Lunch at work

liaconn

Just a nosy question really. Do many of you bring a lunch into work everyday, or do most people still buy stuff from the deli/Spar at lunchtime? (Yes, I don't have a huge amount on my mind today) :)

I go out for a dinner on Monday.

Buy fron the deli on Tuesday. (No food in house)

Make and bring in my own for the rest of the week.

A balanced diet :)

I go out to a deli at lunchtime but this has to stop as I can't afford a tenner a day for lunch. So we are going to start a kitty and start shopping for sandwich ingredients for lunch instead.

Bring a Sandwich most days, when I forget making one I buy a cheap imitation sandwich in the canteen. (Then vow never to forget again).

I always make sure to bring my own Tea bags in though as they charge 69c for a tea bag in hot water in here.

We have a kitchen here so we buy enough food for the week and make our own stuff, brekkie, lunch, snacks. We have saved a fortune over the last few weeks, especially on things like tea's and coffee's!!!

Subsidised canteen onsite - but usually bring 3 pieces of fruit with me and just buy a light sandwich to eat with them for 2 euro-ish at lunchtime.

Thanks for indulging my nosiness. I used to buy a sandwich or roll everyday. Then, due to the need to economise I started buying 'lunch stuff' in Tesco every Sunday to make lunches for the week. Couldn't be bothered a couple of weeks ago and decided I'd just do with whatever was in the fridge. I cannot believe how economical that is. Instead of throwing out leftover pasta or stir fry because there's not enough left to do another dinner, or finding two eggs left in the box at the use by date, absolutely everything is getting used up. Also, lunches have become more interesting and varied.

I sometimes apply that principle to dinner and just bang together whatever is hanging round the fridge and make some rice to go with it - works for me too!

I think a mix is fairly common - I usually bring lunch in 3 times a week (we have no canteen but have kitchen with microwaves), buy a €4 roll/panini once and got for a "sit down" lunch on a Friday. I think bringing in lunch is a good idea but its nice to have a balance and get out of the office, especially on a Friday.

Dont understand this though:
I go out to a deli at lunchtime but this has to stop as I can't afford a tenner a day for lunch.

How can you spend a tenner in a deli (non-sit down meal)?

Lunch is for wimps.

It's because of people like you that we are in this recession.

Thanks for indulging my nosiness. I used to buy a sandwich or roll everyday. Then, due to the need to economise I started buying 'lunch stuff' in Tesco every Sunday to make lunches for the week. Couldn't be bothered a couple of weeks ago and decided I'd just do with whatever was in the fridge. I cannot believe how economical that is. Instead of throwing out leftover pasta or stir fry because there's not enough left to do another dinner, or finding two eggs left in the box at the use by date, absolutely everything is getting used up. Also, lunches have become more interesting and varied.

Great idea. We've a canteen with hot & cold options nut no microware to heat up your own lunch. Still, cold pasta is OK though

We have free canteen on site, unlimited beverages and bikkies during the day, a TV room and DVD's for quiet moments oh yea and a BBQ and wine fridge. Great place to work.

Oh did I mention about working from home ? :D

I bring lunch in most days. It's usually yesterdays dinner heated in microwave which in all honesty is going to blow up from the usage in the last year. It was gathering dust up to that.

Bring in lunch mon - thurs (beans on toast most days with fruit as snacks), friday i get something either from the local centra, or there is a food market every friday near us. some great options, pizza, noodles, paella, burgers, cupcakes etc. etc. so i usually get something from there and sit out on the grass reading the book.

Back