OK! defend Goody tribute edition

I grant you Jade Goody is the poster girl for everything I despise about the so-called celebrity culture of recent years - someone who is famous with no underlying talent.

But I don't think she should be criticised for this. She didn't force anyone to buy the magazines or watch the reality television programmes in their millions. But when the opportunity to make a small fortune from it came about, she grabbed it. If this was business, she'd be hailed as a successful opportunist. I'm reminded of the old biblical parable of the talents - Ms. Goody wasn't blessed with too many discernible talents and by all accounts had a fairly underpriveliged upbringing. But she has achieved a heck of a lot in her short life to date and used her talents to the fullest. I'd imagine that if it's managed correctly, her earnings will give her sons a better start in life than she herself had. She has also been responsible for a massive increase in awareness of the need for smear tests among young women.

Well said LD

She’s just another loud-mouth annoying half-wit who happens to be dying young. I have no problem with her prostituting her tragic end to the media; she’s trying to leave her children with some money. The problem is the Hello/OK reading, Living TV watching people with a macabre voyeuristic addiction to the mundane and inane who go into a frenzy because one of the people they loved to laugh at for the last few years has just become a martyr, slowly being sacrificed on the high altar of vacuous gloss pap.
Very well put Purple. But I'm going to warn DH that I don't want you penning my obituary - in case you tell the truth :eek:. Beautifully and brutally!:D

Does anyone not think that this is very ghoulish?

From watching what is a blow by blow account on Living TV , I feel somewhat dirty from watching it. Are they going to document her eventual death in as much detail?

Does anyone not think that this is very ghoulish?

From watching what is a blow by blow account on Living TV , I feel somewhat dirty from watching it. Are they going to document her eventual death in as much detail?
I didn't think that a man of your calibre could be so shaken. Not to mention stirred :)

I imagine that given Ms Goody's long running affiliation with the magazine and the large sums of money she receives from all of the photoshoots that she was well aware of the 'tribute' and would have been handsomely paid for it. In fact I heard today that she did a book deal this week i.e her diary will be turned into a book. From what I know of OK, they seems to have three topics which they continually run in the magazine either Jordan and her repeated weddings to her husband, jade goody or the mess that is Kerry Katona. I guess the other two haven't been up to much lately hence the tribute to Goody.

I do think that this absolute obsession with Goody is disgraceful, I feel sorry for her because she is a young woman with kids who is dying but millions of women and men die from cancer world wide and this outpouring of grief for one is bloody irritating. I can only imagine that we will see scenes that would rival the circus of Princess Dianas funeral if/when the poor girl does die - with full coverage by OK magazine of course!
Agreed. I saw the magazine in my local shop just this evening and I think this is a new low-albeit that it is done with her full agreement and so forth.

I haven't seen or read the mag (great marketing going on there!) but from what I've seen on this thread, I bet it will be one of their better selling editions.

This kind stuff has been predicted. The running man film with Arnie in it, also had game shows such as 'climbing for dollars' etc. There was also some other film I can't remember the name of, where someone had their whole life filmed, but they didn't know it.

Wait another few years and we'll be televising people fighting lions in arenas...

As my OH says - who are these people and what makes them famous?...
Who are these famous and what makes them people? :)

God help the poor suffering young woman, but what happens if she doesn't die to suit the magazine's publication schedule? Do they take the money back off the kids?

Truman Show

Great film, and the main character was interesting and entertaining.

Have no problem with Goody exploiting her illness for wealth for her family. While this has highlighted the Illness to the mass media, i dont believe that it was goodys main intention to be an ambassador to highlight it.

Im with LDFerg on this one. Hate "celebs" with no talent.

Anybody who thinks that they are doing anybody a service by publishing this tripe has obviously lost their moral compass (if they ever had any!).

Well she has died now. OK magazine should have waited for 1 week and there would have been no controversy.

God rest her. At the end of the day she was a human being whose passing has left two little boys without a mum. Get a grip all those of you who vilify/vilified her in her last days.

When all is said and done, a young woman has died leaving two young boys without a mother. I just hope the money she left and the father who will be raising them give them a better start in life than she herself had.

I found the whole media thing a bit hard to take but I understood why she allowed it. Those boys were her world and she wanted to provide for a future she wouldn't be around for.

God bless her and her wee boys.

I feel incredibly sad for her two young sons. I have tragically lost my mother when I was 26 and a few years on, I still feel too young to deal with such enormous loss. How they will cope is beyond my imagination.

However, I have found the whole public battle with cancer very distasteful and goulish. Personally, I think that it was badly packaged - 'I'm doing this for the money' while 'I've been silly and I want to make sure that others don't make the same mistake (ignore letters from the hospital)' would have gone down a lot better with many who criticised Ms. Goody. She still would have gotten paid for it but the whole campaign would be percieved as altruistic rather than 'milking it'. Didn't she already have a good few millions in the bank, property, etc. which would have set up her children for good life? Isn't their father also not short of a few bob? Plus, there are millions of people from modest backgrounds with good education. That's what student loans and student jobs are for.

I think her legacy may well be that many naive young girls may feel that being thick is the way forward (even though I would doubt very much that she is as brainless as she portrayed herself for so long).

I was in an upmarket store the other day shopping for a pair of wedding shoes. Visibly affluent mother and a teenage daughter were trying on shoes right next to me and when the daughter asked if she could have an exquisite pair of designer sandals (retailing at €500+), the mother said 'sure, I'll get the money out of your college fund and you'll have to sort out your own education'. The daughter's response was 'you don't need education to be succesful nowdays, look at Jade!'. I can tell that the mother was joking but the daughter was dead serious.

I found the whole media thing a bit hard to take but I understood why she allowed it. Those boys were her world and she wanted to provide for a future she wouldn't be around for.
How much money did she need to provide for the boys? Were the millions she earned as a media-whore for the preceeding five years or so not enough to cover a decent education?

I have to say I felt that she didnt need to make so much money for her kids. I'm sure their dad isnt short of a few bob being a tv presenter. She had a large house that could be sold to support them if needed. I think she went a little too far.

I think the 'it was for the kids' bit was to make it more acceptable for the general public to swallow and so that everyone would feel less like they were watching and waiting for a woman to die before their eyes. She lived before the camera, she gave us such joys as..... well really she gave us nothing but she is a national treasure because....

If it really was about the kids then the kids are now going to be the next story and they will be the focus of the media soon enough. Will they go off the rails, will they fall into drugs etc etc. Whether they like it or not they are now part of their mothers circus.

Back