Northern Rock deposits sold to PTSB

Nope.

The reality is that the Revenue are only likely to go after those that have very large deposit interest.

"You do not have to pay any further tax on the interest but it is declared as income if you are making a tax return"

Exactly for most people.

Some people are subject to a further tax liability if they do not have excess taxable income that a DIRT tax credit will cover.

Any developments on this as we are getting near the years end now and I still have a few washers with them!

The sale is expected to complete by the end of 2011, subject to approval from the Minister for Finance.

I see where Nothern Rock has now been sold on to Virgin Money in the UK and they are using the same timescale for that deal too.

Yeah, so Virgin Money is unlikely to be the owner of the NR Ireland deposits assuming they both work to the same timescale.

The minister for Finance has given his approval and the transfer is due to take effect on 3rd January, 2012.

Now what to do with my few washers here, think I will shift them as I think PTSB has a lot of debt.

The minister for Finance has given his approval and the transfer is due to take effect on 3rd January, 2012.

Thanks for the update. 1 month of NR Ireland left so.

I wonder if the NR products will be open to new customers for much longer.

got the letter yesterday about the transfer.
As a sweetner, they've upped the deposit rate from 2.5% to 3.25%, despite the recent central bank drop

got the letter yesterday about the transfer.
As a sweetner, they've upped the deposit rate from 2.5% to 3.25%, despite the recent central bank drop

yeah but reckon that is only because PTSB and the Irish banks are desperate for depositors.

Not so long ago depositors cash was treated like something they had picked up on the sole of their shoes..... ooh how times have changed!

Northern Rock Ireland have closed their doors today. The 7th 'brand' to remove itself from the retail deposit market in Ireland since the crisis started in 2008.

Once upon a time, Northern Rock Ireland were the most competitive bank for retail deposits in Ireland.

I get the sense that the Northern Rock Ireland exit is not the last retail deposit exit.

Checked my account online this morning and the website has been changed to PTSB logos.
Still the same URL - maybe they will change this later.
On a more important note the 2011 interest had not been applied to my account - I'll check again tomorrrow.
Previous years were posted on 31st Dec but with the Bank holiday and change over that may have been delayed.

Hmmm actually the Norweigan Kroner is more stable than the Can Dollar. Might split it 50 50 between the two if the charges for operating the account aren't too high

I spotted the non-payment of interest also this morning and emailed them on it. No response yet

PTSB have clearly made a mess of their year end bank interest.

Has anyone phoned PTSB about the NR interest?

PTSB paid me interest, on my current account, as at January 3rd 2012 using a 27% DIRT rate. Payments from January 1st 2012 onwards should obviously have a 30% rate. It should have been paid as at December 30th or 31st 2011 using the 27% rate.

Back