Long queues again today, Sunday, in Dublin Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about forcing but supporting reduced landing fees etc. European regional airports do this .
Fees are less than €8, with substantial discounts at the moment for all airports to boost recovery. Even if you scrapped fees entirely, the people still have to want to fly from or to the airport / region in question.

You can already fly from Shannon to London for less than from Dublin, so price is not the factor that's holding Shannon back.

Fees are less than €8, with substantial discounts at the moment for all airports to boost recovery. Even if you scrapped fees entirely, the people still have to want to fly from or to the airport / region in question.

You can already fly from Shannon to London for less than from Dublin, so price is not the factor that's holding Shannon back.
I wasn't specifically talking about Shannon, but scrapping fees for airlines would only be a part of the overall strategy.....getting more carriers into regional airports would take more incentives from central Government.
I'm not a fan of subsidising but if the economic benefits of having more people fly locally is better than travelling to Dublin what's to lose?

London isn't exotic

Last edited:
I wasn't specifically talking about Shannon, but scrapping fees for airlines would only be a part of the overall strategy.....getting more carriers into regional airports would take more incentives from central Government.
Looking at the same dates I priced for Shannon, Cork also works out cheaper than Dublin-London. I just don't see much value in that kind of investment when there are so may other areas that need attention and there's not a huge amount that can be done within the constraints of state aid rules.
I'm not a fan of subsidising but if the economic benefits of having more people fly locally is better than travelling to Dublin what's to lose?
For the majority of the population, Dublin is the local airport, and even if you people living in Ireland don't tend to spend a lot in the vicinity of the airport.

I wonder will the Brits blame Brexit! :)

"British Airways passengers are being asked to check in their luggage the day before they fly amid delays, cancellations and mile-long queues at airports. Passengers due to fly from Gatwick and Heathrow received emails and text messages last night inviting them to drop off their bags the day before departure in an effort to ease pressure on check-in desks. Passengers spoke of “insane queues” and “chaos” at Heathrow Terminals 2 and 5. Other travellers claimed they had faced three-hour queues at Gatwick and Manchester airports this morning." The Times

Also from the Irish Times

Is this an Irish problem?

No. Similar delays and queues have been reported in Britain and the Netherlands over recent weeks. Passengers at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport queued into the street last Thursday while Dutch airline KLM suspended sales of tickets for flights leaving the airport because of the overcrowding. Trade unions representing staff at Schiphol are threatening to strike on June 1st if working conditions do not improve.

Long security queues have also been reported over recent weeks at Manchester Airport, Stansted Airport and Heathrow Airport while Eastjet cancelled 200 flights last Thursday because of a software glitch.
Lots of flights in the US cancelled over their bank holiday weekend.

Airlines can cancel flights when there is a staff shortage, airports can't, hence the long queues.

No No No - it was pure happenstance that all the empty seats were in the Liverpool end whilst there were no empty seats in the Real Madrid end. ;)
I've been there for a couple of sell-out games and it was always very smooth getting in. Saw one BBC reporter questioning how they'd be able to cope with the Rugby World Cup next year who was obviously unaware they hosted it there without any issues in '07.

Has anyone who has been through a packed Dublin Airport departure recently found that passengers with a flight within 1 1/2 to 2 hours ahead are being given priority at security, which would seem an easy suggestion to avoid people missing their flights?
Or is it just a dreadful random senseless queue?

Has anyone who has been through a packed Dublin Airport departure recently found that passengers with a flight within 1 1/2 to 2 hours ahead are being given priority at security, which would seem an easy suggestion to avoid people missing their flights?
The only problem with that approach is you incentivise people to show up late and punish those who show up in good time.

The only problem with that approach is you incentivise people to show up late and punish those who show up in good time.
1½ to 2 hours ahead of flight time is not remotely late. A lot of the current problems are caused by people being there up to 7 hours (!) ahead of their flights.

Details from RTE on a new triaging system and staff absences...

The operators say at times when the terminals get particularly busy, they will be triaging access to the terminals and only allowing departing passengers into the departures level that have flights departing within two-and-a-half hours to short-haul destinations and three-and-a-half for long-haul destinations. Passengers that arrive too early for their flights will be asked to wait in a passenger holding area...
The airport was down 37 security officers. Of these, 17 were new recruits which the airport had hoped would have completed training to allow them to work on Sunday. Another twenty officers were absent. The impact of this, was that the airport could not open six security lanes, three in each terminal. This led to a processing deficit of 1,200 passengers an hour.

Details from RTE on a new triaging system and staff absences...

The operators say at times when the terminals get particularly busy, they will be triaging access to the terminals and only allowing departing passengers into the departures level that have flights departing within two-and-a-half hours to short-haul destinations and three-and-a-half for long-haul destinations. Passengers that arrive too early for their flights will be asked to wait in a passenger holding area...
The airport was down 37 security officers. Of these, 17 were new recruits which the airport had hoped would have completed training to allow them to work on Sunday. Another twenty officers were absent. The impact of this, was that the airport could not open six security lanes, three in each terminal. This led to a processing deficit of 1,200 passengers an hour.

How many were rostered? The 17 not trained are the responsibility of management to 20 others need to find a new job.

A mess

1½ to 2 hours ahead of flight time is not remotely late. A lot of the current problems are caused by people being there up to 7 hours (!) ahead of their flights.
I didn't suggest a time, the airlines all have various advice on that. My point was just that if they openly implement a system where those who arrive later than others are allowed to skip the queues, it only incentivises everyone to arrive late. You'd be a fool to arrive at or before the advised check-in times if you're just going to stand in a queue watching people arriving after you stream past.

God be with the days when I could leave my house 60 minutes before the gate closed, get to the airport 35 minutes before it closed, go to the Aer Lingus lounge and have my breakfast, and arrive at the gate just as it was meant to close, which was usually when it opened.

I can't wait until there is a serious carbon tax slapped on air travel and the riffraff are priced out of the market leaving it for us more civilised types. ;)

I didn't suggest a time, the airlines all have various advice on that. My point was just that if they openly implement a system where those who arrive later than others are allowed to skip the queues, it only incentivises everyone to arrive late. You'd be a fool to arrive at or before the advised check-in times if you're just going to stand in a queue watching people arriving after you stream past.
No, it incentivises everyone to arrive when they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back