Laser Hair Removal.

Miak,

I was advised that ten days was the length of time it took for the hair to fall out and it proved so. The hairs just fell or rubbed off between 8 and 14 days after treatment. Give it another week at least and resist the temptation to yank any! If they don't fall out then, then the treatment was not successful. Remember, too, that finer and/or lighter hairs are the least responsive to laser treatment.

Dawnsurprise,

The cost will depend on the amount of hair to be zapped. If you are looking for three hairs on your chin to be removed, then a single blast in a single session might do it, taking a total of five minutes and costing you under E50. If you want every hair on your underarms removed forever, meaning a fifteen minute session and fifteen zaps per underarm, with six to twelve treatments at a minimum, then expect to shell out over E100 per session, with later sessions perhaps costing less, as there will be fewer hairs to remove. Costs vary dramatically, though.

I went to the BHBC ([broken link removed]) in Cork. I tried a few other places in Cork, but got the best service, the best price and the most effective patch test there. Shopping around paid off greatly and better deals may be available from the greater range of clinics in Dublin. If I were in Dublin and looking for the same service, I'd be booking myself in for patch tests all over the place as freebie mini-sessions - after all, the hair removed in a patch test is just as gone as that removed during the sessions you pay for. :D

Sessions are pretty brief. You come in and reveal your hairy shame, they clean the area, charge up the machine, cover your eyes and start zapping, with a few seconds between each zap for the machine to recharge. Once the zapping is done, they smear you with soothing stuff like aloe vera and off you go - it's a matter of minutes. You'll be a bit red, maybe, if your skin is sensitive, but not enough to have to hide yourself and the redness is not specific to each follicle (after electrolysis, I'd have to scurry out of public sight, as it would be clear that specific hairs had been treated). The redness was gone by the next day at the latest, in my case and the treatment only hurts for the second it takes to do the actual zapping. Your chin probably won't hurt much, as it's not a very sensitive area, but the upper lip will.

I don't think there's any limit on the extent of an area that can be lasered in one session, unless you're pregnant or have been out in the sun or on a sunbed in the previous 24 hours, in which case, the extent that will be lasered is zero. There are some other medical restrictions, which you should be asked about in the clinic.

Dawnsuprise,

The clinic I went to charged 100 euro per 20 minutes session, upper lip and chin only take about five minutes so this still left enough time for underarms, bikini line or anything else I wanted done. I thought this was pretty good value, some other places charge by area to be treated alone! As I said though have only had one session so far, upper lip really successful, still no regrowth! Chin is still a different story...

there really wasn't much redness! I was able to go shopping afterwards! Would look worse after waxing!

thanks guys - i live in meath.... long way from cork :(
may i ask where you went to miak?
had you no success with the hair on your chin miak?
i am dark and fair skinned (however i do take a tan)
the hairs i want removed are not fine... so i guess it should work on my chin?

I went to the Laser Centre in Hume Street in Dublin. As I said, I've only been there for one session but I liked the place and the technican was very nice and helpful etc. I'm the same as you, dark, usually pale skin and would take a tan. The hairs on my upper lip were fine and they were gone as soon as the laser hit them, I just have a few errant hairs on my chin but because I plucked them instead of waxing they are much coarser. I'm going to take Polar's advice and wait another week to see if they fall out! Have to say that some were destroyed immediately but some of the more stubborn ones just don't seem to want to leave...

Be careful where you choose though, many place advertise laser but they actually use IPL or similar which is not a laser. I have aunts who have used IPL and while it works it seems to take much longer than the laser. With the laser you can actually smell burning hair, which is strangely satisfying :)

Miak - that seems good value as Therapie Clinic are charging per area, so 'high demand' areas like lip, chin etc. are much more expensive than other areas even though it's the exact same technology/effort!

S

Hello,
I had suggested to a friend of mine (who is Asian) about this thread & on going for Laser treatment for her facial hair problem.
She booked herself for a consultation with Laser centre in Hume street & was advised that her skin (brown & black hair) can not be treated there as it requires a special laser equipment(ND Yag). She is very dissapointed & frustrated.

Can anyone reading this thread advice on any reliable clinics in Dublin who offer this treatment.

I went to the Laser Centre also, I found I got fairly good results on my legs, and rather poor results under my arms & bikini line. I was told I was ideal for the treatment due to being quite pale and having very dark hair. I'm in two minds as to whether I'd recommend laser treatment at all or not to be honest. In theory it's the most fantastic idea in the world, in practice it's very expensive still if it doesn't work - and you don't know instantly if it will work or not......

.......the other thing to bear in mind, was that the technician in the Laser Centre told me that when you go through major hormonal changes (pregnancy / menopause) hair growth can recommence (hope I explained that correctly :confused: )

I can confirm that I have absolutely no affiliation with derma laser. Am just a satisfied customer.

Hiya Polar,
I've just seen your posts as I've been trying to find info on Laser in Cork City. I know it is very expensive and a friend of mine went through about 6 sessions of ipl in a salon in west cork with only mediocre results. I'm just wondering were you satisfied with the treatment you received in bhbc? Was it laser or ipl? How expensive was it?

Hi sparkle,

I believe that BHBC used IPL, but it was effective and I was happy with the results I got there. The prices varied (with up to 6-week gaps between treatments, a course can take several months and I remember them having cheap post-Christmas specials) and it was a couple of years ago now, but I found them more effective and cheaper than anywhere else in Cork at the time (I also got patch tests done in a small clinic in the flat complex on the corner of South Terrace and also in that swish-looking glass-fronted place on Oliver Plunkett Street). BHBC were occasionally a bit haphazard about cancelling appointments when "the girl is off sick," but the price and privacy and effectiveness kept me coming back until satisfied. They also did evening appointments, which suited me at the time.

Check the GoldenPages for places that do laser or IPL hair removal (there are probably more places which do this in Cork now than there were even two years ago) and book yourself a few patch tests. They only take a few minutes, they ought to be free and you'll get a good idea of prices and professionalism. Within a fortnight, the patch tests should tell you which treatment will work best for you.

Good luck!

I got laser treatment done a few years ago in Advanced Laser Light on Ely Place off Baggot St. Worked brilliantly and changed my life, the whole (facial) hair removal thing was so stressful and really affected my confidence. 5 Years on it hasn't grown back. No more plucking or bleaching!

I made some enquiries and found that castleknock cosmetic clinic have all the different types of laser machines in the clinic. I had a consultation with the doctor who told me new treatment trends now address not just the colour and type of hair and skin but also the location of the hairs. Deeper hairs require deep penetrating lasers as much as lighter hairs require short wavelength lasers. They chose a long pulsed diode for my lip and chin. I had my treatments finished 6 months ago, after three treatments I am hair free. My friend is on her 8th treatment in her local beutician and she is still growing hairs. I thought I'll share this with you. I suppose like going to a carpeneter, if he only has one hammer, he'll use it for all his jobs. Ask you clinic how many different laser machines they have. the clinic's website www.castleknockcosmetics.ie

Hi Deanna,

Welcome to AAM.

Can you confirm if you have any association with the clinic mentioned?

I went to Therapie on Molesworth st and got treatment over a year.
After the 6mths with no success they then told me it actually works better with dark hair as I was more fair and so I had to spray this dye on for the next 6mths. Nothing worked and i finally got sense and stopped going!
Must look into those clinics!

I went to Therapie on Molesworth st and got treatment over a year.
After the 6mths with no success they then told me it actually works better with dark hair as I was more fair and so I had to spray this dye on for the next 6mths. Nothing worked and i finally got sense and stopped going!
Must look into those clinics!

My sister had the same experience as you. She had spent about €1,000.00 and saw no success. she asked for her money to be refunded but was refused by the salon. She went to the small claims court and the salon refunded her all the money she had paid before the court date. She claimed on the grounds that all the hair she wanted treated was very fair in colour and that the salon didn't tell her that the laser they used might not work on fair hair.

No way god I never even thought I could get them to refund. Unfortunately its probably about 2yrs since i was there but will keep it in mind for the future

My sister has been having laser hair removal in the Body Clinic in Wicklow Street and it's going really well. I'm not sure how many sessions she's had but it's going really well and she's only a few more sessions left.

M

Back