New Bank Holiday

You didn't think about switching channel when the National Hijab Day clip came on RTE, no?
Like I said, my initial thought was that it was about time there was an official day to protest at this monstrous imposition which is demeaning to women on so many levels.

Dunno where you got the idea that you can't swim or cycle in a hijab?
You really think hijab is ideal garb for swimming or cycling?

Good article here from two Muslim women which puts the virtue signalling pro-hijab apologists to shame.
So Islam, just like the Catholic Church, mistranslated texts in order to subjugate women and then accuses those who point this out of sexism.

Good article here from two Muslim women which puts the virtue signalling pro-hijab apologists to shame.
I'm not sure that one article from two women trumps a worldwide movement of millions of women, but sure, you can take your pick.
Just for the record, I'm not "pro-Hijab", though it is interesting that you feel the need to label anyone who questions our OTT outrage as such.

RTE celebrates lots of things. We'll have a week of celebrating the campiest of camp festivals of terrible pop songs soon. We spend months celebrating overpaid lads chasing a leather ball round a field and pretending that it has something to do with our country and our county. We'll be celebrating a schizophrenic Welsh immigrant who chased non-existent snakes around the place by drinking ourselves comatose and wearing big hats.

I don't feel any huge connection to any of these celebrations or to the hijab celebration. But for those who want to take part, it's not up to me to make their choices for them.

I'm not sure that one article from two women trumps a worldwide movement of millions of women, but sure, you can take your pick.
Just for the record, I'm not "pro-Hijab", though it is interesting that you feel the need to label anyone who questions our OTT outrage as such.

RTE celebrates lots of things. We'll have a week of celebrating the campiest of camp festivals of terrible pop songs soon. We spend months celebrating overpaid lads chasing a leather ball round a field and pretending that it has something to do with our country and our county. We'll be celebrating a schizophrenic Welsh immigrant who chased non-existent snakes around the place by drinking ourselves comatose and wearing big hats.

I don't feel any huge connection to any of these celebrations or to the hijab celebration. But for those who want to take part, it's not up to me to make their choices for them.
I suppose celebrating an orthodoxy which regards women as second class while also celebrating the casting off of repressive Catholicism by RTE etc looks vacuous and inconsistent. While people are absolutely entitled to wear whatever they want and remain unmolested verbally or physically you can either celebrate liberal freedoms or religious orthodoxy but you can't ride both horses.

Eastern, Oriental or Celtic Orthodox?
There really is only one Orthodox Christian Church, sometimes referred to as the Eastern Orthodox Church, or the Greek Orthodox Church. The various national churches often row amongst themselves and refuse to recognise each other, but those are intra Church squabbles.

There really is only one Orthodox Christian Church, sometimes referred to as the Eastern Orthodox Church, or the Greek Orthodox Church. The various national churches often row amongst themselves and refuse to recognise each other, but those are intra Church squabbles.
Heresy! Burn him!

Should we have an extra Bank Holiday?
We have fewer than most of Europe so there's a case to be made for it.

If we do have it what/who should it be named after, if anything?
Call it Michael Martin day, it's the only way we will remember him

I suppose celebrating an orthodoxy which regards women as second class while also celebrating the casting off of repressive Catholicism by RTE etc looks vacuous and inconsistent. While people are absolutely entitled to wear whatever they want and remain unmolested verbally or physically you can either celebrate liberal freedoms or religious orthodoxy but you can't ride both horses.
Why can't they ride both horses? It's not an ideological statement of approval from RTE. It is just reporting. They report on both the Dublin team AND the Mayo team in the run up to the big match, but they're not giving one or other a badge of approval - just reporting.

Why can't they ride both horses? It's not an ideological statement of approval from RTE. It is just reporting. They report on both the Dublin team AND the Mayo team in the run up to the big match, but they're not giving one or other a badge of approval - just reporting.
Of course they can report it but they shouldn't support the narrative promulgated by ultra conservative Islamists that it is some sort of symbol for female empowerment when it is in fact a representation of the exact opposite.

Of course they can report it but they shouldn't support the narrative promulgated by ultra conservative Islamists that it is some sort of symbol for female empowerment when it is in fact a representation of the exact opposite.
I wouldn't claim to know much about ultra conservative Islamists, but the two teenage girls I heard in the RTE piece didn't strike me as ultra conservative anything. Did you watch the piece?
And again, RTE weren't supporting any narrative. They were reporting.

I wouldn't claim to know much about ultra conservative Islamists, but the two teenage girls I heard in the RTE piece didn't strike me as ultra conservative anything.
I didn't say they were.
Did you watch the piece?
Yes
And again, RTE weren't supporting any narrative. They were reporting.
They were reporting a twisted version of a religion which oppresses women and presented it as a liberal liberating choice. They were very much supporting a narrative but were too stupid to realise it. In the context of this issue they were 'useful idiots', as are those who agree with RTE's presentation of the subject.

I didn't say they were.

Yes

They were reporting a twisted version of a religion which oppresses women and presented it as a liberal liberating choice. They were very much supporting a narrative but were too stupid to realise it. In the context of this issue they were 'useful idiots', as are those who agree with RTE's presentation of the subject.
So in this case, it wasn't being promoted by ultra conservative Islamists, it was being promoted by two Irish schoolgirls, which puts a different context. They didn't seem like stupid people to me either, but it is fairly obnoxious that you accuse people of being stupid simply because they have a different view to you on something.

So in this case, it wasn't being promoted by ultra conservative Islamists, it was being promoted by two Irish schoolgirls, which puts a different context. They didn't seem like stupid people to me either, but it is fairly obnoxious that you accuse people of being stupid simply because they have a different view to you on something.
There are people who have different views to me on Covid and think vaccines are a plot by Bill Gates to microchip us all. I think such people are stupid or brainwashed.

There are people who have different views to me on Islam and think hijab is a liberating or empowering free choice for women. I also think such people are stupid or brainwashed.

There's nothing obnoxious about forming views about people's mental qualities based on the rationality or otherwise of what they choose to say. We all do it all the time.

Back