Parking ticket - for what?

W

witchymand

I parked my car off a road, the Kilmacud road near stillorgan whilst I got the luas into town, I was not the only one parked here there were about 45 cars in front of mine and about 25 on the other side of the road.
The road had no yellow lines, and also had no clearway sign or any kind of sign up for that matter. Anyway when I got back to my car the police had left a parking ticket for 19euro, and had ticked on it 'parking prohibited' - I can't see why I should have to pay this as there were no signs whatsoever.
personally I think it is just a money making scam to get people to try and use the luas car parks which is also a scam that doesn't seem to be taking off, as only about 15 cars were in the luas car park, more were on the road.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks

Can't say for sure why you got the ticket but might be an idea to ring the local Kilmacud Garda station and ask for their advice/explanation.

I parked on the one side road in Dun Laoghaire that people are allowed to park on (I was doing work out there for a few months) One day I came back to find a parking ticket.

I bought it to the local constabulary, explained my case, and they voided it.

If there are no signs up, or you weren't parked opposite a continuous white line etc... then you can probably get it voided. The ticket should have details such as time of offence and location so it should be easy enough.

How close were you to a junction or traffic lights?

I cycle along Herbert Road and Lansdowne Road on the way into work.

Drivers simply abandon their cars anywhere along these roads, presumably because there is no sign up saying "no parking" or no double yellow line. But many of these cars are parked illegally for the following reasons:
1) there is a continuous white line in the middle of the road.
2) They are parked within 5(?) meters of a junction
3) they are parked on a footpath

I have reported them often, especially when they park actually on the roundabout, but the Gardai rarely ticket them, and Control Plus rarely tows them away.

Brendan

[Dublin City Council] Parking Policies in Dublin City (my underlining):

Other Parking Restrictions

It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users, for example

<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>On a footpath (either partly or wholly).</li><li>Within 5 metres of a junction.</li><li>Within 15 metres on the approach side or 5 metres on the other side of a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights.</li><li>Obstructing any entrance for vehicles except with the occupier's consent.</li><li>At a school entrance. </li><li>On a grass margin or media</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->

Control Plus rarely tows them away.

Maybe [broken link removed] will do a better job?

Can anyone clarify about you not being allowed park if there is a continuous white line in the middle of the road??

Continuous white line in centre of a two-way road

Continuous white line in centre of a two-way road

[broken link removed]
S.I. No. 182/1997: ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997
Prohibitions on Parking
36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;
( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;
( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;
( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;
( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;
( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;
( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;
( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—
(i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];
(ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or
(iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];
( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;
( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;
( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;
( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 stop; or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus

Its interesting to note also that some local authorities have bye laws prohibiting the siting of skips which are an exact carbon copy of the parking prohibition above.

ajapale

Re: Continuous white line in centre of a two-way road

Hopefully it won't be too long before that entire area is banned to cars parking, it is causing serious problems getting into Sandyford across the Luas Tracks up from Kilmacud. One lane is now effectively taken by people parking there to use the Luas, therefore traffic is obstructed and tickets handed out.

It is irritating with all the cars parked on the road near the LUAS station there but then again it costs €4 a day on top of your €3.80 return ticket if you had to use the car park which is seriously expensive. I don't blame people for using the main road considering the alternative.

Sounds like a typical mess, caused by bad management.
If they reduced the price of the car park, more people might use it, ultimately increasing profits.

Any unused space is a loss.

IIRC, LUAS / Sandyford offers 90 carpark spaces. Just 1/3 of 1 tram's capacity.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Multi-story carpark; tax break; LUAS; Park 'n Ride.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Is there a message here?

Can anyone clarify about you not being allowed park if there is a continuous white line in the middle of the road??

Just to clarify legend, you cannot park opposite a continuous white line, because in so doing, you then force motorists to illegally cross the white line to pass your vehicle.

What if the road is wide enough to take a car passing you even if there is a white line??

As an aside, from looking around during my drive to the local shop to get a sandwich and collecting the little one at lunch time, that most people seem to take parkign regulations as a bit of a laugh. Even more so when I saw the garda car 2 cars in front of me drigin past cars parked on pedestrian crossings...

Re: ..

IIRC, LUAS / Sandyford offers 90 carpark spaces. Just 1/3 of 1 tram's capacity.

According to [broken link removed] Sandyford P&R offers over 100 spaces. Each Luas tram can carry 350 people. You are presumably assuming that each car will carry a single Luas passenger? Not an unreasonable assumption in Dublin but perhaps motorists need to learn how to use their vehicles more efficiently?

What if the road is wide enough to take a car passing you even if there is a white line??

The following seems totally unambiguous in this context to me:

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

most people seem to take parkign regulations as a bit of a laugh

Hopefully they'll see the funny side of things when they're slapped with a fine or towed so.

I'm sorry - but this sort of a question shouldn't even be asked... esp by a fully (I assume) licensed driver. This is the kind of scenario that a person sitting for a theory test would be faced with... plain and simply you cannot, under any circumstances park opp. an unbroken line - regardless of how wide the road is or isn't.

I think the above is a valid demonstration that there are alot of people who need a refreshers course on the rules of the road.

A car might be able to pass, but would a fire-engine? If you had parked your 18-wheeled juggernaut, would a fire-engine be able to pass?

I think the above is a valid demonstration that there are alot of people who need a refreshers course on the rules of the road.

The scary thing is that many many older drivers have never read the rules of the road. Their knowledge therefore on technicalities like this is very poor. Hopefully the introduction of proper theory tests is helping to ensure drivers are more educated on the rules of the road. But generally speaking, driver knowledge is of a very poor standard. Just take peoples behaviour on roundabouts or motorways as a typical example. IMHO the gardai should make more effort to stop people and "educate" them on the rules of the road.

Just take peoples behaviour on roundabouts or motorways as a typical example. IMHO the gardai should make more effort to stop people and "educate" them on the rules of the road.

Tell me about it. Driving on the M50 yesterday. Was in the right hand lane. Yes...I know it's the overtaking lane but if people only used it as an overtaking lane we'd get nowhere. There's heavy traffic on that road 24/7.
Anyway, back to my story...was keeping a reasonable distance between myself and car in front. Cars in the left hand lane were going a lot slower. I was doing bang on 70 and keeping up with car in front of me. Then all of a sudden this beamer shoots up behind me out of nowhere. Obviously going very fast and had to slow down significantly when he got up behind me. The ****** sat on my ass for about 4 miles, occasionally flashing me. Even if I'd wanted to I couldn't move lanes and there was no point anyway - heavy traffic right in front of me. The mind boggles at these people. Driving four inches behind another car on a wet motorway doing 70mph!!!

The clincher for me was when he finally zipped past me at the toll bridge. Wife in the passenger seat and his two children in the back seat!

The sad thing is this is the norm on the M50. Always has been.

I wish our gardai really took motorway driving seriously. I'd ban drivers from using motorways for periods of time for driving dangerously like this. Pull them over and give them immediate 2 month bans or something. Never gonna happen mind you.

Back