Key Post Key Post: Blinds.

S

sueellen

Hi,

I wonder would anyone be able to help me out with an approximate quote on the cost of fitting roller blinds throughout a new house.
I have just received a quote from a company of over 900 euros, and was really banking on it not being quite so much.....

any help/recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: roller blinds

NHO,
Where are you based?

hi

I used crumlin blinds, even though they have a northside office.

I paid about 900 but that covered blinds for 12 windows and two patio doors.

I went for a cheapo option! Admittedly, they do not roll up and down as smoothly as some others, but I have them 3 year now and they are fine!

Re: hi

Our 'Crumlin Blinds' blinds are working beautifully after nearly 10 years.

which reminds me of the one about the nun & the blind man...

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Seems like 900 is probably not too bad?

I am based in co kildare, so if anyone knows of any in that general area???

blinds

NewHomeOwner, depending on what part of Kildare you are living, you could try Blessington Blinds in... you guessed it!!

They did our house about two years ago and were very good and thorough.

€900 also seems about right...

Re: blinds

NHO,
If you have a copy of the Kildare Times look in the ad's for a crowd called Valu(e)Blinds. Very nice chap runs the outfit pretty much out of the back of his car (i.e. low overheads). After doing our place down in Sallins about 4 years ago we gave his name to loads of people. All extremely satisfied. We then got him back earlier this year when we moved again. My brother got wood-slat blinds throughout for €800 (3-bed semi, about 8 windows of varying sizes). We got typical linen roller blinds throughout (except wood-slat in the kitchen) for €750 (4-bed semi 8 windows). What made us go with him in the first place is we compared with another blind co. and their cheapest material (nearly see through) was the same price as VB's best quality.

If you don't have a copy of the Kildare Times, let me know and I'll get the number for you. He should be able to do the job for you.

Let me know if you (or anyone) needs that number ...

Re: Kildare Times

Hi FDM

Thanks for the info. I dont have a copy of the Kildare Times, so if you could post the number it would be great.

Sounds like a very good deal!

Re: Kildare Times

Here y'are: 087 2476386 or 1850 49 00 99.

When he calls around to quote, tell him 'the lady (my wife) with the severed finger sent you'.

It's a long story but he'll know who you're talking about :)

cheers

Thanking you kindly!

hmmm, curious now anyway........severed fingers????

roller blinds

Gerry,

If you are in the Dublin area I personally would recommend Curtain Services on Sundrive Rd. I have also heard that Crumlin Blinds are very good and reasonable.

I would point out that if you are fitting the blinds to PVC windows you need to have your wits about you because if you drill in the wrong spot there's no going back! If at all possible its best to fit the blind to the window surround rather than the window frame.

When I looked at roller blinds/wooden blinds I felt the 'Aluwood' were the best option. The wooden blinds are inclined to block the light too much and while they are very nice they are also very expensive. The Aluwood give the effect of wood but are in fact metal and are therefore very serviceable. Roller blinds also fade with the sun and have the disadvantage of giving too much visibility into the house if you are out during the day.

Hope the above is of some help. :)

roller blinds

what are the chances of someone having a recommendation for Balbriggan/Drogheda area???

Some other posts

ajapale
Frequent poster
Wood Slat Venetian Blinds

Has anyone any tips,advice or opinions for buying "Wood Slat Venetian Blinds"?

Which is better:
A) the 1inch or 2inch variants?
B) cord tilt or a wand tilt?
C) cord or tape running through the slats?

Where are the best deals to be had?

All comments and opinions very much appreciated.

ajapale

sueellen

There were some other posts a long time back regarding blinds and a few people appear to have used Father Dougal's recommendation and were happy.

anon2398
Unregistered User
Re: Wood Slat Venetian Blinds

Hi there. Wooden venetian blinds in my opinion are the best window dressing you can get. I had them in my last house and loved the light they did/didn't let in. However be aware that they are next to impossible to clean. The ones I had had 3 downward strings supports (sorry don't know the right name), which meant each single blind had 4 sections. When you are cleaining these, even with the special blind tool, it's such a pain that you won't do it again. So much so that I've decided against them for my new house.

But if you are better at cleaning than me (wouldn't be hard) they really look great.

Tiger
size

1 or 2 inch depends on the size of your windows as to which will look best. Shop should be able to advise (they cost pretty much the same if I remember).

temptedd
Re: size

I prefer the wand tilt (if thats the one that looks like a wooden dowel and you twist it to adjust the blinds) as its more robust and easier to regulate than the cord.

unregistered
Unregistered User

Would agree with anon that they are impossible to clean. You can dust them, damp dust them, vacuum them but within hours they look dusty again. Also, if you have them over a kitchen sink and have to climb up on the worktop/draining board to clean them....forget it!! They look great but only get them if you don't mind hard work!

fatherdougalmaguire
Frequent poster
Re: Wood Slat Venetian Blinds

My friend in Valu Blinds that I recommended was in the area at the weekend and came in to express his gratitude for putting his contact details here. By all accounts, business is booming for him. He's taken on some more people and is widening his area. Pretty much available in Galway (where the blinds are made) and then in Dublin, north Wicklow, Kildare, Carlow. He's also interested in Meath but if anyone's looking for blinds at least give him a ring. He still operates out of his van after resisting the idea of renting an actual warehouse so he keeps his costs right down. He did my little brother's house entirely in wood-slat and it came to about €800. That was about 1.5 years ago.

Susan
Unregistered User
Where can I get a good deal on roller blinds???

There are so many companies to choose from. My friends got theirs from what looked like a well established company but had a few problems and they were weeks waiting on a rep to come out to sort the problem.
Thanks

Jay
Unregistered User
TM are....

very good but only sell to trade if you know somebody there. Their cloths are excellent. Not too cheap but you get what you pay for as the saying goes........

Martin
Unregistered User
We got ours from Arnotts

they are expensive. Not much difference between mine and my daughters. My daughter got hers from a company which left their leaflet through her door. Great service and was reasonably priced. Will try and find the name

Josh
Unregistered User
Blinds

The prices you get quoted for the same job is crazy.

So shop around!! - It's the only way to ensure your getting a good deal.

lady
Unregistered User
roller blinds

go to richard kelly curtains in bray - fab and v reasonable

gerry
kelly

yes I have dealt with Richard also - very nice fellow. Half way up the main street on left side from Dublin, corner shop if I remember correctly. Does nice curtains.

Susan
Unregistered User
Im living in North Dublin.

I called a few companies Saturday but they are too busy to send someone out this week. Bray is too far to travel. Thanks for your replies.
Appreciated

Joe
Unregistered User
You could try Design Interiors..

We live in Swords and had them do ours. Excellent service. Guy was out in 2days and had them ready the following week. We also got our curtain poles from them as im not great in the DIY department. Their number is 8574870/085 733 0200

John
Unregistered User
Blinds

Try Westside Blinds in Lucan - 6213039 / 087-2695739

Best price I managed to find & no complaints. (living in Swords)

Lemonhead
Unregistered User
Blinds

The cheapest is Advanced Blind Systems. Phone number in Yellow Pages. None cheaper and great quality.

Stevo
Unregistered User
As d old saying goes......

"You get what you pay for".... We got Blinds on the cheap before and they only lasted a year, due to condensation. Make sure Blinds have a good condensation guard or your just throwing your money away after a long wet winter!!!

Marie
Unregistered User
Thanks Joe..

I had a guy out yesterday form Design Interiors. Very competitive as we had been over priced on Wood Venetians last week. They also do the chrome curtain poles I had in mind. Thanks again!!!

Kildare Blinds

Hi, I four blinds (3 at front and one at back) in Kilcock blinds for 376. They are really good quality and were done within a week.

They were over 100 cheaper than blind shop in leixlip.

Some other posts

ag
Curtains V Blinds

Thinking about getting wooden blinds for our new house but was wondering do they keep the light out completely ?
We have small children so I like the bedrooms to be in darkness so you are not woken up at 5am on a summer morning.
Or is the only way to have the blackout linings on curtains ?

Any help appreciated
Thanks

decbuck
Frequent poster
Re: Curtains V Blinds

you can get "blackout blinds" but as the person in the shop will tell you, you only need them if you have unlined curtains.

ajapale
Very frequent poster
Re: Curtains V Blinds

Hi ag,

Blackout blinds are your only man in my opinion. The wood slat blinds look well but a certain amount of light gets through the cracks.

We have lined curtains but the sunlight gets through at the top, sides and the divide.

We have good quality blackout blinds and they work very well.

ajapale

zx1000
re blackout blinds

Due the the black out blinds look any different to the timber ones? or is it just an extra feature

Monkey0804
Re: re blackout blinds

Black out blinds are completely different to wooden blinds. Black out blinds are roller blinds made from black out material. Wooden are slated wooden blinds and while imho they look the best don't keep the light out at all.

We've decided to go blackout roller blinds, and then light voile/muslins tab top curtains over them. But we are combining blackout roller blinds with curtains lined with blackout lining for kids rooms - we've found that you neeed the combination to keep it dark and keep them asleep!

Blinds - options

Need to get blinds for my new 4 Bed semi:
- 7 Windows
- 2 Bay windows
- 2 doors
- 1 patio door

Not quite sure what the best option is:
- roller blinds
- vertical blinds
- wooden venitian blinds

Any idea which is the best option and the cost differentials?

Re: >>Blinds.

I am waiting for my venetian blinds to be delivered from Poland. Just 280 E for the whole house including delivery.Their web site is "clickforblinds.com".Cool stuff !

Back