Long queues again today, Sunday, in Dublin Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

View attachment 6294

Dublin Airport’s website estimated times to clear security at 30 minutes for Terminal 1 and 45 minutes for Terminal 2 late on Sunday morning.

Seems odd that this crowd could clear security in 30 minutes!
I doubt anyone would be at the bag drop in and hour looking at that crowd, how would the DAA know? Are they using check in time as the starting point?

The DAA are a disgrace.

They took the opportunity that Covid presented to machete their staff and bring in people on Mike Ashley style zero and 20 hour contracts.

Why aren’t the Government going apoplectic?

This is an awful look for the country.

Can you imagine the headache for young families heading off on holidays.

Next weekend, being a bank holiday, may well be even worse. Perhaps, rather than ranting and raving at the DAA, the government should ask itself why so many people (including one of my sprogs) prefer drawing the dole rather than taking up paid employment.

Next weekend, being a bank holiday, may well be even worse. Perhaps, rather than ranting and raving at the DAA, the government should ask itself why so many people (including one of my sprogs) prefer drawing the dole rather than taking up paid employment.
I believe the DAA are guaranteeing 20 hours work at a rate including shift allowance of 14.40 an hour.
So to take this job,you would have to be prepared to take home €280 a week in the quiet months.
The airport is also a high cost destination if you are working shifts starting outside conventional public transport hours.(Northwood Santry to the airport would be €15 in a taxi for instance).
With the rent on a room nearing 1k a month,I can see how they are struggling to get and/or retain staff.

Are we back to the times when people should accept any old job and not ones that they are qualified for? There are plenty of people who would like to take that security job but not under the conditions being offered by the DAA.

The govt should haul them over the coals for this. Videos on twitter showing the airport is packed at 03:40 this morning.

A mate of mine flew out of Cork yesterday. His wife booked there purposely just in case (He lives in Wexford). He said he was longer waiting for his pint at the bar than going through security.

A mate of mine flew out of Cork yesterday. His wife booked there purposely just in case (He lives in Wexford). He said he was longer waiting for his pint at the bar than going through security.
And it probably only took 2.5 hrs to drive from Wexford to Cork,might be less.

Are we back to the times when people should accept any old job and not ones that they are qualified for

Absolutely, whats this about sitting on your butt, waiting for the perfect job to rock up at your door. The present system has made it far too easy to sit back and do just that.

If someone lost their highly qualified position, and took a less qualified position in another job, while seeking out his preferred employment, that's the person id want to hire, not the individual with all their papers, sitting watching Judge Judy with the phone in hand waiting for the perfect employment opportunity.

Unfortunately, its that type of thinking that has led us to long term unemployment, and rewarded same.

And it probably only took 2.5 hrs to drive from Wexford to Cork,might be less.
Very few people are indifferent to using other airports other than Dublin, particularly given destination choice involved.

Sure if you live in Portlaoise and want to fly to Heathrow then you can choose Cork for comfort, but this is maybe 5% of passengers.

Very few people are indifferent to using other airports other than Dublin, particularly given destination choice involved.

Sure if you live in Portlaoise and want to fly to Heathrow then you can choose Cork for comfort, but this is maybe 5% of passengers.
I know that but with the motorway network we now have perhaps its time for people to think differently, I would imagine this situation will correct itself, but the other Airports could be assessed to take the pressure off Dublin at peak times or become more useful than now.

Aerlingus were a few years ago ,I think, were looking at US flights from Cork as they have the A321ltr....the plane that my wife used recently flying to Newark.

We are going to Sardinia in July flying out of Cork cheaper and a shorter flight, and free parking .......

Most European travellers want to fly into Dublin and I get that but Cork, Shannon, Knock are all capable of carrying passengers and I know airlines would have to weight up the commercial realities but there is a solution to most of these problems.

Absolutely, whats this about sitting on your butt, waiting for the perfect job to rock up at your door. The present system has made it far too easy to sit back and do just that.

If someone lost their highly qualified position, and took a less qualified position in another job, while seeking out his preferred employment, that's the person id want to hire, not the individual with all their papers, sitting watching Judge Judy with the phone in hand waiting for the perfect employment opportunity.

Unfortunately, its that type of thinking that has led us to long term unemployment, and rewarded same.
But you have to agree that 20hrs work shouldn't be more or less the same as getting the dole, that's the issue.

I know that but with the motorway network we now have perhaps its time for people to think differently, I would imagine this situation will correct itself, but the other Airports could be assessed to take the pressure off Dublin at peak times or become more useful than now.
The motorway network and airport set-up haven't changed in 15 years. In Dublin airport car parks you'll see registration plates from the entire country, and also NI. The gravitational pull of one airport in a small island is very strong.

Shannon fought a losing battle on this for half a century and no amount of government policy could ever fix the problem that it doesn't have very many people living near it.

Security delays are a problem for the DAA to fix by hiring more staff and/or paying existing staff more. It's nothing to do with national airport policy.

The motorway network and airport set-up haven't changed in 15 years. In Dublin airport car parks you'll see registration plates from the entire country, and also NI. The gravitational pull of one airport in a small island is very strong.

Shannon fought a losing battle on this for half a century and no amount of government policy could ever fix the problem that it doesn't have very many people living near it.

Security delays are a problem for the DAA to fix by hiring more staff and/or paying existing staff more. It's nothing to do with national airport policy.
Again I agree and understand that but equally alternatives haven't been tried and probably won't be .

Wonder what the situation will be like when the second runway is open?

But, Id be flipping that issue, the Dole should not equate to half a weeks wage with all the fringe benefits that go with it.
Yes, but that's not going to change by any Government if 20hrs was €400 in the world we live in now that might change the situation, but low wages,minimal rights for employees is the hole we are going down.

Business is a simple concept, everyone needs to get something of use out of it.

Are we back to the times when people should accept any old job and not ones that they are qualified for?

I would assume that the vast majority of "people" would be "qualified" to work in an Airport Security job. Subject, of course, to obtaining garda clearance. The alternative that you implicitly endorse would appear to involve "people" sitting on their backsides until a job comes along that they fancy.

The govt should haul them over the coals for this. Videos on twitter showing the airport is packed at 03:40 this morning.

And "hauling them over the coals" will achieve what exactly? If governement policy makes it more attractive for potential employees to sit on their backsides at home waiting for their dream job to turn up - ideally one that allows them to work from home - rather than applying to fill current vacancies, then there are limits to what DAA can achieve.

I would assume that the vast majority of "people" would be "qualified" to work in an Airport Security job. Subject, of course, to obtaining garda clearance. The alternative that you implicitly endorse would appear to involve "people" sitting on their backsides until a job comes along that they fancy.
I was unemployed for 6 months before deciding to start my own business. Was I sitting on my backside? I didn't watch one minute of tv during the day when I was unemployed. I was busy applying for jobs in the area that I had experience in as well as lots of other things around the house. I didn't apply for any jobs in any area I have no experience in. And remember, potential employers will look at someone's CV and see what their qualifications are. "So why are you applying for this job? Until something else comes along? Ok, we're not going to spend time and money on training you only for you leave".

And "hauling them over the coals" will achieve what exactly? If governement policy makes it more attractive for potential employees to sit on their backsides at home waiting for their dream job to turn up - ideally one that allows them to work from home - rather than applying to fill current vacancies, then there are limits to what DAA can achieve.
Put them under pressure to sort it. Quite easily, pay the staff more so more people will apply for the work. If the DAA are paying rates and providing hours so low that it's not much higher than welfare, they need to pay more. It's simple.

Again I agree and understand that but equally alternatives haven't been tried and probably won't be .
I'm not sure what hasn't been tried. There have been plenty of international routes from both Cork or Shannon airports, including some that haven't survived, and remember the enforced Shannon stop-over? In reality this is a supply and demand issue, if there were greater demand, you can be sure the airlines would fly from these airports, but as it stands they don't have the scale to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back