New RTE programme "How to be Good with Money"

I thought that the presenter was good. The subjects struck me as not the full shilling, particularly the wife who seemed to grin inanely the whole time. Not the worst thing I’ve ever seen.
The people who were trowing the shillings at them are a bigger problem long term if the central bank were to give in to the pressure coming on them to relax controls again,

They are earning around 100K to be taking home 5800K per month ,

To be honest I did not see anything to suggest not the full shilling she was only laughing at the people who do not know any better and buy and defend the 27K per year argument ,

We can all see the good job the central Bank are doing now,

Last edited:
What does it matter if one had a degree in business or Law or medicine or if one is a teacher?

What harm if people can’t figure out for themselves in the short term when they are young their financial situation.

They are willing to learn, that’s the whole point!

I haven’t looked at the programme. I will.

Marion

What does it matter if one had a degree in business or Law or medicine or if one is a teacher?
I didn't see the program either, but the below is from the junior cycle business studies curriculum:

"
Strand one: Personal finance
Personal finance focuses on students developing a set of skills, knowledge and values that allows
them to make informed decisions to effectively and responsibly manage their financial resources.
In this strand, students learn about managing their finances, responsible consumer behaviour and
the value of using resources ethically and efficiently for the benefit of individuals and society."

Someone who teaches this for a living should have at least a basic grasp of personal financial management.

I agree.

But teaching it and experiencing it at a personal level might not necessarily coincide.

Marion

teaching it and experiencing it at a personal level might not necessarily coincide.

Definitely true in this case.

'He who can does, he who can't teaches.'

Unfair to the many good teachers out there but a lot of evidence of it here.

What harm if people can’t figure out for themselves in the short term when they are young their financial situation.

Marion

The couple in question didn't look that young, they were at the very least in their thirties with two kids. I thought it was all very far fetched to be honest esp given they were two teachers. I shudder if they were teaching my kids.

I’m looking forward to watching it.

How do people expect teachers to behave?

We are all different. Some teachers drive me mad. I presume I drive others mad.

Life goes on!

Marion

They didn't drive me mad. I just felt he had no grasp of what he is supposed to teach.

I presume that’s fair comment based on the programme that you watched.

Not sure what he actually teaches as a business teacher. I counted 22 subjects on my last review!

Looking forward to being entertained.

Marion

What about the subtitles that appeared on screen from time to time? Hadn't seen anything like it before.

The thing that I was not surprised to hear was one of them was turned down for a credit card ,The other then applied for one with a max limit of 4000 euro and was approved for 14000 euro ,Any one who is questioning /don't understand why the Central bank are forcing banks to sell off bad debt got there answer ,
That's outragous. Sounds like Celtic Tiger Mark 2 to me. Won't be long now until the 14K limit is a target and it's increased at the stroke of a pen to 20K.

So in debt now to the tune of 34K. With no assets. And nothing to show for it. Paying one sixth of their incomes on servicing debt. Plus they have overdrafts.

I was particularly intrigued when they went into a travel agent to book two tickets to America.

That struck me as odd as well, but it might have been done for TV purposes. They probably did book their tickets online.

Of course, the first thing Eoin should have told them is not to go America.

If you want to buy a house, you don't have an expensive wedding and you don't go on expensive holidays.

They seemed to think, as a lot of people do, that financial engineering will show them how to have everything they want.

Brendan

What about the subtitles that appeared on screen from time to time?

I think that they consider it too old fashioned to put up an actual table showing their income and expenditure. Sugar cubes are much more visual.

I think he said that with his plan, they would have paid off their debts and would have the deposit for the house of their dreams within 3 years. Or maybe it was 5 years.

Brendan

While there was some juicy editing to keep the whole thing zipping along, a couple of things struck me: firstly, it was the first time that they had ever gone grocery shopping using a shopping list!! Secondly, the presenter drove two different BMW's during the programme which could suggest that it was made over a fairly long period of time to not much avail by the end.

Its struck me that the couple were only interested in the good times and wanted those to continue even if they were put under some sort of financial constraint. (I think they even said this?). They had decent after-tax salaries coupled with a 'low' rent meant that they had plenty of disposable income that they had no previous incentive to save. If I was the teacher concerned, I certainly would not be happy with my own financial performance to date as a business teacher!

The presenter was good and tried to explain clearly to his audience some practical financial matters, particularly how and what banks look at in loan applications and how credit card debt works. It might have been useful to give a short recap of these points at the end to reinforce them for the learning viewer. Although I'm sure he will have a financial advice type book out shortly to coincide with the series!

Overall though, like most money issues programmes, it all comes down to whether the participants have much common sense, a sense of the value of money or the motivation to make things better. Unfortunately all three seemed to be sorely lacking here...

I cant believe that a couple today that lived through the last financial crisis could be so clueless about their finances as I said before "Cuckoo land"
I think three times during the show she said or implied, spend now and we'll work out how to pay for it later
The 14k CC limit was when my jaw hit the floor "my first reaction was add this to our savings and we have a deposit for a house"

Is it really that hard to understand that if you earn X amount that spending X+1 is going to lead to problems that will affect your life and lifestyle

It is basic common since, however these people were making the minimum payment which was craze. It would worry me that one person was a business studies teacher and he could not even balance his bank statement and had a number of bounced direct debits which cost him €12.50 each time. Think my 16 year old could give him a lesson or two

I can imagine this couple will get a bit of stick for this and by going public they're up there to be shot at. Hope they do a follow up those 2 fine upstanding and university educated citizens in about 10 years time. I'm just wondering as well why they were picked to front the new programme, or is it a bit like Big Brother and one needs to be a certain type of individual? The awful thought has just struck me that they might have been representative of an unimaginable trait in that particular age group!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not joking either :(

Back