New RTE programme "How to be Good with Money"

After the debacle of Programme 1 it's more than likely the people in Programme 2 couldn't believe or understand what they were being told about their financial situation and the producers had to move on to Prog 3. Be very careful with what you find in that Box, you might end up with an episode of "Believe it or not" episode in there;)

The TV listings I saw for yesterday's programme described episode 2. However I checked in on it and it was indeed a repeat of episode 1. Looks like Brian isn't the only one who's a bit confused.

I get the impression that most people looking for help want someone to dig them out of a hole of their own making but won't be too long in digging another one for themselves.

The presenter was very kind and i'd say the woman really benefitted from his advice this week. She was so worried at the start!

I get the impression that most people looking for help want someone to dig them out of a hole of their own making but won't be too long in digging another one for themselves.

I would agree with you 100%, the simple reason why this woman is in debt is the basic fact she was spending more than she was earning, its nobody else's fault but her own that she has found herself in this position
The good thing is that Eoin has shown her that she can live within her means pay down debt and save but its up to her if she wants to succeed or not

The take home for me from this week is that its not enough to just know you can live within your means but to understand where and when you spend your money and how this has a knock on effect on your goals

In some sense it's sad that at 54 a person has zero net assets, in fact has net liabilities.

Although she does have a PS pension.

Some Irish people seem to have a relaxed attitude to debt. She is worried about high debt, yet continues to overspend, e.g. 30 every three weeks on eyelashes.

All of that type of expenditure should be zeroed, until all debts cleared.

Interesting that this nurse on 43k is effectively a social housing tenant, paying 99 rent per week / 430 pm to an AHB.

A lady has to have some treat, she's a nurse.working hard looking after sick people. If it makes her feel good about herself, so be it, she could be doing worse like spending it on fags or booze.

I think you missed the point Protocol was trying to make

I totally agree with your post there is alot of people who have their priorities wrong . and again some people who fall on hard times These programmes always interest me because most of the people have a good job and seem well educated ,hard to believe some of these struggle with money .

Gordan, you hit the “nail on the head” it is the since of “entitlement” I may not have the money but I have the right to my holiday in the sun even though I am social welfare or whatever is the case

Back