Long queues again today, Sunday, in Dublin Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what hasn't been tried. There have been plenty of international routes from both Cork or Shannon airports, including some that haven't survived, and remember the enforced Shannon stop-over? In reality this is a supply and demand issue, if there were greater demand, you can be sure the airlines would fly from these airports, but as it stands they don't have the scale to compete.
I remember everything to do with Irish aviation including the time a group of Cork businessmen approached taking Cork private and Aer Rianta, saying " Cork is a strategic airport and we will develop it to its capacity " that's 21 years ago.

DAA, own Cork btw . Another example was Norwegian flying to the US one of my close friends lives in Boston and he flew a few times saying the plane was packed everytime.

I'm not one of those who believe build it and they will come, the asset is there and its really upto the airlines to take the leap, and I have actually flown from Cork to Dublin and onto the US , the fare was the fare.

Knock and Shannon are also there, but its difficult to get any support for expansion if the money is spent in Dublin, 2nd runway now on the cards, will the existing infrastructure cope with this expansion?

50,000 passengers a day isn't a lot of traffic and let's be honest T1 is nothing more than a cattle shed now at departures, T2 better but also can be a pain in the ........

We in Ireland have a fantastic ability to try and solve problems when the problem is essentially out of control, why not have a plan B?

What we need to know is
1) How many people were scheduled to work at the weekend
2) How many rang in sick

I assume that the DAA knows how many passengers will be going through Dublin Airport tomorrow.
I assume that they staff for this number and maybe have more schedule, to allow for 5% absenteeism.
But if 20% didn't show up for work on Sunday, there isn't much the DAA can do about it.

I have no idea if that is the cause and maybe they are not organised enough.

But other shops and pubs have reduced opening hours due to staff shortages. DAA can't just shut the airport.

Brendan

What we need to know is
1) How many people were scheduled to work at the weekend
2) How many rang in sick

I assume that the DAA knows how many passengers will be going through Dublin Airport tomorrow.
I assume that they staff for this number and maybe have more schedule, to allow for 5% absenteeism.
But if 20% didn't show up for work on Sunday, there isn't much the DAA can do about it.

I have no idea if that is the cause and maybe they are not organised enough.

But other shops and pubs have reduced opening hours due to staff shortages. DAA can't just shut the airport.

Brendan
Perhaps if they gave people 40hrs of work rather than the contracts they give now, might instill a bit of pride in people's attitude towards work.

Abusing people isn't going to motivate them no matter how much " business speak " is used.

Ireland has never been good at Just in Time with anything, and using people in this manner is simply appalling behaviour by any employer

DAA, own Cork btw . Another example was Norwegian flying to the US one of my close friends lives in Boston and he flew a few times saying the plane was packed everytime.

I'm not one of those who believe build it and they will come, the asset is there and its really upto the airlines to take the leap, and I have actually flown from Cork to Dublin and onto the US , the fare was the fare.
I'm of the same opinion, just building capacity won't solve anything, like forcing trans-Atlantic planes to stop in Shannon didn't make people want to fly from there. The airlines will deliver if there is sufficient demand to make money.

Air travel is a low margin high volume business now, we certainly don't have the volumes to support three major international airports, perhaps not even two.

Just how many Liverpool fans work there that were still crying into their beer on the Sunday morning?

I live in Dublin. No other airport is a realisitc option.
People from outside Dublin have to drive hours to get to Dublin. Why is it not realistic to go to Shannon, Cork or Belfast?

Obviously not convenient and shouldn't be happening.

I'm of the same opinion, just building capacity won't solve anything, like forcing trans-Atlantic planes to stop in Shannon didn't make people want to fly from there. The airlines will deliver if there is sufficient demand to make money.

Air travel is a low margin high volume business now, we certainly don't have the volumes to support three major international airports, perhaps not even two.
I'm not talking about forcing but supporting reduced landing fees etc. European regional airports do this .

Yes margins are tiny and have been since I worked in the industry over 20 years ago, when BA launched Go, I think it was called, they kept their cost base more or less as the flagship, selling seats at upto 50% of the cost wasn't clever.

We ordered 250,000 seats to sell and I'll be honest we did sell them and made more money than they did.

People from outside Dublin have to drive hours to get to Dublin. Why is it not realistic to go to Shannon, Cork or Belfast?

Obviously not convenient and shouldn't be happening.
Because Dublin airport is 30 minutes away??

What is happening now isn't a constant. I was on a flight on the Saturday of the May bank holiday, no problems. My son went on flight with school in April, he was queuing for 5 minutes.

Just on Shannon, BA operate /d a flight from London City it's a 737 with 68 seats its flight number is BA001 which was Concords flight number, and flys to JFK

It stops in Shannon to refuel and pick up passengers, not many mind.

Just thought I'd share that bit of trivia.

Why is it not realistic to go to Shannon, Cork or Belfast?
Because the population centroid of the island of Ireland is in Kilcock, Co Kildare.

If you could only build one airport in the entire Ireland you would put it somewhere off the M50 to maximise access to the entire population.

Cork airport will just never be very accessible to a large share of the population.

Because the population centroid of the island of Ireland is in Kilcock, Co Kildare.

If you could only build one airport in the entire Ireland you would put it somewhere off the M50 to maximise access to the entire population.

Cork airport will just never be very accessible to a large share of the population.
Time to buy/lease/rent that LearJet and fly in/out of Baldonnell Casement Aerodrome so!

Didn't to build a no-frills terminal at some point?
Proven right (again), our Mike O'Leary?

Government ministers are much too fond of being able to drive straight up to the door of the government jet for any civilian use :)
Do we actually have one? A few years ago (2015, IIRC) I had Our President Michael D. Higgins sitting a few rows in front of me on an AerLingus flight from SFA -> DUB. Business class. His staff was travelling Economy though!

EDIT: Or Maybe he doesn't get to use it...

The Irish Times has also raised the issue.

Kevin Cullinane, Head of DAA Communications, told The Irish Times that “sufficient” staff numbers were rostered to deal with the numbers scheduled to travel on Sunday but that these plans “weren’t achieved resulting in fewer security lanes being open and a substantial queue build up” by early morning.

Some staff called in sick on Sunday morning but it is unclear why overall staff levels were so low, said Mr Cullinane. He refused to further speculate as to why some staff called in sick on Sunday, the morning after two international sporting events.

“We knew 50,000 passengers would be departing over the course of the full day. We know the breakdown by hour and we man desks accordingly. We processed comparable numbers on Saturday without any issues. But yesterday we were very tight on numbers.”

DAA is currently carrying out a “full root cause analysis” of why delays were so severe on Sunday and why sufficient staff were not available, said Mr Cullinane.

I just heard of a plane that landed from Canada at 11 am and their luggage still has to arrive for collection at 3 pm , not a great advertisment ....some people cannot get in to the Airport and others cannot get out ....

Also from the Irish Times

Is this an Irish problem?

No. Similar delays and queues have been reported in Britain and the Netherlands over recent weeks. Passengers at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport queued into the street last Thursday while Dutch airline KLM suspended sales of tickets for flights leaving the airport because of the overcrowding. Trade unions representing staff at Schiphol are threatening to strike on June 1st if working conditions do not improve.

Long security queues have also been reported over recent weeks at Manchester Airport, Stansted Airport and Heathrow Airport while Eastjet cancelled 200 flights last Thursday because of a software glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back