Own brand versus branded recommendations

Yes but ironically people who embark on methadone intake more sugary foods and put on weight, your fun fact for the day. That's why typically they can have poor oral health / missing teeth etc.
Reduced saliva production is a greater factor, that and the increased sugar cravings are common to both heroine and methadone use.
 
I found this today by accident rooting around the newly laid out Tescos in Cashel Co Tipperary. That's a 1.5kg bag for €1.19. Unusually in my porridge experience, this product is steamed then packaged. Is this a processed food then? It has their recipe on the back of the bag, but I'll stick with my own and report back.
 
Last edited:
Sure I get that but usually only processed to the extent that they are ground to break the husks and render the kernels bio-available. Otherwise they just pass straight through us.
 
CENTRA's packaging makes no mention of steaming, just Rolled Oats, which would be my observation with other brands

IMG_2972.webp
 
Ingredients will only list what is contained not how it is processed e.g. banana could be listed in ingredients, this may well be chopped or peeled etc but it only needs to list "banana"

FYI, I am no oat expert but I understand the rolling process often requires steaming by its very nature (i.e. in order to roll the oats) so this maybe a new surprise for you! :)
 
Last edited:
Tesco Porridge Oats 1.5Kg €1.19 - similar product is the same price in LIDL/ALDI

First couple of bowls consumed and my impression is that there seems to be significantly more shiny husk-type material present than what I was used to in other products. It isn't visible in the uncooked porridge but I can detect it in my mouth. Unpleasant and unchewable stuff. I'll stick with it for now (not much choice!) and I stress this is subjective as I didn't do a side-by-side test - please treat it as such.
 
Sausages - who doesn't like a nice pork sausage? I certainly do and I'm just about to try these for a change, €2.49 for 454 grams (1 lb?), 6 sausages in LIDL, pricey enough at almost €0.42/sausage.

Curious about the contents, I looked at the back of the packaging and discovered they contain "80% Irish pork". I picked up a few other packets on adjacent shelves and discovered some contain as little as "50% pork". Branded alternatives on the shelves in other outlets seem to vary from 55% to 70%. I didn't get prices.

It might be worth your while looking out for pork content on your favourites.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2986.webp
    IMG_2986.webp
    192.5 KB · Views: 1
The Dunnes offer seems to be for home-delivered product only, nothing for us humble trolley-pushers? :)
 
The Dunnes offer seems to be for home-delivered product only, nothing for us humble trolley-pushers?
Where do you see that it's delivery only? I use the online site for browsing but afaik the prices are all the same.
I availed of it about 2 weeks ago in store with those 3 products. They used to have signs up for it in my local store but not for a while. But it still seems to be on active in store at the till. I'll keep and eye out when I'm in Dunnes at weekend and see if I get the discount.
 
The Dunnes offer seems to be for home-delivered product only, nothing for us humble trolley-pushers?
I haven't availed of this offer in a while as I had a lot of Irish breakfasts on my trip around Ireland
but it is available in store as a "Link-Saver" but not advertised now and I believe maybe slightly different to the online offering
I get 9 SB sausages, 5 SB rashers or SB streaky rashers and 1 stick of black or white pudding
Shelve price is €7.77, the offer brings it down to €6 and then the voucher knocks a further 20% off, so all in for €5.40
Pair it with hash browns or potato cakes and eggs and you've got a great breakfast, brunch or a mixed grill depending on when you eat it

Not sure if instore you can sub the pudding for the eggs, it used to be in the advertisement but haven't seen one in a while
but the stick of pudding can be swapped for the pack of both Black & white pudding

As a side note from somebody who knows a lot about this area, the Dunnes SB sausage is a good sausage better then a lot of the other branded ones out there and if I was to fault it in anyway is that it could do with a little bit more seasoning to make the taste pop
 
As a side note from somebody who knows a lot about this area, the Dunnes SB sausage is a good sausage better then a lot of the other branded ones out there and if I was to fault it in anyway is that it could do with a little bit more seasoning to make the taste pop
RE sausages
'Superquinn' sausages (supervalue / musgraves now) have gone downhill so much, I actually complained to Supervalue about it. They said nothing has changed of course.
Very fatty and gristly.

Back to the Kearns sausages!
 
Back
Top