it was factored into your negotiations, when you purchased :)).

For what it's worth, incinerators should always be located in areas of high population as this ensures proper regulation and monitoring of their environmental effects. There is one bang in the centre of Vienna.[/QUOTE]

I do not agree with you.

By all means, logistics should be considered but thereafter, keep them as far away from the more densely populated areas as possible. There is no reason why regulation and monitoring should be dependent on where the incinerator is located. Why put people through unnecessary discomfort (such as bad smells, more flies and who knows what else) when we don't have to ?

I would imagine the smell gets into your clothes while doing laundry, gets into all of the rooms in your house, then there's the flies etc. In my view, this will discourage potential buyers if and when you go to sell your house (so I hope it was factored into your negotiations, when you purchased :)).

The smell is rarely if ever that bad. Flies for whatever reason are never ever an issue. We've no plans ever to sell so that doesn't worry us at all. Other houses nearer the place have sold without undue difficulty in the past.

For what it's worth, incinerators should always be located in areas of high population as this ensures proper regulation and monitoring of their environmental effects. There is one bang in the centre of Vienna.

I do not agree with you.

By all means, logistics should be considered but thereafter, keep them as far away from the more densely populated areas as possible. There is no reason why regulation and monitoring should be dependent on where the incinerator is located. Why put people through unnecessary discomfort (such as bad smells, more flies and who knows what else) when we don't have to ?

Because if incineration plants adhere to basic standards, smells, flies and other discomforts are not an issue. They only ever are when some geezer cuts corners to save money.

And if you're in a densely populated area where the effects of even the slightest breach will be noticed by many people, that will serve as a powerful incentive not to cut such corners.

Last edited:
Had to empty out the recycling bin on Saturday and take out all the glass bottles that I always presumed were allowed. Brought them to the recycling centre in Ballyogan where I see they also take "soft" plastics too.

I also remember Panda sending out a notice that they take small electrical items but that is now on their Don't list...except they never notified us of this change.

Does anyone know the reason for these companies not taking items that are obviously recyclable?

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Had to empty out the recycling bin on Saturday and take out all the glass bottles that I always presumed were allowed.

Steven, Panda in DLRCC allow you put glass in the green bin, I know their website says you can't but in DLRCC we are allowed.

I think I read that there are no bottle banks in Dublin 1?

Suggestions
  • All bin companies and county councils should be mandated by central government to take glass bottles in the green bin.
  • Or, like the French approach every area\parish should have one.
  • Or, every shop selling alcohol over a certain size should be obliged to take them.
This will cut out unnecessary car trips to bottle banks, and would have to help reduce the amount of glass ending up either (a) on side of road or (b) in black bins.

Steven, Panda in DLRCC allow you put glass in the green bin, I know their website says you can't but in DLRCC we are allowed.

Just gave Panda a call and they said while they do accept glass in DLRCC, it is being phased out and they advise against putting glass in the green bin (of course they do!). I asked why they don't accept glass and they said it is too hard to separate it from the other recyclable materials.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

....I asked why they don't accept glass and they said it is too hard to separate it from the other recyclable materials.

I actually would have expected them to say that it's because they are afraid glass items will get broken and become dangerous for their staff when sorting etc. I think that would be quite reasonable in fairness.

I see e-mails are going out from Greyhound confirming renewal of set price contracts for August and in my relative's case it is €18.50 as opposed to €17.00 per month. In case anyone misses it the sneaky asterisk paragraph reads as follows:

*Fair usage policy: In line with industry standard practice a fair usage policy applies. Each month an allowance of 42kg is applied to your general waste bin after which you will be charged 30cent/ kg (but only for additional kg's above 42). Ninety percent of customers who actively use their brown bin use less than the 42kg allowance.

Looking at this person's Bin Collection History this would drive their bill up a lot and this is for an OAP living alone who does recycle a lot.

I see e-mails are going out from Greyhound confirming renewal of set price contracts for August and in my relative's case it is €18.50 as opposed to €17.00 per month. In case anyone misses it the sneaky asterisk paragraph reads as follows:
*Fair usage policy: In line with industry standard practice a fair usage policy applies. Each month an allowance of 42kg is applied to your general waste bin after which you will be charged 30cent/ kg (but only for additional kg's above 42).

I had a look at June 2016, there were actually 3 general waste collections in my area that month. You would expect two. The allowance should be per collection...
Need to see if I can figure out when next month of 5 thursdays is... possibly March 2018.

Was quite surprised that they can get away with renewing these contracts in light of the media coverage saying that they would no longer be allowed. In light of the fact that there were no weight restrictions originally this is quite sneaky really. No regulator of course for quite some time so lots of profit to be made especially for those who get caught out with the asterisk paragraph.

Overall I see trouble ahead as people's bills seem destined to increase quite a lot.

Greyhound have increased my standing charge by 25% to €19.50 per month, flat rate.

And yes, the * mention at the bottom of the email about fair usage of 42kg. Hadn't noticed that before. But this only applies if you go on their fair usage offer...it gives you a lower monthly rate of €16.50 but has that weight restriction.
I had 2 black bin lifts in June which came to 65.5kg. So I'd be hit with an extra €6.75 for the month if I went with that option.

And if it takes 2 more years for the Regulator to come in, I expect prices to continue to increase by 20%+ per year. And then a more Irish 5% or so per year as set by the Regulator after extensive review of the industry!

Last edited:
And yes, the * mention at the bottom of the email about fair usage of 42kg. Hadn't noticed that before. But this only applies if you go on their fair usage offer...it gives you a lower monthly rate of €16.50 but has that weight restriction.

Hi Delboy,

I don't see that offer anywhere of switching to the €16.50 monthly rate and fair usage offer.
Can you link to it please as I'm probably missing it?

Their website shows €18.50 p.m. and weight restriction appears to apply to this:

https://greyhound.ie/pricing-options-plans/

and e-mail received appears to show the weight restriction applying to the €18.50 charge too:

Recycle More & Pay Less

Dear Customer,

We would like to advise you that your service plan will renew on XXXX August 2017.
Your price plan for the next twelve months is €18.50* per month. To ensure collection in August please make sure payment is made before XXXX August 2017. Click here for ways to pay.

Please see our online direct debit mandate form. Simply complete this form online and submit it to ensure continuity of service.

S.gif

Households who actively use their brown bin create over
25% less black bin waste.

Actively separating your compostable waste highlights the amount of food we are buying and not using. The greatest saving you can make is to avoid waste to begin with. The EPA state that the average Irish Household is binning between 400-€1,000 worth of food waste each year.

There are numerous links to websites that help consumers use their brown bins. A recent initiative on brown bin use can be found at: foodwasteforum.ie

Dublin City Councils bye laws state that the use of the Brown (bio waste) bin should be prioritised over all other bins & that bins should not weigh more than 40kg.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you in advance for your continued support and custom. If there is anything you would like to tell us about our service, but don't have time to call, please send an email to [email protected].

Best Wishes,
The Greyhound Household Team.

*Fair usage policy: In line with industry standard practice a fair usage policy applies. Each month an allowance of 42kg is applied to your general waste bin after which you will be charged 30cent/ kg (but only for additional kg's above 42). Ninety percent of customers who actively use their brown bin use less than the 42kg allowance.

Back