KBC KBC - infamous flyer timeline

Hi Covid20,

I can only speak for my case. I got confirmation 2 weeks ago that the Ombudsman had received my complaint and a dispute resolution officer will be in contact to clarify my complaint. P. Kissane is looking after my case, so his office forwards any relevant information on to me.

Hi All
New to the forum, I have been with KBC formally IIB since 2001, fixed rate for the first year then offered fixed or variable rate fixed for another three years and on quite a high variable rate ever since.
Bought an investment property with them in 2005 again fixed for a year then onto variable and again a high rate. List the investment property as we just couldn't afford it and under huge stress lost a lot of money on the sale.
Never offered a tracker.
Enquired from KBC if I should be part of the examination and was told no.
Made a complaint and again told no
Then when the tracker issue became live again I agaun asked again told no.
I had requested in a phone call the tracker rate way back in 2005 and was told it was not available.
When I asked for the recorded call I was told I never made the call so asked for transcripts and all letters etc to be sent out to me.
They still deny it and I am still not deemed by them as part of the tracker mortgage issue.
I read a case in the Irish Times similar to mine 2002 with BOI and they have just received compensation.
Where do I go with this?
Any suggestions, I have made another complaint to KBC today.
They wear you down, that seems to be the strategy.

Hi All
New to the forum, I have been with KBC formally IIB since 2001, fixed rate for the first year then offered fixed or variable rate fixed for another three years and on quite a high variable rate ever since.
Bought an investment property with them in 2005 again fixed for a year then onto variable and again a high rate. List the investment property as we just couldn't afford it and under huge stress lost a lot of money on the sale.
Never offered a tracker.
Enquired from KBC if I should be part of the examination and was told no.
Made a complaint and again told no
Then when the tracker issue became live again I agaun asked again told no.
I had requested in a phone call the tracker rate way back in 2005 and was told it was not available.
When I asked for the recorded call I was told I never made the call so asked for transcripts and all letters etc to be sent out to me.
They still deny it and I am still not deemed by them as part of the tracker mortgage issue.
I read a case in the Irish Times similar to mine 2002 with BOI and they have just received compensation.
Where do I go with this?
Any suggestions, I have made another complaint to KBC today.
They wear you down, that seems to be the strategy.
I would suggest you get in contact with someone like P. Kissane and get him to review your case to see if have one. He his the expert in this field. Does it state in your contract that you had the option of moving to a tracker after your fixed term was up?. Also does your contract state anything about a tracker rate?

It would appear to me from the Forum that there any contributors here who are at different stages in the process but there appears to be also quite a bit of confusion as to where the whole process is going in terms outcome, timeline etc. given that the tracker issues with the other Banks appear to be nearing completion. I wonder could someone throw light on this so that everyone can get an update here. Many thanks.

It would appear to me from the Forum that there any contributors here who are at different stages in the process but there appears to be also quite a bit of confusion as to where the whole process is going in terms outcome, timeline etc. given that the tracker issues with the other Banks appear to be nearing completion. I wonder could someone throw light on this so that everyone can get an update here. Many thanks.

In terms of timeline and outcome I appealed to BDO in November 2018 in respect of a mortgage on an investment property. KBC had overcharged us by €78,000 and the compensation for this and the years of stress was inadequate in my opinion. A lot of correspondence with the Appeals Panel ensued. Finally in May 2020 the Appeals Panel issued a decision - they believed KBC's assertion that the flyer limited the tracker mortgages to private dwellings only (it really doesn't) and they rejected our Appeal and found that "the compensation already paid was not properly due". im not sure whether there have been any other similar outcomes.

In terms of timeline and outcome I appealed to BDO in November 2018 in respect of a mortgage on an investment property. KBC had overcharged us by €78,000 and the compensation for this and the years of stress was inadequate in my opinion. A lot of correspondence with the Appeals Panel ensued. Finally in May 2020 the Appeals Panel issued a decision - they believed KBC's assertion that the flyer limited the tracker mortgages to private dwellings only (it really doesn't) and they rejected our Appeal and found that "the compensation already paid was not properly due". im not sure whether there have been any other similar outcomes.

Thanks for that Moon Under Water

Just still confused where all these KBC cases are at in light of these Ombudsman rulings announced today, have the KBC cases been dealt with atall?

Has anyone heard any news good, bad or indifferent on KBC, flyer and fixed issue? Or are there still complaints on ombudsman's desk to be looked at?

I wonder if anybody knows if kbc decisions will be published by the ombudsman this year, it seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time

Hi just quick question triggered by another thread. Has anyone got a letter from KBC between nov 06 and July 08 providing rate options when coming off a fixed rate, that included a tracker option to select as well as variable and other fixed rate options ? This is aimed at cohorts whose fixed rates expired during the flyer dates but had drawn down the mortgage before the flyer dates .
I have

Wow MaryLou . That would be incredible to know. It wud show bank taking different treatment and advising some customers of tracker options and most of the rest of us not. For GDPR I with not ask you to share but at high level Could you advise date of your drawdown and date coming off fixed and r
That the letter advises tracker as an option .

Hi What does today's KBC announcement mean for the Cohort that fixed and were subsequently put back onto standard variable without the option of tracker, all these announcements completely confuse me.

Hi just quick question triggered by another thread. Has anyone got a letter from KBC between nov 06 and July 08 providing rate options when coming off a fixed rate, that included a tracker option to select as well as variable and other fixed rate options ? This is aimed at cohorts whose fixed rates expired during the flyer dates but had drawn down the mortgage before the flyer dates .
IMG-5666.JPG

I was offered no options when my 3 years fixed rate finished, I often wondered if I should have been given options.

I was not offered rate options either when my fixed rate expired, am I right in saying that a Bank must offer rate options in these circumstances. Can someone please update on this.

I think the question is did you come off your fixed rates between the flyer dates (November 06 - July08) I did in January 07. The bank sent me options at the time outlining different fixed rate options to choose but nothing about tracker option. But their flyer said all loans falling off fixed rates would now roll on to tracker rates but mine didn’t and I wasn’t given the option. That is one of the arguements to make irrespective of whether there is a contractual right to have a tracker. We are taking about code of conduct , transparency and doing right with customer at centre (central bank terms of reference for the whole tracker review if I recall). The expectation is that this flyer is a public statement of policy and the FSPO should treat it as such. This bank’s attitude has been well documented via recent fines commentary.

Does anyone know where this investigation is at, I am aware that cases in this Cohort are with the Ombudsman but what is the delay, why is it taking so long. Can anyone throw some 'light' on this please.

Back