KBC KBC - infamous flyer timeline

I have just discovered that I actually signed my Letter of Offer for the fixed rate in December '06 and drew the mortgage down in December '06. Based on what I am hearing , my case is a strong one as I am within the timeframe . Just wondering if anyone has any comments on this, I think my case is strong.

I have just discovered that I actually signed my Letter of Offer for the fixed rate in December '06 and drew the mortgage down in December '06. Based on what I am hearing , my case is a strong one as I am within the timeframe . Just wondering if anyone has any comments on this, I think my case is strong.
Hi @Calamity. Just curious as to why you were not included within the circa 450 customers they redressed initially as you seem to fall within the flyer dates? Do you know if your letter of offer was issued prior to 06th Nov?

Hi @Calamity. Just curious as to why you were not included within the circa 450 customers they redressed initially as you seem to fall within the flyer dates? Do you know if your letter of offer was issued prior to 06th Nov?
I am confused as well as I started the application process in October 2006, there were a few queries in my case but eventually I got the letter of offer in early December and drew down just before christmas. They are saying I started the application process before the flyer date.

The Flyer offer started in Nov 06 the month after you started your application. Did KBC communicate at the point of your application or there after offer the option that were on the Flyer?

The Flyer offer started in Nov 06 the month after you started your application. Did KBC communicate at the point of your application or there after offer the option that were on the Flyer?
Hi Jazzer, my letter of offer was early December 2006, well after the flyer date and I did not get the option that was on the flyer. I drew my mortgage in December.

KBC is standing firm on cases where the applications and drawdown dates are a few weeks either side of the Flyer being published in Nov 06 and retracted in March 08 .
I presume they are suggesting in your case that you never knew the offers of the Flyer when you began your application thus the flyer argument is a non runner for you?
Have you had anyone qualified to look over your case?

KBC is standing firm on cases where the applications and drawdown dates are a few weeks either side of the Flyer being published in Nov 06 and retracted in March 08 .
I presume they are suggesting in your case that you never knew the offers of the Flyer when you began your application thus the flyer argument is a non runner for you?
Have you had anyone qualified to look over your case?
I have a qualified individual (Solicitor) looking at it for me but surely in a case like this, between Banker and Customer it must be the signed letter of offer that binds the final agreement/ contract and nothing else .

After drawing down my mortgage in March 08. Kbc sent out a booklet with the terms and conditions of the mortgage. Did you receive one of them? In the booklet(I think I put some screen shots up of it earlier in the thread) it explains all the terms of your mortgage( rate options, what a fixed mortgage rate is, what a variable rate is etc.It also states in my booklet,what a tracker mortgage is.

@Calamity. @Jazzer1. I have posed a similar question on this too. I cannot see that there was provision for the flyer conditions made in any letter of offers issued even those offered after the specified dates. Those customers that were redressed have the same terms and conditions as those of us outside those dates, even though we drew down in a similar time frame.
My drawdown date was December 06, but as my application started in Oct I too am deemed not impacted.
I am still of the strong belief that KBC intended for all customers to roll onto tracker rates, hence all contracts contained the same wording. However getting KBC to agree that view is proving somewhat difficult.

Hi Jazzer, my letter of offer was early December 2006, well after the flyer date and I did not get the option that was on the flyer. I drew my mortgage in December.
This is interesting too.. KBC argue in my case that as my letter of offer was issued before the flyer I am not impacted. However your Letter of offer was issued after the flyer yet you too are not impacted. It seems they are only working to applications after the flyer date .

This is interesting too.. KBC argue in my case that as my letter of offer was issued before the flyer I am not impacted. However your Letter of offer was issued after the flyer yet you too are not impacted. It seems they are only working to applications after the flyer date .
When you think about this, it really is a load of nonsense, I make the following analogy:-

Imagine you are an applicant for a job with a large IT company who are going on a recruitment drive and after you apply for a job with a base salary of say E50K , the company make a big announcement / communication that all new employees will be entitled to a min. annual bonus of 20% of their salary, (ie. e10k) after 3 years. This news would certainly influence your decision in going to work with the company. You subsequently get your job offer and employment contract which you sign in good faith. Imagine how you would feel after 3 years when you are told that you are not entitled to the bonus as the offer of the bonus only applies to those who applied for the job after the big announcement / communication.

IMO this is complete rubbish.

Imagine you are an applicant for a job with a large IT company who are going on a recruitment drive and after you apply for a job with a base salary of say E50K , the company make a big announcement / communication that all new employees will be entitled to a min. annual bonus of 20% of their salary, (ie. e10k) after 3 years. This news would certainly influence your decision in going to work with the company. You subsequently get your job offer and employment contract which you sign in good faith. Imagine how you would feel after 3 years when you are told that you are not entitled to the bonus as the offer of the bonus only applies to those who applied for the job after the big announcement / communication.

It's actually an excellent analogy but not for the reason you think. It's not exactly unprecedented for companies, especially in boom times, to make lavish promises to present and prospective staff about the prospect of future salaries, bonuses, improvements to working conditions etc only to withdraw these when times get tough.

Such promises aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Last edited:
However when an institution makes a fundamental promise about something as fundamental as your mortgage and it attracts you to go with them and later withdraws the promise, I think it is a bigger issue

However when an institution makes a fundamental promise about something as fundamental as your mortgage and it attracts you to go with them and later withdraws the promise, I think it is a bigger issue
Not really. Plenty of people up sticks and move themselves and their families long distances to move jobs on foot of big promises only for the initially bright prospects to dim considerably, with no comeback.

Not really. Plenty of people up sticks and move themselves and their families long distances to move jobs on foot of big promises only for the initially bright prospects to dim considerably, with no comeback.
With due respect, nobody on this forum should trivialise the problems that this matter has caused to individual families..this is a serious matter.

With due respect, nobody on this forum should trivialise the problems that this matter has caused to individual families..this is a serious matter.
How exactly have I trivialised anything? If you consider my comment to be inappropriate, feel free to use the report button but don't be bothering me about it simply because you don't like what I've said.

@Calamity. @Jazzer1. I have posed a similar question on this too. I cannot see that there was provision for the flyer conditions made in any letter of offers issued even those offered after the specified dates. Those customers that were redressed have the same terms and conditions as those of us outside those dates, even though we drew down in a similar time frame.
My drawdown date was December 06, but as my application started in Oct I too am deemed not impacted.
I am still of the strong belief that KBC intended for all customers to roll onto tracker rates, hence all contracts contained the same wording. However getting KBC to agree that view is proving somewhat difficult.
KBC are trying to limit the damage as much as possible and will use everything they can to get out of paying. As far as I'm aware for you to be considered in the Flyer argument you had to have gone through a broker for your mortgage (i could be wrong on that point). The Flyer was issued to them in nov 06. If your application started a few weeks before that, then the broker would've communicated this offer to their clients at some point during the mortgage procedure which takes 6 to 8 weeks.

KBC are trying to limit the damage as much as possible and will use everything they can to get out of paying. As far as I'm aware for you to be considered in the Flyer argument you had to have gone through a broker for your mortgage (i could be wrong on that point). The Flyer was issued to them in nov 06. If your application started a few weeks before that, then the broker would've communicated this offer to their clients at some point during the mortgage procedure which takes 6 to 8 weeks.
Yes, I was fully aware of the 'Flyer' offer when I signed my letter of offer and what I cannot understand is that there is a friend of my partner who applied for an IIB Home Loan before me and also drew down mortgage in Dec'06 and she has already been reimbursed and got the tracker reinstated. Going back to my analogy of the employer , it looks like the employer 'is paying bonuses to some and not to others even though they were recruited at the same time'.. This is really frustrating.

Back