Northern Rock deposits sold to PTSB

where do you see them offering 2.5%? As per their website the closest to a demand deposit i can see is their SIGNATURE DEPOSIT on call variable ac -which has a rate of 1.25% Gross

www[dot]permanenttsb[dot]ie/media/permanenttsb/pdfdocuments/depositrates/permanent-tsb-Deposit-Interest-Rates.pdf

See here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=102329

and see here: [broken link removed]

The PTSB online account pays 2.5%. The PTSB accounts for 0-19 year olds pay 3.0%.

Rabbo are offering 2.40% so think I'd prefer me few washers over there... despite the hassle of opening a new account again.

Is this not a big gamble that PTSB are taking in assuming that most NR customers will now leave their cash with them.

Is this not a big gamble that PTSB are taking in assuming that most NR customers will now leave their cash with them.

Depends on the contract. The transfer has not yet taken place. The price that IL&P pay to the UK government may be determined by deposits held as at transfer date that is in the future.

Also, the agreement is subject to DoF/NTMA approval. This may not prove to be a formality.

Depends on the contract. The transfer has not yet taken place. The price that IL&P pay to the UK government may be determined by deposits held as at transfer date that is in the future.

Also, the agreement is subject to DoF/NTMA approval. This may not prove to be a formality.

Hmmm either way looks like NR are going to pull out, there's hardly any chance they would stay now if this deal goes pear shape, is there!

Has nothing to do with that. Banks all over Europe are getting State support. Banks have no interest in foreign markets. End of story. I work for one and recently tried to get an allocation of capital to the operation here to expand a business line for domestic lending into Irish and UK companies because margins were becoming very attractive. I was laughed at by the CFO. I don't think our financial institution will last past 2012 in Ireland and it has nothing to do with not being able to compete with the Irish banks. It has everything to do with the allocation of capital and risk returns.

There are no French, German, UK banks looking to come into a Country with 14% unemployment, a dysfunctional property market and in the midst of a fiscal crisis.

I understand what you are saying, but this still does not mean that foreign banks would not come here if domestic banks were wound down. Markets provide services that are needed, and regardless of how bad things are or even get here, there will be need for banking and someone will jump in to provide that service. The world is a bigger place than Europe to find potential foreign banks to open or buy up existing banks.

Applied last Thursday to close my NR account. All finalised to-day very efficiently. Now to find a new safe home for my money.

Got my interest certificate quickly as well as my accrued money on my reference account. Thank you NR! Great until the very end! :)

Got my interest certificate quickly as well as my accrued money on my reference account. Thank you NR! Great until the very end! :)

Another NR saver bites the dust. I wonder if IL&P misunderstood and/or miscalculated the main reason why people have deposits with NR. Perceived Safety.

Another NR saver bites the dust. I wonder if IL&P misunderstood and/or miscalculated the main reason why people have deposits with NR. Perceived Safety.

Hi CiaranT, actually I've already got a saving account with IL&P. It's just that I didn't want to:
1) mix any of the 2 amounts
2) have problems with the interest certificate by the end of the financial year :D

i didnt think you needed to declare you paid DIRT as its deducted at source?

You do.

You need to declare deposit interest even if you paid DIRT. You will get a credit for the DIRT paid if you have other income that covers the DIRT tax credit, if you don't have income to cover it you will have to pay income tax rates on your deposit income.

You do.

You need to declare deposit interest even if you paid DIRT. You will get a credit for the DIRT paid if you have other income that covers the DIRT tax credit, if you don't have income to cover it you will have to pay income tax rates on your deposit income.

run this by me again?? So if i receive interest income, I have to declare it? I thought that was only when the interest income was your only/main source of income? And i can get a credit for the dirt tax paid too if other income covers it? what kinds of income? {please excuse my ignorance on this matter....i've never really had any savings of note before so its never been an issue!}

also on the back of the main point of the thread, i was talking to NIB today, they are offering 3% on demand deposit account (but u need to open a current ac to avail of it)

run this by me again?? So if i receive interest income, I have to declare it?

Yes.

I thought that was only when the interest income was your only/main source of income?

No.

And i can get a credit for the dirt tax paid too if other income covers it? what kinds of income?

Yes.

PAYE income, rental income etc etc etc

Hence, in most peoples case, their personal tax liability does not go beyond DIRT as the tax credit covers the DIRT. One exception was the health levy, which in previous years, was payable on deposit interest income with no tax credit granted.

Back