New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

hi, long time follower/reader first post.

Im about to begin the closing process on our Osbourne house and looking for some advise.

First off; there seems to be a hold up with the houses south of Diswellstown Ave due to gas and electrics connection.

looking for some advise with
1) Snagging options and the level of snagging. i see in previous post one user did a very good details analysis. any personal recommendation? also after hearing all the issue in the Beacon South Quarter earlier this year, did anyone get an engineer to check there house since the the Council have dropped the ball! The guys we got were pricey and to be honest looking through the list, if we spent the time and had the patience, we could of found most if not all issues on the list - also some of the issues raised were a bit meh. The builders are very helpful and will state, if you find issues after you move in - give them (foreman) a call and they will sort it. We didn't get an engineer.

2)Flooring options; did anyone use the company that kitted out the show houses?
What is peoples opinion on Des Kelly carpet for laminate flooring?
Were people able to get the floors down before they got the keys and Park drew down the money from your bank? No -, only after we closed. EA told me people had issues with putting down real wood in hallway as front door was catching, anyone have experience? Went with laminate - happy, got it through a favour/friend - they are based in the sticks. I seen the Des Kelly van a few times - heard no swearing after!

3) Has there been any community alert or closed Facebook group set up so residents can share issues and alert each other of strange happenings in the estate? might be a good idea, friend of mine in another new estate in Maynooth has one. Not aware of any, somewhat surprised

4) Finally, is there anything i should look out for before i close out the process, wether it be common snag issue (in relation to Hamilton park houses) or key hand over from Builder? Nothing major, check all locks, heaters/heating, not impressed with the back garden, very rough and is like a hill!

Thanks.

Hi, congratulations they are a great house and no matter some of the snags etc you will be pleased with it.

hi, long time follower/reader first post.

Im about to begin the closing process on our Osbourne house and looking for some advise.

First off; there seems to be a hold up with the houses south of Diswellstown Ave due to gas and electrics connection.

looking for some advise with
1) Snagging options and the level of snagging. i see in previous post one user did a very good details analysis. any personal recommendation? also after hearing all the issue in the Beacon South Quarter earlier this year, did anyone get an engineer to check there house since the the Council have dropped the ball!

No issue that are massive. There is a lot of tech in the house and I'd make sure it's all commissioned before signing. Plumbing - heating and heat recovery system. 100% check your windows for scratches!! They are a fortune if need to replace triple glazed Rationel windows.

2)Flooring options; did anyone use the company that kitted out the show houses?
What is peoples opinion on Des Kelly carpet for laminate flooring?
Were people able to get the floors down before they got the keys and Park drew down the money from your bank? EA told me people had issues with putting down real wood in hallway as front door was catching, anyone have experience?

Door is a problem. Threshold is only 12 or 15mm for energy rating draft exclusion. You can plane the slats of wood at the door a few mm if you have your heart set on semi solid or solid. Skirting boards are all fixed so need a complete repair job after too.

3) Has there been any community alert or closed Facebook group set up so residents can share issues and alert each other of strange happenings in the estate? might be a good idea, friend of mine in another new estate in Maynooth has one.

No. To be honest the place feels very safe etc... few young teenagers about but harmless. Agree a text alert is always good in any area though.

4) Finally, is there anything i should look out for before i close out the process, wether it be common snag issue (in relation to Hamilton park houses) or key hand over from Builder?

Thanks.

Does seem to be a problem with all doors. Don't think it's the door. Your flooring company likely raised the door a few mm to fit your floor and stop it scratching, this few mm is making the lock mechanism stick slightly. Put in the constant swelling and contracting of the new house and it could then stick on you.

Not sure if there is a better permanent fix for this but your issue seems more severe if it's sticking.

Bit concerned about gang of teenagers using children's playground every evening. There are about fifteen of them running around the estate now. When they do eventually go home they seem to leave the estate,so they are not residents. No.1,they will wreck the playground and secondly they will start antisocial behaviour. I took a little walk and they seem to be going to the back of the estate,shouting out loud. I think the only thing we can do is to let them know we see them. They appear to think that this estate is a new place to hang out.

Just walked past security. The guard just called me over and told me that they had tried to break into houses last night. When they couldn't get in they got into new apartments and tried to pull boiler off wall for copper. Security chased them out but we're attacked with stones/rocks. The lads just cycled up to security now and jeered the guard. One of them said that they would rape his wife. He called the gardai who have failed to show up an hour later! The security have followed these lads on their bikes and they live in the settled traveller community site at the end of the road. Looks like we are in for a rough time ahead.

This seems a ridiculously far fetched story. Breaking into houses and trying to pull boilers off the wall for copper?!! I can't say I have seen them at the playground every evening. I've seen a group of teenagers the odd evening, causing no trouble at all.
If they are in fact at the playground every evening & causing trouble, it seems surprising that the security hut have not notified the gardai. Or that other HP residents who have houses facing onto the green with the playground have not notified the gardai.

Last edited:
Bit concerned about gang of teenagers using children's playground every evening. There are about fifteen of them running around the estate now. When they do eventually go home they seem to leave the estate,so they are not residents. No.1,they will wreck the playground and secondly they will start antisocial behaviour. I took a little walk and they seem to be going to the back of the estate,shouting out loud. I think the only thing we can do is to let them know we see them. They appear to think that this estate is a new place to hang out.

I've lived in Hamilton for nearly a year, I've seen groups of teenagers in and around the playground causing no trouble at all. I've often walked right by that area late at night and there's never been any trouble. "Shouting out loud" is an amazing complaint. They're kids. Unless they're becoming threatening or damaging property, what's the concern? There's kids hanging around in every estate in Dublin. I'm from a rough area in Dublin and I know the difference between those to worry about and those that will keep themselves to themselves. I've yet to experience the former anywhere around capertenstown. Do you get worried walking by groups at the shops too or is it purely the ones in the estate?

The second group you're talking about sound nothing like the kids hanging around the estate and if it's true, the Garda should be involved. It's not loitering, it's trespassing and theft. I'm working from home and popped out to discuss this with the security guard. Must be a different guy cause he didn't know of any kids on bikes stealing from the site. He certainly didn't seem worried by it

Have to agree with Johnny there, the kids hanging around the playground at night, while annoying, do not strike me as the kind of kids that would be breaking into houses/apartments and attacking the security guards.

The Gardai were there on Saturday evening. I was out walking my dog on the same evening and saw three of these harmless youths climbing over the side gate of the last house on the Avenue. The security man told me of the break in and damage to apartment block. Can't understand why you think he is lying. I am not afraid of youths hanging around,they have no community centers to go to. But if they are breaking into private property and threatening vile acts I am concerned about my property and my family's safety.

Think you have taken me up wrong. I agreed with Johnny that the usual group of teenagers hanging around were unlikely the same people who were breaking in/causing damage. I didn't say I didn't believe you, just that they were probably different groups

The Gardai were there on Saturday evening. I was out walking my dog on the same evening and saw three of these harmless youths climbing over the side gate of the last house on the Avenue. The security man told me of the break in and damage to apartment block. Can't understand why you think he is lying. I am not afraid of youths hanging around,they have no community centers to go to. But if they are breaking into private property and threatening vile acts I am concerned about my property and my family's safety.

Your original post insinuated that there's a link between young people hanging around the playground/estate and people breaking into vacant houses on a building site and committing theft. You can't know that for sure. Crime around new developments is common unfortunately. It's usually more organized than a group of kids who are hanging around a set of swings. You said they're there every night, they're not. I know they're not because I'm out walking with the little one most nights. I didn't accuse him of lying. I merely relayed a conversation I had with the security guard. He wasn't concerned.

If you're genuinely concerned about your safety maybe look into setting up a neighborhood watch. I noticed a leaflet in the post from the Green Party local rep recently where he offered support to anyone who wanted to do this. That's a bit more proactive than complaining on here.

Seems unusual that one security guard witnessed a break in, was attacked with rocks and threatened, yet the other security guard didn't know about the incident or seem concerned about it.

If this incident happened on Friday night, I would imagine all security guards would know about it.

Last edited:
Really just seem like bored young teenagers. Have walked by them a bunch of times and never took much notice. They don't seem like they are up to much, make a bit of noise etC...

Agree with previous poster - think most large sites have security issues in fairness but these kids don't look like they would know what to do with copper etc??

HP released a 4 bed detached house today, think at far end of estate?

665k for the 4 bed detached, east facing garden.

Not sure if its good value for large enough detached in Castleknock or pretty steep given the original price and fact they are the same size more or less as the 4 bed semi - which has a huge attic easy to convert?

I think its a 80-100k increase? Mind you id say given how the market has gone that could be right. I think they were 560 or 570 originally???

I get the feeling the next release of houses will be subject to the price rises you seem to get as these new estates near completion. Pretty incredible really....

Be interesting to see what it goes for but detached houses are prob like hotcakes in the area....

Really interesting thanks for the info Bobsworth. I know a 4 bed detached went for 670k in Diswellstown Manor so it's very much in line with that.

No probs. Interesting it's an "asking price". See this creeping in with a lot of new build estates where they are taking bids when they have less houses to sell. Rather than just having a normal price....like at the start...

Detached is good but when a bigger 5bed is 630 makes you wonder who pays 670 for a 4 bed but I guess detached does get a good premium and could be s big 4 bed? That's a 200k more than a 4 bed semi was in day 1 like... :0

I guess it comes down to more than just the no of rooms & size of a house. House layout / aspect / garden size all play a part. From recollection the 5 beds in DM didn't have the same downstairs living space as other 4 bed houses.

For the 4 bed detached in HP, on launch they were listed as from 550K so having one for sale now at 665K represents a big hike.

All objections to the proposed building have been officially rejected by An Bord Pleanala. Planning permission has been granted for the Planning Ref Number FW16A/0093. The Bord Pleanala Ref Number = PL 06F.247769.

The official figures for the development;
64 three bedroom houses
1 three bedroom detached house
55 four bedroom semi-detached houses
6 four bedroom detached houses
1 four story apt block over basement/undercroft car park comprising 53 residential units. Block contains creche.

The phase 2 development will be accessed and serviced by the same road infrastructure granted in phase 1, ref FW14A/0066

Off interest to Diswellstown Manor residents;
- The creche shall be completed and the pedestrian access/link to the south of the creche into the adjoining DM housing development shall be opened no later than the completion if the first 75 number residential units authorized by this planning permission.

- I do not see any mention of altering the service road to HP from the Porterstown Road.

Back