New Bank Holiday

Exactly
A new bank holiday that will not cost anything.
Except if the close for Good Friday at the moment it’s a days annual leave used up. If it’s a bank holiday it’s an extra days leave. No matter what way you look at it the employer pays.

A great man, and the exception that proves the rule. ;)

The Pudding is good. Do Cork make that Stout for when you run out of Guinness?
Midleton is great whiskey.

I remember that sketch Niall Tobin used to do on reeling in the years, complaining about the Guiness being very gassy when you get beyond some part of the Dublin suburbs

Just to make it awkward, it'll be double Paddy Whackery next year... Leo will give us an extra holiday that'll be nice as I'm sure Michael has a lockdown lined up for us then.

GOVERNMENT IS LOOKING at the option of a double public holiday on 17 and 18 March next year, with a permanent new public holiday being held on St Brigid’s Day from 2023 onwards, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar confirmed today.

Happy St. Bridget's Day.
I feel better about this becoming a bank holiday since I found out that St. Bridget isn't actually a saint. She lost that title in 1969.

Happy St. Bridget's Day.
I feel better about this becoming a bank holiday since I found out that St. Bridget isn't actually a saint. She lost that title in 1969.
Ireland only has 4 canonised saints, Malachy, Oliver Plunket, Lawerence O'Toole and Charles of Mount Argus.

All the rest are not "official" saints

Happy St. Bridget's Day.
Or is it Imbolc? Or (pagan goddess) Brigid's day?
February 1st is a bit crowded :)

Apparently St. Bridget is still on the long list of saints. The downgrade in 1969 was to remove a bunch of saints of doubtful historicity so that they no longer appear on the official 'common' Catholic feast day calendar - along with George, Valentine, Christopher, Nicholas. 93 in total.

Given the time of year I think most people will be using this day in future as a duvet day!

Or is it Imbolc? Or (pagan goddess) Brigid's day?
February 1st is a bit crowded :)

Apparently St. Bridget is still on the long list of saints. The downgrade in 1969 was to remove a bunch of saints of doubtful historicity so that they no longer appear on the official 'common' Catholic feast day calendar - along with George, Valentine, Christopher, Nicholas. 93 in total.

Given the time of year I think most people will be using this day in future as a duvet day!
It’ll always be the feast of Imbolc to me.
I dont like the way those Christians destroyed our Irish culture. :)

It’ll always be the feast of Imbolc to me.
I dont like the way those Christians destroyed our Irish culture. :)
There is quite a history to the Imbolc thing, not only in Ireland but in Scotland too. Particularly the Scottish islands. They also appear to have had a goddess Brigid who predated Christianity. And there's a passage tomb on the hill of Tara that's aligned to sunrise on 1st February, as Newgrange is at winter solstice. That can't really be a coincidence.

I see that RTE News have just run an item about today also being World Hijab Day apparently. Great, I thought, finally there's a day to highlight a campaign to free millions of women around the world from the oppression of having to shroud themselves in this ridiculous garment imposed by a misogynistic and theocratic patriarchy that would relegate the worst excesses of the Catholic church to a far distant second place.
But no, it was actually an approving piece that celebrated the "choice" women apparently make to wear hijab. So as not to inflame the (presumably uncontrollable) urges of men and lead them to commit sin, you see.
I'm sure that'll come as welcome news to the women of Iran who are routinely beaten in the streets by the "religious police" for having less than perfect hijab. RTE should be profoundly ashamed for its misguided attempt at fashionable diversity.

Last edited:
I see that RTE News have just run an item about today also being World Hijab Day apparently. Great, I thought, finally there's a day to highlight a campaign to free millions of women around the world from the oppression of having to shroud themselves in this ridiculous garment imposed by a misogynistic and theocratic patriarchy that would relegate the worst excesses of the Catholic church to a far distant second place.
But no, it was actually an approving piece that celebrated the "choice" women apparently make to wear hijab. So as not to inflame the (presumably uncontrollable) urges of men and lead them to commit sin, you see.
I'm sure that'll come as welcome news to the women of Iran who are routinely beaten in the streets by the "religious police" for having less than perfect hijab. RTE should be profoundly ashamed for its misguided attempt at fashionable diversity.

Indeed, you'd have to wonder how headscarves like those could be anyway acceptable in good old Ireland.
1643886004534.png
1643886080401.png1643886406607.png1643886446319.png

Images courtesy of The Butcher Boy, directed by Neil Jordan.

All
Thankfully we've cast off most of the religious oppressiveness that scourged our country for hundreds of years.
Yes indeed. All the more reason not to re-import it via the practces of probably the most oppressive, homophobic and misogynistic religious culture on the planet.

All

Yes indeed. All the more reason not to re-import it via the practces of probably the most oppressive, homophobic and misogynistic religious culture on the planet.
No argument there from me.
I don't like anyone being brainwashed into thinking that they are second class people.

Back