Pay by weight is back

Nordkapp

The can kicked down the road by Coveny in July 2016 is now back on the menu.
Does not wildly affect me as I made changes when they last tried to bring this in.

Thorntons

Greyhound

AES ireland still have a flat rate collection indicated at the moment

[broken link removed] switched customers to E-Tag to facilitate the charging of pay by weight it seems.

Allied Recycling slipped in the E-tag option for all customers from April. Again it would seem pay by weight is going to be applied very soon.

Might be no harm to do a comparison of each firms charges given they are not supposed to be in a cartel and are under different ownership!

We've had pay by weight for at least two years if not more, was it only deferred in Dublin?

It was deferred in many areas outside Dublin and in parts of Dublin.
It will be interesting to see how large households fare under this system as it is penal to young families and families with more than 2 children. An analysis I did of my own waste charges for a family of 4 indicated my waste charge would increase by 160 Euro annually.

I've had pay by weight since we moved 5 years ago (DLR). For a realistic comparison, we have 2 young kids, one still in nappies, black bin goes out pretty full every 2nd week. Paid 330 for the last year with Panda.

Yes RedOnion, in our case it would go from 260 to 420 based on weights lifted for general waste. It was then I found there was to be a charge for recyclables as well. Will sit back and watch this one unfold.

The can kicked down the road by Coveny in July 2016 is now back on the menu.

Thorntons

That Thornton's page hasn't been updated since they deferred last year. Their options for new customers don't include a pay-by-weight option either, so I'd imagine it'll be some time yet before they introduce it.

I have a bad feeling that we are all going to end up paying more under this new system - regardless of the amount of waste we produce etc.

If the government really cared about promoting recycling then they would do more to encourage it - make it easy for people to recycle more products (i.e. bottles, electronics etc.)

Nice sentiment there MrEarl. But, remember when supermarkets gave over outside space for paper recycling and because of paper being abandoned all over the area, they ceased recycling paper altogether, but kept bottle/clothes recycling bins.

You see MrEarl, many of the Irish are a filthy race. We see it every day with rubbish being thrown from cars on our country roads. Our beaches are polluted with plastic and used nappies every time we get a little sun. There isn't a day goes by that I don't see people throwing cigarette butts from their cars. Our "yuppie" Saturday/Sunday markets are destroyed with spent plastic coffee/tea cups. There's glass broken on almost every road. How often do we come across used MacDonalds fast food papers thrown on our lawns? I could go on and on (as I usually do), but the bottom line is we are a filthy race.

The cure is to bring our rubbish home and then dispose of it, but filthy minded Paddys don't do that.

I have a bad feeling that we are all going to end up paying more under this new system - regardless of the amount of waste we produce etc.

If the government really cared about promoting recycling then they would do more to encourage it - make it easy for people to recycle more products (i.e. bottles, electronics etc.)

Yes, fully agree. My local recycling centre is €3 gate fee, I have no doubt to encourage recycling that it too will increase. I do a grey bin every 4 to 6 weeks. Last one weighted 28 Kg so i still have a bit of work to do. Polluter pays principle but there simply are not enough recycling areas around. My local recycling centre won't take clean plastic food cartons or polyethene bags!

Leper, you always tell a clean Paddy from the state of the inside of his car! Very general statements on the Irish race but one I would agree with in terms of waste is that we are not clean. However having been to London many times, they are not very clean either as there is a mix of race there from countries where fly tipping is the norm.

My local recycling centre won't take clean plastic food cartons !

Isn't that just ridiculous, what's the difference between plastic milk containers and plastic food containers.
The tax payer will pay again and yes prices will spiral upwards. Of course they should be more local recycling banks but many have been removed because people abused the facilities as they were dumping all sorts of rubbish into them.

Isn't that just ridiculous, what's the difference between plastic milk containers and plastic food containers.

High-density polyethene Vs polypropylene. They're different materials and polythene is more widely accepted.

According to Naughten:

"From now on, waste companies will still be allowed to apply standing charges, but they will also have to contain a usage element such as pay-by-weight or pay per lift."

I currently pay a standing charge and I pay per lift so does that mean I will see no changes to charges? Still no word from Greenstar !

Nothing up on the Oxigen website either. Sure, there is only three days to go to 1 July, why bother informing customers!! They have only had a year to get their act together.

Of course I wouldn't have much confidence in them anyway given that one of their press releases is titled 'Sponsership' (sic)...

Is it not the case that the operators have to wait for the politicians to decide what they will permit the industry to do, therefore the operators have been waiting for the legislation to be cleared?

I was at the airshow in Paris last week and one thing that was very noticeable to me was there was no litter.
People were careful to put it in bins.

That said, there were big bins everywhere and resources assigned to keeping the place clean.

I was at the airshow in Paris last week and one thing that was very noticeable to me was there was no litter.
People were careful to put it in bins.

That said, there were big bins everywhere and resources assigned to keeping the place clean.

Nice to know that some people are capable of doing the right thing. Have you seen the pictures of Glastonbury after the festival finished? It's just one huge sea of litter.

Back