My experience with installing SEAI grant aided solar PV

Reading today June 10th is 55006. Reading on May 10th was 54981. Used less than 1kwh of Electricity per day over the past month.

Attachments

• IMG_20190610_185405.jpg
    IMG_20190610_185405.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190510_183853.jpg
    IMG_20190510_183853.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
hi here is a solar PV quote i receive It seems ok but what do you think

2kW Solar PV + hot water starts at about €3,500 after the grant.
4kW Solar PV + 2.4kWh Battery storage at about €4,500 after the grant.
6kW Solar PV + 4.8kWh Battery storage at about €6,500 after the grant.

This include VAT and Instalation

thanks

Sounds very good,the sweet spot for grant is just over 4 kw in panels, what make and efficiency are the panels proposed, it seems your battery is a little small for worthwhile storage, is there a diverter to the immersion in those prices.

Hi yildum

Can you quote the company you got your quote from, they seem quite competitive relative to quotes I've received recently.

Thank you

Quotes look competitive alright.
I talked to NextGen Power and also SaveMeMoney.ie and both got to the €10k mark for 5kw solar / 5kw battery, including VAT, but excluding grant (€3800)

Hi no diverter in the quote I am not sure if I can name the company on the site however feel free to Pm me I am waiting for a survey this week and will have more Info by Saturday and will post it here I prefer the battery to the diverter and both might be redundant if they start to pay for excess power fed back into the grid

Other quotes i received are in the 9k range and I find it odd that most of the quotes from SEAI approved firms are very similar
thanks

Hi Yildum

Unfortunately when I Pm'd you my request was deleted as recommendations via PM are against the rules. Mod can you clarify if the company can be quoted by Yildum to assist others. Thank you

I am not sure if I can name the company on the site however feel free to Pm me

Hi Yildun, we have a blanket ban on recommendations via PM as it has been abused to some posters significant cost in the past.

You can name the company. We normally restrict that to Frequent Posters, but your history here suggests you didn't just come here to spam in favour of your own company.

Hi Sorry not sure what is going on I have no interest or own any PV solar company just someone checking all the quotes I got

I had the survey carried out today Thursday and the quote is a s follows

4500 incl Vat plus 3800 grant total 8200 Paymnent is 4k up front and the rest
is on completion they will help out with the grant forms so after grant
you pay 4500e and the BER cost They charge 160.00 for BER or get your own local guy

For your 8200 you get the following

Solis 3.6 Inverter with DPDT TPTT switches on the DC and AC side

WIFI

14 Peimar PV panels total 4KW

one 2.4KW pylon tech batt

Battery box with room for a second PT battery

Install and by a SEAI grant approved company

I will be geting a full and detailed quote from the company and will show the details here when it arrives
I found them very helpful during the survey

My roof is tiled not Slate which may cost more

I think I can list the company on the site now however I will just wait until I get the full quote and put that up
on site I am not part of or attached to this company in any way

yildun

14 panels of around 320w to bring it to to around 4.2kw on the roof, I won't be specific as to panel brand but they are 20% efficiency and not Chinese, 6.3 kWh battery as storage, diverter to immersion, €7800 net of grant of €3800,

Usual guarantees and warranty.

In two minds about the storage battery, if a feed in tariff comes along it may look Like a silly add on.

Poor enough experience with the reps I met but that may be due to poor filtering on my part.

It's a lot of money, take your time and do research.

In two minds about the storage battery, if a feed in tariff comes along it may look Like a silly add on.

I think it should stand or fall on its own merits. I don't think it would ever be considered a silly add on: (1) feed-in tariff may never happen and (2) even if it does, it could be very low.

I think it should stand or fall on its own merits. I don't think it would ever be considered a silly add on: (1) feed-in tariff may never happen and (2) even if it does, it could be very low.

On the flip side there is the added cost of the battery and replacement costs every 5-10 or whatever years depending on the cell quality.

web search on the battery brings back prices of around €3200 less grant of €1000, it is a big add on that is slowly degrading with a 10000 charging life cycle, I agree on the replacement costs but expect battery prices to reduce and internal battery engineering to get much better.

I am going to stick it in and hope for the best, reality is I get almost zero on bank interest and this Install will give me an annual cash return on the basis of reduced home electricity costs, that's my logic.

I was wondering about the economic case for this so
Capital Cost: € 6,000
Savings: 2,400 kWh per year (you said your use declined by almost 2/3rds to 1,300)
Cost per kWh: € 0.22 is my estimate of the cost of 1kWh including standing costs and PSO levy
Cost per kWh: € 0.20 is cost of 1 kWh on its own
Savings: € 500 per year
Payback: 12 years

If you factor in 4% per annum increasing electricity costs, but also 1% loss in efficiency of the panels per annum, you come to payback of about 10 years. However I think this notion of a "payback period" can put people off unnecessarily. It is certainly relevant, because if you're going to leave that house after 5 years, the increase in value of the property may not offset your costs yet.

However if you were to think of this as a 20 year (common expected life/warranty on PV) investment, your €6k investment would return €14k (of savings) in that period, so €8k "profit". That's 133% return over 20 years, or the equivalent of putting the money in a bank account giving 4.5% interest that you don't get taxed on. That kind of return is difficult/impossible to achieve elsewhere for the average punter, if you happen to have €6k you don't mind locking away in a low-risk long-term investment and are in a home you plan to stay in...

And that's not factoring in the increased value of your property by improving the BER, the good you're doing for the environment, the fact that you putting up solar panels will likely give your neighbours increased confidence to do so etc.

Sums up my own thoughts exactly, the scheme is generous, just be very careful who you give your business too and negotiate hard with several providers.

The house is a B2 BER now, I will check back in after the new BER is completed.

I think the installation might improve desirability amongst buyers and if that happened then several interested parties would influence final price.

This is speculative as these new Solar PV arrays of around 4Kw are not what is on the new houses, those are much smaller.

The house is a B2 BER now, I will check back in after the new BER is completed.

It'd be interesting to get a valuation done before and after to see if they attribute much value to it.

I think the installation might improve desirability amongst buyers and if that happened then several interested parties would influence final price.

It may indeed play some role, but having been watching a section of the Dublin market quite closely for a while now, even significant differences in BER ratings aren't having much of an impact. As fuel prices rise and carbon taxes get loaded, I'd imagine it'll play a far more significant role, I'm just not seeing it yet.

Back