OK! defend Goody tribute edition

DerKaiser

OK! magazine has defended its decision to publish a "tribute" edition to Jade Goody even though she is still alive.
This week's copy of the magazine carries a black border, the banner "Jade Goody Official Tribute Issue 1981 - 2009" and the strapline "In Loving Memory".

Enough is enough. Isn't it time people stopped buying these crappy magazines?

I hate all those mags but it's usually easy to ignore them.

Publishing any reference to imply the end of someone's life before they have actually died is just totally tasteless and offensive - however imminent their death may be.

Thats kinda crazy. I have never heard or seen something like this before.. did she die without us knowing?!

It does seem a bit tasteless to do it before she actually dies. Especially with the "1981-2009" header and black band.

For crying out load.... do these Mags have timing issues ?? , would holding off a few weeks be to hard to do before the inevitable (God bless Her ).

Why this week , have they so much crap to put in their Mag that they cant let a a schedule slip ?

I imagine that given Ms Goody's long running affiliation with the magazine and the large sums of money she receives from all of the photoshoots that she was well aware of the 'tribute' and would have been handsomely paid for it. In fact I heard today that she did a book deal this week i.e her diary will be turned into a book. From what I know of OK, they seems to have three topics which they continually run in the magazine either Jordan and her repeated weddings to her husband, jade goody or the mess that is Kerry Katona. I guess the other two haven't been up to much lately hence the tribute to Goody.

I do think that this absolute obsession with Goody is disgraceful, I feel sorry for her because she is a young woman with kids who is dying but millions of women and men die from cancer world wide and this outpouring of grief for one is bloody irritating. I can only imagine that we will see scenes that would rival the circus of Princess Dianas funeral if/when the poor girl does die - with full coverage by OK magazine of course!

Jade goody has pretty much been writing her own tribute for the last number of weeks with daily updates of 'this could be my last day'. Yes its sad if she dies but she is such a non-entity that it galls me to see such coverage. There cannot or at least should not be such interest in her life or her death and if she does die and they try and put together a list of her achievements that have merited such blanket coverage then they may realise that it has all been much ado about nothing. I hope she recovers and lives a long and happy life but please take her away from the front page and lets have some real stories for a change.
I think her legacy may well be that many naive young girls may feel that being thick is the way forward (even though I would doubt very much that she is as brainless as she portrayed herself for so long).

Jade goody has pretty much been writing her own tribute for the last number of weeks with daily updates of 'this could be my last day'. Yes its sad if she dies but she is such a non-entity that it galls me to see such coverage. There cannot or at least should not be such interest in her life or her death and if she does die and they try and put together a list of her achievements that have merited such blanket coverage then they may realise that it has all been much ado about nothing. I hope she recovers and lives a long and happy life but please take her away from the front page and lets have some real stories for a change.
I think her legacy may well be that many naive young girls may feel that being thick is the way forward (even though I would doubt very much that she is as brainless as she portrayed herself for so long).

Well said.

I never buy any of these mags and still its hard to get away from it. I have said that if brave and milking it is the same thing then yes Jade is brave. Of course I feel sorry for her but that goes without saying but I don't know her so don't need/want a day by day account.

I know its sounds hard but where will it stop - wasn't there another girl sporting her black eye all to highlight domestic abuse.

When I buy a mag all I want is hair clothes and make up - not to much to ask you would think.

As long as people continue buy these magazines and support what they stand for (inappropriate levels of intrusiveness into the lives of 'D' list celebrities) then this sort of thing will remain commonplace

She’s just another loud-mouth annoying half-wit who happens to be dying young. I have no problem with her prostituting her tragic end to the media; she’s trying to leave her children with some money. The problem is the Hello/OK reading, Living TV watching people with a macabre voyeuristic addiction to the mundane and inane who go into a frenzy because one of the people they loved to laugh at for the last few years has just become a martyr, slowly being sacrificed on the high altar of vacuous gloss pap.

She’s just another loud-mouth annoying half-wit who happens to be dying young. I have no problem with her prostituting her tragic end to the media; she’s trying to leave her children with some money. The problem is the Hello/OK reading, Living TV watching people with a macabre voyeuristic addiction to the mundane and inane who go into a frenzy because one of the people they loved to laugh at for the last few years has just become a martyr, slowly being sacrificed on the high altar of vacuous gloss pap.

You couldn't summarise it much better than that.

Well she's dying, theres no recovery to be had. Still pretty tastless though, having what amounts to an obituary published before you're dead?

Only thick young women will think that being thick is a way forward to anything.

maybe impressionable young girls will be fooled either way she's no role model. The fact that Max clifford is managing her last weeks would suggest that she would have had knowledge of the 'tribute' in advance and it is another money spinner.

No, really Purple - why don't you just say it straight! All that beating around the bush and all that!!!! :p

Mind you, its so tasteless and undignified. As my OH says - who are these people and what makes them famous?

I suppose its the old 15 minutes of fame and all that.

mf

I grant you Jade Goody is the poster girl for everything I despise about the so-called celebrity culture of recent years - someone who is famous with no underlying talent.

But I don't think she should be criticised for this. She didn't force anyone to buy the magazines or watch the reality television programmes in their millions. But when the opportunity to make a small fortune from it came about, she grabbed it. If this was business, she'd be hailed as a successful opportunist. I'm reminded of the old biblical parable of the talents - Ms. Goody wasn't blessed with too many discernible talents and by all accounts had a fairly underpriveliged upbringing. But she has achieved a heck of a lot in her short life to date and used her talents to the fullest. I'd imagine that if it's managed correctly, her earnings will give her sons a better start in life than she herself had. She has also been responsible for a massive increase in awareness of the need for smear tests among young women.

To be clear, I'm not critical of Jade herself on this one - she's just doing what she does best. It's the magazine that I think are at fault they should have said no IMO - at least until after the woman had passed away.

Back