Lunch at work

My desk drawer is constantly stocked with tins of sardines, beans, mackerel, noodles, crackers, tins of soup and a box of cereal, very cheap!
Friday is a nice day to go out for lunch though

Actually, I used to always feel bloated and uncomfortable after lunch when I bought sandwiches or baguettes made up in the shop. Now that I'm making my own lunches (and eating less bread) that feeling's gone. So healthier, as well as cheaper.

I usually get in to work 10 minutes either side of 8 in the morning and I’m usually last in; most start between 7.00 and 7.30.
The people in the office don’t get an afternoon break. Some finish early at 5.00 but most of us are here ‘till between 6.00 and 7.30, 2-3 evenings a week.

Almost 12 hour days! Work smart not hard Purple!!

We wear nappies in work to cut back on toilet breaks.

Sometimes it feels like I am carrying this Country on my back when I hear of lunch breaks, breakfasts, cups of tea etc.

Still, not one to complain...

I bring all my food into work even though we have a canteen with hot and cold foods (subsidised so a hot dinner is about €3.50) still I bring food as it's healthier and cheaper. I make sandwiches usually to bring and I might buy soup to go with them (soup is €0.79 here) and I also have apple, banana and maybe a nutrigrain to keep me going as snacks. I keep my own tea bags at my desk although they have the kitchen stocked, I'm fussy and don't like those ones. I eat breakfast when I come in (about 7.30) as having it at home would be too early. I bring my own cereal in to eat and milk is provided in the kitchen, even skimmed milk. I get 30 mins for lunch which is plenty when you're only going downstairs to eat something you brought in. If I make a sandwich at home, ham for example, a packet of Aldi ham wafer thin crumbed is my fave is €1.69, their bread €0.99 and I'd get 3 days ham sambos out of that plus another day or two I'd have banana sambos (love them) I keep the bread in the freezer take it out the night before. I reckon the week of sandwiches would cost me about €3!

Last edited:
We wear nappies in work to cut back on toilet breaks.

Sometimes it feels like I am carrying this Country on my back when I hear of lunch breaks, breakfasts, cups of tea etc.

Still, not one to complain...

I take it you work for a county council or some other privileged work place you wimp. We have to sit over a hole in the ground and share a damp sponge.

Sponging is to be taken out of your lunch break.

I take it you work for a county council or some other privileged work place you wimp. We have to sit over a hole in the ground and share a damp sponge.

Sponging is to be taken out of your lunch break.

We used to be the same until the Health & Safety crowd came calling. I don't know any business is supposed to make money these days with all this bureaucratic rubbish. So one person got bitten by a rat. Big deal.

My desk drawer is constantly stocked with tins of sardines, beans, mackerel, noodles, crackers, tins of soup and a box of cereal, very cheap!

What are you the local branch of Lidl ? :D Do you have any of them lovely pollock or salmon in pastry thingys they have in the freezers ?

We used to be the same until the Health & Safety crowd came calling. I don't know any business is supposed to make money these days with all this bureaucratic rubbish. So one person got bitten by a rat. Big deal.

We got around that by making the rats employees and providing them with hard hats and paw sanitising stations. It set us back a few euro trying to find really small hard hats, but it was worth it in the end.

We got around that by making the rats employees and providing them with hard hats and paw sanitising stations. It set us back a few euro trying to find really small hard hats, but it was worth it in the end.

You see that's why the private sector is so much better than the public sector. That sort of innovative thinking is what will make this Country great again.

we have free canteen on site, unlimited beverages and bikkies during the day, a tv room and dvd's for quiet moments oh yea and a bbq and wine fridge. Great place to work.

Oh did i mention about working from home ? :d

This one wins the prize

Tesco Southern Fried Chicken (8/10 for me regarding pre-packaged sandwich), 330ml of Tropicana and a bag of Tayhoos for 2.50 - not bad.

I spend anything from €1 (bowl of soup) to €5 (main meal & smoothie) in our subsidised canteen per day, depending on what's happening later in the day. I normally have my main meal at home with the family, so I'm desperatly trying to avoid having two dinners each day. If we have leftover meats at home, I bring in a sandwich to have with the soup the next day.

Back