My experience with installing SEAI grant aided solar PV

The value of an asset is the discounted rate of its future cash flows.
so in 12 years time, if the system is still printing 383 euro tax free, it is not "effectively worthless" it is still an asset.

And I can still realize it's value, either by selling the house or selling the panels on the 2nd hand market.

On the opportunity cost of spending the 6k upfront I used a company and there business model is to have you pay monthly for the next 10 years. This is interest free and meat I could get mine installed and still have 6k (got 1.8 back for the grant after)
Extra power generated during the day is going to the immersion so using less gas and electric.
BER went for c1 to b2 also.

And I can still realize it's value, either by selling the house or selling the panels on the 2nd hand market.
Can you show me anywhere in Ireland where I can sell a 12 year old solar system for what I paid for it?

Also, why can't you post your system components that all have a 25 year warranty?

On the opportunity cost of spending the 6k upfront I used a company and there business model is to have you pay monthly for the next 10 years. This is interest free and meat I could get mine installed and still have 6k (got 1.8 back for the grant after)
Extra power generated during the day is going to the immersion so using less gas and electric.
Which company was that?

We have a setup from the same company.

2.5 kWh array on the roof installed last December.

We paid €40 per month for the first couple of months until the grant came through (€1,800 - goes to the installer) and we have been paying €20 per month since and will do so until 10 years is up (total cost to us €2,400).

To-date it's produced 2.58 MWh of electricity (circa €516 worth) versus us having paid out less than €300 so far.

I'm working from home full time so self-consumption is pretty good although I don't have a way to accurately measure this until we get a smart meter. I would estimate that for 6 months of the year, we are saving more than the €20 per month it is costing us.

We paid €40 per month for the first couple of months until the grant came through (€1,800 - goes to the installer) and we have been paying €20 per month since and will do so until 10 years is up (total cost to us €2,400).

To-date it's produced 2.58 MWh of electricity (circa €516 worth) versus us having paid out less than €300 so far.

I'm working from home full time so self-consumption is pretty good although I don't have a way to accurately measure this until we get a smart meter. I would estimate that for 6 months of the year, we are saving more than the €20 per month it is costing us.
That's not a bad deal if it continues like that what I think would be another incentive would for households who have taken the leap get carbon credits for generation, that way the household could make another few bob, if anyone was €600 a year better off by installing a system it would be more attractive.

The capital cost is still a hurdle for many unfortunately.

Be mindful of the smart meter just yet, the rates on offer are not yet competitive with the standard meter I did the maths and for now I think overall with our consumption it’s cheaper to stay with an non smart meter! AFAIK you can refuse them at the moment. If you look at boards.ie there is some proper rants about this on the renewables section.

Be mindful of the smart meter just yet, the rates on offer are not yet competitive with the standard meter I did the maths and for now I think overall with our consumption it’s cheaper to stay with an non smart meter! AFAIK you can refuse them at the moment. If you look at boards.ie there is some proper rants about this on the renewables section.
I don't believe you will be forced onto a 'smart' tariff just because you get the meter installed.

I don't believe you will be forced onto a 'smart' tariff just because you get the meter installed.
That could be the case but looking at bonkers and switcher you are asked if you have a smart meter and then you only get options of smart tariffs.

Is there a night rate tariff available with a smart meter?
The smart tariffs will have two or more rates, as more meters get rolled out the market will likely respond with more options, like a super low rate for a few hours overnight that would allow you charge an electric car, but expect higher charges during peak demand hours.

Is there a night rate tariff available with a smart meter?

There are three time periods: Night, Day ,Peak. I have the meter 8 months and found was usage was roughly 15%, 70%, 15% (have GFCH and PV). On that basis the smart tariffs were not attractive. It may have provided a benefit with the free Sat/Sun but not significant enough over the year to not go with the lowest rates (i.e. non-smart tarrif).

There are three time periods: Night, Day ,Peak. I have the meter 8 months and found was usage was roughly 15%, 70%, 15% (have GFCH and PV). On that basis the smart tariffs were not attractive. It may have provided a benefit with the free Sat/Sun but not significant enough over the year to not go with the lowest rates (i.e. non-smart tarrif).
I've seen people on EV forums not wanting to switch as the night rate didn't seem as attractive compared to the Day/Night meter.

I've seen people on EV forums not wanting to switch as the night rate didn't seem as attractive compared to the Day/Night meter.
I did a quick check on bonkes.ie and like that I saw that the night rate for the smart tariffs was nowhere as cheap as the night rate on the Day/Night meter. However, they were also offering free electricity on Saturdays. I would have thought that if you have an EV, and you can get away with charging once a week that having a free day would work nicely.

Back