New RTE programme "How to be Good with Money"

For ages they were all the same price for own brand sugar but I see that has changed now. I wonder when they'll do the same for butter?

Mind me asking why you prefer Dunne's to Tesco?
I too prefer Dunnes over Tesco. Dunnes €50 for €40 shopping is hard to beat. Meat is better in Dunnes (no horse) and I find the mega-Tesco shops to be soul destroying . . offering a tyranny of choice. My shop of choice would be Aldi.

When I started watching this weeks show I really felt that Rachel was very naïve with little or no "business sense" and her willingness to borrow money to fund her dreams was surprising
But by the end of the show I was thinking fair play to her, she got there and if she can keep her head screwed on there's no reason why she won't make this work, chapeau

I too prefer Dunnes over Tesco. Dunnes €50 for €40 shopping is hard to beat. Meat is better in Dunnes (no horse) and I find the mega-Tesco shops to be soul destroying . . offering a tyranny of choice. My shop of choice would be Aldi.

Aldi is by far the cheapest but you loose on quality and choice, lidl have a proper bakery and fruit and vegetables are better more often, I will praise aldi however for forcing lidl to introduce a proper gluten free range

Both IMO are better than dunnes or tesco in this area and cheaper too, your stuck with the awful kelkin range

Dunnes is where we now do the majority of our shopping with Lidl for little shops or things we cant get in Dunnes it used to be the other way round but as I said earlier I think Dunnes is now cheaper
I used to shop in Superquinn Blackrock purely because of the superscan option but since their now Supervalu I feel their too expensive compared to Dunnes and Lidl
I've been in Aldi but haven't actually ever bought anything, likewise Londis, and spar are only good for emergency purchases

Tesco on the other hand is a retailer that I avoid not because of the prices or products but as a ex manufacturer of Tesco products and a supplier of my own products I saw first hand how they deal with not only their suppliers but also their staff, subcontractors and the opinions of the senior head office staff in the UK in relation to Ireland and Irish suppliers has left me with no option but to never shop there

When I started watching this weeks show I really felt that Rachel was very naïve with little or no "business sense" and her willingness to borrow money to fund her dreams was surprising
But by the end of the show I was thinking fair play to her, she got there and if she can keep her head screwed on there's no reason why she won't make this work, chapeau

Yeh she seemed to be onto a good thing at the end.

The arrangement with the van seemed dodgy AF.

Couldn't follow the van business. She was due to pay 3.5k and had managed at one point to pay 3k so was only 500 short. Instead of trying to borrow the other 500 from say the credit union tk get possession of the van she decided to ask whoever had the van to try and sell it and mentioned your man might be able to get 2k for her. That never transpired. All a bit strange.

Yeh she seemed to be onto a good thing at the end.

The arrangement with the van seemed dodgy AF.

What would happen if she got sick? That business model and its turnover is in my opinion a waste of time and i'm not trying to belittle her either.

Back to the topic of the thread lads. Any more Dunnes v Aldi v SV etc will be deleted.

Sorry Boss, I presume that was directed mainly at me for my "off the reservation" comment about Tesco

But I do feel in the context of a discussion about "how to be good about money" how, where and when you shop can have a huge impact on a persons or family budget
Particularly when it has been observed by the program makers and us that there can be huge savings to be made by making simple changes
The same could be said for all essential or what would now be called essential spending, house and car insurance, utility bills and mortgage payments etc etc
How many people don't switch their mortgage for cheaper rates or to avail of the cash back, how many don't shop around for their utility or insurance providers for cheaper deals
I'd hazarded a guess that the majority of people struggling to make ends meet don't do these simple exercises ??

What would happen if she got sick? That business model and its turnover is in my opinion a waste of time and i'm not trying to belittle her either.

I don't necessarily agree with you here, most self employed or business owners or at least in my experience don't take sick days they know if they don't turn up for work the bills don't get paid and if the unthinkable happened they probably would have a contingency plan in place. I would agree that on the face of it she is "winging it" but I don't think she is really looking for anymore at this stage then a weekly wage but you have to start somewhere, who knows in the future she could have a couple of dog grooming shops if she keeps her head screwed on and learns a bit of money and business sense
If she had thought about it properly she could have got a lot of assistance from the social welfare through the back to work scheme, it would have taken a bit of engineering on her side but it would have helped her greatly

how to be good with money....DONT SPEND IT...novel but it works

Easier said than done for most people :D

Cervelo,
I don't necessarily agree with you here, most self employed or business owners or at least in my experience don't take sick days they know if they don't turn up for work the bills don't get paid and if the unthinkable happened they probably would have a contingency plan in place.

I'm not discussing someone taking a sickie, i'm asking what she would do if she gets sick? People working with children and small animals have a very high tendency to fall prey to an awful lot of bugs, if this happens to her she has nothing in place, would let customers down and may find it awfully difficult to keep going. Again, my post was about her business plan, her tiny turnover and her capacity to expand in any way at all. Sometimes an idea like hers finds sympathy with people wanting the person to succeed, but in reality they would be a lot better off working for someone else. This business is (sadly) doomed to failure in today's commercial reality. Pay business rent, overheads, her time, keep banks happy, plan a future, transport, pay her home rent, pay insurance which i'd imagine may be pretty high re working with animals, etc, etc. There were so many aspects of this programme that didn't go into the detail at all, it makes it rather silly when one thinks about it. I would love to see everyone trying to succeed in business get there, but they won't. In this instance we're talking about this particular girl and the programme, in my opinion it failed miserably to address the issues of concern, some of which I have mentioned.

Was impressed with how Rachel on tonight's show was already good with money at the outset. Earning 34k per annum and with no debts she was able to:
live in a nice house in Dublin
spend a lot of her free time shopping, buying lots of nice clothes
Lots of nights out, eating out, takeaways
€100 per week on hair and cosmetics
Charitable donations
Multiple holidays abroad each year, about to go on a nine night trip to Las Vegas and New York.

It was mentioned that her friends gave her money when she was stuck. Maybe I was watching the next Bertie!

Missed it tonight, packing for a little trip to Fuertenventura tomorrow. No borrowings required :)

Back