My experience with installing SEAI grant aided solar PV

Laughahalla

Frequent Poster
Hi. Thanks for your great report. I am at the point of installing an almost identical system but am torn between suppliers. My first choice company is not responding to emails of calls so I must write them off. My second choice seems to have difficulty answering semi technical questions. I am being quoted similar prices to yours but who can I depend on? I'm not sure if this site supports PMs as I don't see a link to that.
i used a company based in Dublin but work around the country, I'm based in the mid west . They're called save me money wind and solar. They were mentioned earlier in the thread. I've mine installed about 14 months now and still think they're excellent.

Dreamon

HI went ahead and got the 4.2KW setup with Battery and Solis Hybred inverter No Diverter and so far so good
total cost after grant will be 4700e It took the installers about 10hrs to install on a Bungalow roof including all electrics
firemans etc a very neat job and with information and advice every step of the way At the moment i am using less than I generate
so will look at an I booster or other type of Diverter one I can install myself or maybe extra pylontech battery at a later date

Something to be aware is the size of the Solis inverter and the battery cage it takes up a lot of space I have mine
in the utility room

I all ready see they advantages of the set up allthough the main disadvantage on a sunny day is watching all
that power go back to the grid .
others on this forum remarked If you had 5k the Banks would give you SFA
in interest on that amount so at todays rates it may be the better investment
for that 5k

yildun
Hi - which company did you go for in the end? Can't see it referred to in the thread. You got a similar-sized system to what I'm looking at but your pricing seems really very good in comparison to quotes I'm getting. Thanks in advance

IrishGunner

Frequent Poster
Hi

Moving into new house soon in the Dublin area and interested in getting solar panels.

Reading the Solar Energy Grant section on the Seai website and also the list of registered companies

Have read all this thread & looking for 3 quotes and see what is best. What company did you use

Also what should I be asking them or what questions could they have for me

Complete Noobie on this so still in research mode

Cheers

Zenith63

Frequent Poster
I recently had the following installed in the Dublin area -
4.85kW of panels (14 panels in East/West config, two story and no scaffolding access to one side, so some extra work to install!)
5kW hybrid inverter
5.2kWh battery
MyEnergi EDDI (diverter to the immersion)
All associated wiring/safety gear
BER survey
€8k after grant (this was the old grant, so €3800)

There were three roofers onsite for a day, then three electricans for a day and finally the BER survey which takes the guy about 2 hours. I went through NextGenPower, I found them good to deal with and would recommend.

Definitely worth shopping around for a couple of prices, there are one or two companies charging absolutely bonkers prices and using high-pressure sales tactics.

Some things to think about -
  • What size system is necessary for you. I have two electric cars so will easily make use of this system, but you might not need as much
  • The panels are relatively cheap, generally it makes financial sense to stick as many up as you can while the roofers are there, within reason!
  • The focus should be on how you can maximise your self-consumption of power you generate. So while a south-facing system will generate the absolute maximum number of kWh's per day, if the system is pumping out 5kW of power at midday while you only ever need 2kW and have no battery, it might make more sense to go with an East/West split, which will not get to that 5kW peak but will be generating earlier in the morning and later in the evening than a South facing equivalent
  • Batteries are still relatively expensive and in reality will not last forever. I wanted to put in a larger one because I'm into technology/green-energy and return on investment was fairly low down my priority list, but you'll likely find that getting quite a small battery (which gets you the bigger grant) will have the system paid back sooner
  • While the diverter to your immersion sounds like a good idea, at €3-400 it could take quite a long time to get that money back, especially if you usually use gas to heat water which is very cheap. Putting the excess power into your battery or electric car would be a better bet, or if you won't have too much excess maybe just let it go to the grid
  • Think about where you want the equipment to go and how that affects what cables will be required to the fusebox etc. Mine all went in the attic, but I had the option of putting them outside in a large enclosure
  • At the moment there is no feed-in-tariff in Ireland, so any excess you send to the grid will be 'wasted' to you. There's some talk of a FIT coming in the next year or two, but other countries have rolled theirs back so not something to bank on
  • Generally the panels cannot be generating power during a power outage, but any stored energy in the battery is usable via the 'Essential Loads' output from your inverter. The installer won't tend to mention this, but you could get them to throw a double socket on this connection so you could use it if your power goes off
  • My BER went from C3 to B1 with the solar/battery/diverter and a few other small things (extra bit of attic insulation, LED lights, insulated attic door), you can decide if you should factor this into the value of having the system
  • I've really enjoyed keeping an eye on the console to see how much power I'm generating, how much is going into the battery etc. This is definitely a fun techy gadget to have, if you're into that kind of thing :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited: