National Maternity Hospital

I know Leo is making a salient point "Ask those denied certain treatments in Vincent's . . . ." No matter where the NMH is to be located nobody is going to ask "those denied certain treatments" anything.

From the start of this thread I have been suggesting that the NMH should be in a site solely owned by the state and run by the state for the people of Ireland and not just the Medical Profession and no places on the board should be given to anybody guided by any religion. The government was elected to run the country and should do so without influence from all those guided by more profit etc.
I agree with all of that.

It'll be interesting to see the make up of this new board, and whether this will see an end to the practice of family members being asked to pop out to a pharmacy to pick up prescriptions of the contraceptive pill as the hospital pharmacy refuse to stock it.

The situation now is that instead of €300m of the states money being spent to build a new hospital to be owned by the Sisters of charity and run by the SVHG, €300m of the states money will be spent to build a new hospital which will be owned by the SVHG.

If the decision of the nuns to relinquish their role reduces the church involvement, I welcome that.

I still do not understand why €300m of the state's money is being spent to build a hospital that will not be owned by the state. The Denis O Brien question remains.

The situation now is that instead of €300m of the states money being spent to build a new hospital to be owned by the Sisters of charity and run by the SVHG, €300m of the states money will be spent to build a new hospital which will be owned by the SVHG.

If the decision of the nuns to relinquish their role reduces the church involvement, I welcome that.

I still do not understand why €300m of the state's money is being spent to build a hospital that will not be owned by the state. The Denis O Brien question remains.
I fully agree.
Will the Sisters of Charity get any income from SVHG?

Hi cremeegg,

What's the Denis O'Brien question you refer to?

Firefly.

See post 21 in this thread.

Basically, while there were specific objections to the nuns being given the hospital, why should any private company be given a €300m hospital. If the state built a hospital on land owned by DOB there would be uproar at a private company benefitting from public money and rightly so. Why is there not uproar about the SVHG, a private company, getting a €300m hospital. Maybe I should start a rumour that Denis owns it.;););)

Back