Kia Cee'd, Hyundai i30 or Skoda Fabia Diesel

If you look at tyres designed for fuel economy, they tend to be narrow with less grip, and a harder compound so less sticky. I would have assumed the bigger diameter the better.

are eco tyres noisier?

Mad_Lad said:
Diesel is more expensive atm flanders, that's why the biggest savings are buying 2nd hand. There are good second hand cars dropping in price out there. And you can get a much better car 2nd hand than new

I meant the price of diesel at the pump, not the price of a diesel car. Also agree, never buy new car, I only recently got rid of a 99 Mazda 323 which I never had a days trouble with......

I meant the price of diesel at the pump, not the price of a diesel car. Also agree, never buy new car, I only recently got rid of a 99 Mazda 323 which I never had a days trouble with......

lol I know what you meant. I meant to include that you get more miles per gallon from a tank of diesel.

lol I know what you meant. I meant to include that you get more miles per gallon from a tank of diesel.

Oh right! I agree, but in fairness you'd want to considering both the cost of the car and the delta in petrol v diesel costs, do you get enough extra mileage on your tank of diesel to offset these costs.....

Oh right! I agree, but in fairness you'd want to considering both the cost of the car and the delta in petrol v diesel costs, do you get enough extra mileage on your tank of diesel to offset these costs.....

Hmmm not sure I could agree totally. With the new vrt change, It makes more sense to buy diesel. If I only drove 12-15k miles a year I would have a more refined petrol for sure. Say a VW1.4 170hp dsg. Or 1.8 or 2.0tfsi dsg. I wouldn't be worried about consumption. But for anyone driving more I think it's worth it to have a desel. Of course a more fuel efficient diesel like a polo bluemotion that you cant get in Ireland of course, would be money well spent. Now I know it's only a polo but you could get over 80mpg on the extra urban run. Ideal for long distance driving. I have never driven one so I have no idea what they are like. They are a three cylinder. No idea what they are like. The extra road tax and vrt on petrol dosen't seem worth it any more. Ok if you drive a 1.0 petrol that might be different but I could never imagine driving a 1.0 petrol car. Still I wonder why the government didn't get rid of road tax and vrt and put the cost on fuel. I mean someone that drives 30+ miles a year in a 1.6 turbo diesel will polute more than someone driving a 2.0 turbo petrol 12k miles a year. And don't forget the NOx emissions from diesel, It's not only co2 for global warming. Petrol and diesel emit cancer particles in particular diesel. And not to sound like a broken record, buying a really good second hand diesel for a sensible amount of money makes so much more sense if you are doing a lot of mileage. I especially love the torque of a turbo diesel.

Hi Folks,

My wife and I currently own a 3.0L petrol Toyota Harrier (25MPG) and a 2.0 Lexus IS200 (30MPG). We are trading both in July for a Kia c'eed SW 1.6 CRDI Deisel (65MPG) and New Mazda2 1.5 Petrol Sport SE (47MPG) respectively.

The ceed was a finalist for european car of the year 2008, the new mazda2 is world car of the year 2008. New Ceed SW 1.6CRDI will cost roughly €23,000 in July, The mazda2 1.5 sport SE is roughly €19000 to buy in July. Both are nicely specced.

Both new cars will be €150 per annum to tax , The Toyota harrier is about €1250 per annum to tax and the lexus IS200 is €590 per annum to tax.

My insurance goes from €520 per annum to €275 and my wifes insurance goes from €600 per annum to €275.

Also we estimate we will save about €50 to €70 per WEEK in fuel costs.

Should go some way towards offsetting the depreciation of the new cars. (Also our current vehicles are depreciating as well, maybe not at the rate of a new car but still depreciating!)

Kia are also offering a 0% finance deal between July and the end of august if you stump up half the cost of the Kia ceed now (roughly €11500). You pay the balance interest free then in January 2010.
That should save about €2000 on a car loan

Tesco seem to be the best bet for personal car loans (Dont like hire purchase agreements..I like to have equity at all times!). Tesco rate on car loans is 6.9%, so will use them to partly finance the new Mazda2.

I will let ye know how we get on performance wise.

Cheers

Shammy

re: shammy feen

How much do you want for the Lexus ;)

Maybe its just a mental block but I couldnt see myself buying a Kia, even if it was ecomonically viable versus my existing Corolla, I realise that is a stupid mentality but.....

it will be interesting to see what you can get out of the ceed. I can get 55mpg no problem from my 130hp tdi automatic audi A4. I would love a spin in a 1.6 diesel to see what I get.

re: shammy feen

How much do you want for the Lexus ;)

Maybe its just a mental block but I couldnt see myself buying a Kia, even if it was ecomonically viable versus my existing Corolla, I realise that is a stupid mentality but.....

Wow the badge snob is alive and kicking!!!

And your experience is superior to mine?!

Oh here we go! I said I think that statement is untrue. I'm judging it on owning 15 cars in the past and from knowing several people in the industry. Only 2 weeks ago I was out with a friend who was changing a 07 Civic for a 08 Civic. E5000 drop for a Japanese car isn't "the only way to go." That was just the first dealer of the day. Shall I continue???

Oh here we go! I said I think that statement is untrue. I'm judging it on owning 15 cars in the past and from knowing several people in the industry. Only 2 weeks ago I was out with a friend who was changing a 07 Civic for a 08 Civic. E5000 drop for a Japanese car isn't "the only way to go." That was just the first dealer of the day. Shall I continue???

Apologies, I just reread my original post, realised I said resale value where as I thought you were on about reliability....

RE your friend: In my opinion new cars are not worth it, you should have told them to trade back to a '04 or something similar, would have saved them the €5K ;)

Hi, Would you consider the new 4door saloon Opel Astra , 3 styles, roomy ,large boot and choice of engines including low emissions 1.3 and1.7 diesel available from July. I think it might be worth a look at. Try Joe Duffy off m50. I went there to have a look and was not run out of the place like I was in Liffy Valley .. I think the sales were in a bad mood for some reason or other in Liffy Valley :rolleyes:

Back