Own brand versus branded recommendations

Thank you for saying this, I thought I was imagining it!
Yeah even my Mam and Dad separately said this, they are 75 and would have been avid Superquinn sausage fans but they said they are awful now.
I did get a €20 voucher for my complaint which was nice but ummm, can you just make the sausages the way you used too please??
 
Anyone remember Hafner's Pork Butchers in South Great George's Street?

I was on a training course in Manchester back in the 70's (1970's please there at the back!!) and the owner of the hotel I was staying in was a big Hafner's fan. He heard in the bar I was from Dublin and sought me out one evening to ask me if I could send him sausages when I came back home. He offered me money but I declined. For the next few years I sent him sausages on a regular basis and I never had to put my hand in my pocket whenever I visited the hotel. He didn't care that they were business trips paid for by my employers.

Pre EEC/EU, you could send all kinds of stuff in the post. Flying into London or Manchester, I'd bring goodies in my luggage and post from there. Hafner's also had their unique, ultra-secret, seasoning they used on pork chops; chops have never been the same since. I see the name is being used by someone else now. It was the busiest butcher's I ever remember being in.
 
nothing for us humble trolley-pushers?
Just back from Dunnes and I'm guessing they knew I was coming as the offer is up in he "Simply Better" section
And it has been reduced to €5.50 from €6 when I last bought it in August
The best deal is to combine the sausages rashers and the eggs together and buy the pudding separately
'Superquinn' sausages (supervalue / musgraves now) have gone downhill so much
I know from experience that Superquinn were very protective of their sausages but I'm guessing since their no longer around that has changed??
They might have moved from using belly pork in the recipe to just pork which would change the profile of the sausage
but even then I'd reckon most of the issues like them been "fatty" comes down to how the sausage meat is processed or chopped before been filled into their casings
There's still a Hafners branded sausages in the supermarkets, seems like Mallons bought the brand.
Yes Mallons make a lot of the branded sausages in the supermarkets, including the Dunnes brand
If you look at the back of the packaging there should be a little circle with IE EC and a plant number which will give you an idea who makes what
 
Sausages - who doesn't like a nice pork sausage? I certainly do and I'm just about to try these for a change, €2.49 for 454 grams (1 lb?), 6 sausages in LIDL, pricey enough at almost €0.42/sausage.
Nice and meaty, very flavourful with neither the honey nor the mustard dominating. I cooked mine in the air-fryer and left them just a trifle too long on one side. 2 sausages and three boiled spuds made a nice lunch. Cooked all 6, sausage rolls with tomato/beetroot and maybe lunch with double cooked spuds from the air-fryer with the balance

Nice one mathepac :)
 
I thought I'd posted this already but I can't find it.

Sausages, look at the back of the packet. If the ingredients list anything less than 80% Irish pork, I suggest you leave them on the shelf.
 
But the other 20% is where the flavour is. Ones that are too high % taste too porky and not enough sausagey.

Clonakilty Ispíní for example are only 55% pork and 8% pork fat but taste much nicer than some high-pork gourmet sausages.
 
Sausages, look at the back of the packet. If the ingredients list anything less than 80% Irish pork, I suggest you leave them on the shelf.
Amen.

I still can't get away from the Superquinn/SuverValu own brand taste though.

Aging does affect your sense of taste so might be a factor for some. The change might be you, not the product.
 
Still doesn't sound like a great deal for two packs
I think I'd disagree with you here, yes It's not a great deal compared to what was originally on offer
but compared to the other brands on sale in Dunnes Cornelscourt and their "quality" it's a very good deal
And I'm guessing that compared to a "Deli/Butcher shop" offering the quality is as good if not better and price per Kg cheaper even before voucher
 
Superquinn / Supervalue sausages are the best. Tesco finest are very good also though, in my opinion....
 
No sausage is 100% meat so it just means 100% of the meat content is Irish. But imo you shouldnt need to be adding MSG (e621) to sausages.
 
Back
Top