Laser Hair Removal.

Martina

Just wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts or suggestions about Laser Hair Removal. How many types are there? Which one works best? Do you have any idea how much they are or how often you need to get it done?
Better still . . . Any sucess/horror stories out there?
Getting really fed up spending a fortune on waxing so I'm looking for a more permanent soloution to keep my legs fuzz free! :D

I'm tempted to get laser hair removal too. In my local salon it costs around €100 - €120 per session with about 6 sessions needed but obviously that depends on how hairy you are. The person who I go to for waxing had it done on her underarms and she said it's brilliant and doesn't hurt at all. You need about one session per month and can shave in between sessions so you don't have to go around hairy!

I'm tempted to get laser hair removal too. In my local salon it costs around €100 - €120 per session with about 6 sessions needed but obviously that depends on how hairy you are. The person who I go to for waxing had it done on her underarms and she said it's brilliant and doesn't hurt at all. You need about one session per month and can shave in between sessions so you don't have to go around hairy!

Just was talking to my friend who has spent €1,000.00 on laserlite treatment and has seen no improvement. She has complained to the clinic she had the treatment in and they offered afew free treatments which she has had and still no joy. The manager has not being very helpfull and has told her she would sue her if she went public on this issue. Anyone out there with any stories re laser lite treatment.

i would like to get this thread going again, i have terrible trouble with hair on my face due to hormane imbalance caused by ill-health a few years ago, i tried electrolisis a few years ago, but it is slow and painful... i now pluck the hairs on my chin and it is getting worse now.. my husband reckons he cant see it, but i think it stand out a mile.... and it really is affecting my self confidence, does anyone have any experience here, or know anybody in a similar situation, or can someone please recommend somewhere in meath / dublin area please

Last edited:
Hi Dawnsurprise, sorry about your ill health, hope your ok.. but i'm with you...intrested as to wether it really works.. with me it's an age thing , I think.. mid 40's with fair hair, pre menopausal...(licenced to kill )but I heard that laser treatment works better with dark hair... every morning I look in the mirror and swear there's more hair....where is it all coming from? I think the old global warming has something to do with it.. I never heard my mother or grand mother complain about bikini lines or lip waxes.. I wish laser treatment was more afordable ..
best wishes
super mam

it costs around €100 - €120 per session with about 6 sessions needed

Are you sure its a permanent fix? One beauty salon told me they only do minimum of 12 sessions @ €100 and following that a maintenance program.

Saw them talking about this on The Dragon's Den one night. Whether it is any good or not is another thing.

[broken link removed]

Are you sure its a permanent fix? One beauty salon told me they only do minimum of 12 sessions @ €100 and following that a maintenance program.

It seemed permanent to me after about 4 sessions but then it all came back. I went for 5 more sessions and then gave up. Every couple of weeks there's a bit of hair that needs to be removed (shaving, not enough to wax) so it's not perfect but it's not bad either.

I know someone who had her bikini line done by the company that does the plastic surgery (can not remember their name) in Cork.
When she started the treatment they were advertising it as "Permenant Removal" and by the time she had all treatments they were advertising it as "Permenant Reduction".
It helped for a while but when treatments stopped she was back where she started.

The Channel 4 program "embarrassing illnesses" had a lady on this week who suffered from excess facial & body hair. She was treated with laser treatment and found it worked for her.

Here's what the channel 4 website says about laser treatment

Laser treatment – quicker and less painful than electrolysis, this works best on dark hair with pale skin, but not those with black skin. Complete and permanent removal of the hair is unlikely, however. Six months after the treatment, you would probably have about half the amount of hair you had originally.

Link to webpage

Laser treatment – quicker and less painful than electrolysis, this works best on dark hair with pale skin, but not those with black skin. Complete and permanent removal of the hair is unlikely, however. Six months after the treatment, you would probably have about half the amount of hair you had originally.
I think that they took that quote from the ad material for the company doing it.
It would be interesting to go back in 6 months to see what had happened.

I went for a number of treatments at a beauty salon over the winter, after 4 sessions I wasn't seeing any differences (believer me when you can't pluck or wax you get to know each hair by name!).
Talking with someone I know she had had 10 session at the same location without any success, and had been recommended to go to a practice that had nurses employed instead of beauticians, and after 3 treatments had seen a huge difference.
I went for consulation with this practice and did a 'test' (price of this consultation will come off treatments). After a few weeks I can definitely see some of my 'regulars' haven't yet reappeared.
I'm going to go back to this practice and finish treatments with them, however the recommendation is not to have this done in the summer as tanning (even fake) can make the treatments less efficient.
So my feedback is talk to people, you'll be surprised how many have tried it, and find out who the recommend. I'd personally not recommend using beauticians, but I could have just been unlucky.

On this topic... has anyone had good or bad experiences of laser hair removal with Therapie on Molesworth st. ?

thanks

S

spent E500 on it last year-dead loss!! - made absolutely NO difference-even waxing lasts longer-complete waste of money in my view.

Re: Laser Hair Removal

Going for Laser treatment:

Get out the Golden Pages and make a list of all the beauty salons and cosmetic clinics which offer laser hair removal. Ring each up and ask for a consultation and a patch test. Any reputable place will be happy to offer you a free consultation and a patch test.

The consultation is to establish what you want to achieve and whether it's likely you can achieve it. Laser hair removal works best on coarse, dark hair on pale skin - it's therefore suitable for facial hair, underarm hair, chest/nipple strays, bikini line or suchlike on dark-haired, fish-belly white Irishwomen, but not for removing light-coloured hair or for removing any hair at all from darker skins, so anyone who promises you anything different is not to be believed. For the patch test, you proffer a hairy bit of yourself and let them zap a square inch or so of it; you then wait ten days to a fortnight and see if the hair falls out. Get this done in a few clinics (noting which patch of skin was zapped by each clinic - it's easy to forget!) and make a decision based on:

1. The effectiveness of the treatment. Some clinics use outdated or ineffective machinery, so you may see no hair loss at all from some patches.

2. The clinic policy and procedures. Do they listen to what you want, do they promise unlikely results, do they try to sign you up to a specific number of treatments? This last one is unwise - an experienced practitioner will tell you upfront that s/he doesn't know exactly how many treatments it may take to finally remove the hairs. There's no need to commit yourself for a whole course - you could sign up for treatment in a Dublin clinic even if you're only in town a few times a year. You can also hop between clinics.

3. The price. This is unrelated, in my experience, to the quality of the treatment you get.

Laser V Electrolysis:

I wish I'd tried laser treatment before trying electrolysis, which I found mostly ineffective. Several sessions of electrolysis resulted only in dark hairs becoming lighter, but not finer, shorter or absent, while a single session of laser killed some doozies off forever. That was about two years ago and the culprits have never re-appeared.

Electrolysis hurts and if the current is too high, the treated hair pore gets inflamed and you get a spot for every hair treated. Laser hurts like bejaysus if it's in a sensitive area, e.g. upper lip, but only for a moment and the skin is not pierced, so your skin doesn't usually suffer in any visible way. Electrolysis also hurts per hair, as they are treated indiviually, whereas laser treats a patch about 2cm by 1cm at a time, so at least it doesn't hurt as often!

Polar,

thanks for the above. You mention above that it takes ten/days to a fortnight for hair to fall out. I had my first laser treatment last week and on one part the hair fell out immediately but on my chin it still hasn't fallen out, it's only been four days but I thought I would have seen something by now. Is ten days what you usually experienced?

thanks polar / miak - have a few questions on last
just wondering how much a session would cost
how long does a session last
how much area is lasered in one session
does the face have red marks that last a few days after a session?

also polar can you advise where you went for your laser treatment?
thanks

Back