Kia Cee'd, Hyundai i30 or Skoda Fabia Diesel

I recently bought the 1.6 diesel Kia Pro-ceed. I have absolutely no complaints (touch wood!) I couldn't give a damn about it's resale as I have no plans on selling it. I have owned a 1.6 petrol Mazda 3 in the past and to be honest there is no comparison. Mazda has the name but in my opinion the Kia is a much nicer drive.

Yoltan,

Thanks a mill for your response! The pro cee'd is a very good looking car, how are you finding a three door? I have always had a 5 door and not sure about 3 door?

B

I recently bought the 1.6 diesel Kia Pro-ceed. I have absolutely no complaints (touch wood!) I couldn't give a damn about it's resale as I have no plans on selling it. I have owned a 1.6 petrol Mazda 3 in the past and to be honest there is no comparison. Mazda has the name but in my opinion the Kia is a much nicer drive.
If I was buying a used car I would sway for one which still had a manufacturers warranty still on it anyway so I don`t see any negative resale issues!

I bought a Mazda3 in 04 - lovely car to drive but the spec wasn't available in diesel, so switched to an 07 Ceed 1.6 and I do love it rather a lot. I do some serious mileage to/from work and it's a joy to drive - 1,000km on a tank of fuel and it is very comfortable. Boot space is pretty huge and I would buy another one

dont forget the yaris d4d engin,its road tax will be 100 euro ,only 119 co2 emissions.

Yoltan,

Thanks a mill for your response! The pro cee'd is a very good looking car, how are you finding a three door? I have always had a 5 door and not sure about 3 door?

B

B,

I absolutely love it. No bother with the 3 door as I have no children and most of the time it's just me driving it to work. Although my oh has taken a shine to it!:) If you're interested I'd recommend taking a test drive to see what you think. I drove it and loved it but drove the new Mazda 3 because I really liked the one I had before. In fairness it was the 1.6 petrol Mazda as opposed to the 1.6 turbo diesel Kia. No comparison. I felt like I wanted to get out and push the Mazda!

If I was buying a used car I would sway for one which still had a manufacturers warranty still on it anyway so I don`t see any negative resale issues!

I agree. Some people have said "the resale will be s***e on that car blah blah" I couldn't car less. I didn't buy a diesel car with a 7 year warranty to worry about depreciation.

Cheers zoltan,

Will take a test drive and see what I think. I will be going from petrol to diesel aswell and have a bit of a driving commute to work too so its sounds good to me! Have decided to ignore the whole resale thing as previous poster suggests, lifes too short to worry bout it! Question, what is the fuel effeciency like in the pro ceed, the 5 door looks good from previous post!

Test drive next week so will update!

B

Cheers zoltan,

Question, what is the fuel effeciency like in the pro ceed, the 5 door looks good from previous post!

Test drive next week so will update!

B

Don't think I'd be getting quite 1000km to a full tank. Haven't actually monitored it yet though. Too busy enjoying the drive!:)

There's actually 2 specs. I went out to look at the 1.4 LX petrol model but he only had the 1.6 diesel EX so I drove that. I was so glad I did beacause that was the one I ended up going for (couldn't afford it but what the hell.....).

The EX has the privacy glass, half leather seats, sports pedals, 17" alloys etc. (not as boy racer-ish as it looks on paper). I went to several Kia dealers and the best deal I got was Portlaoise Kia. At the time there were very few of them about but he got me one in quickly enough.

Let me know how it goes and best of luck with whichever car you choose.

I would buy the I30. or Wait for the new 1.6 120hp diesel Fiat Bravo. Better build quality IMO than an I30. Bravo best looking car on the road. And fiats are much better these days. i30, Ceed, or bravo wont hold their value as well as a boring Golf. Or wait until the new golf comes out next year. Or buy a second hand Audi A4 130ps Tdi. Very good build quality. And for less than a new I30 or ceed or bravo. Test drive one, You will love it. Look out for a good spec one. Perfect service record essential as they don't like to be neglected. Maybe not as economical as a 1.6 Turbo diesel. But will be cheaper and so will make up the difference. My automatic A4 tdi will do 55mpg no prob after about 15 miles driving at around 50-60mph. 75mph still a good 50-53mpg. since I switched to continental premium contact 2 tyres and pumped to 35psi. they are 195 65 r 15. The 16" I found were harder on fuel and the ride was too hard. You do get a excellent car though.

@Mad_Lad - OT, but anyway with apologies, what tyre size and pressures on the 16's?

HI mathepac. Can't remember the size as they are now on my brothers A4 lol. I'll try find out though. I think I had them at 33psi. Not sure what made the difference. maybe it was the tyre size, Make. I don't drive hard anyway. Only when I'm trying to get out of a bad junction from a bad road to main road. then I give her the wellie.

I just looked at the 16" that are now on my brothers car. They are 205 55 r 16 pumped to 33psi. Since I swapped them he noticed a good drop in consumption. They are Continental sport contact 2's. So if it's to do with the different tyre size different rubber or both I have no idea. I wonder if I swapped to eco tyres?

If you look at tyres designed for fuel economy, they tend to be narrow with less grip, and a harder compound so less sticky. I would have assumed the bigger diameter the better.

Bought a 1.6 diesel 90bhp i30 3 weeks ago, previous vehicle was toyota yaris. Very impressed with the quality of the i30, loads of room but I don't feel like I'm driving a massive car. Very impressed. Hyundai have come a long way in the last 5-10 years. Can't comment on the other cars mentioned as I didn't try them.

As far as I know, the woman on the Kia advert on the radio is Dawn Bradfield who used to be in the clinic.

As regards the cars, wouldnt touch either of 3 mentioned. As OP mentions resale value, Japanese is the only way to go.

"Good looking" is a very personal thing and I dont think its that relevant, how often do you look at a car and think "Wow thats a really good looking car, I must tell that person they made a great choice!"....the only car that ever stood out to me as being awful looking is the Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Also with the price of diesel vs petrol these days I wouldnt be rushing out to buy a diesel.....

I think the Audi R8 is the best looking car on the road atm. Or the Bravo if you can't afford an R8 lol. Diesel is more expensive atm flanders, that's why the biggest savings are buying 2nd hand. There are good second hand cars dropping in price out there. And you can get a much better car 2nd hand than new.

Back