Is the cost of electricity still that high??

So I contacted energia for a quote (variable SME wholesale) and the sent on the variable prices BUT the early termination fee on 12m contract is €1,800 for DG5 (i.e. non domestic, low voltage)

So watch out, its a pretty outrageous break fee on a variable price contract
You can break out and take another energia plan without penalty.

I double checked that too and got it sent by email to be 100% certain.

I have just received my current bill from Energia and am horrified that its E420.68, my standing charge is E44.25 and my unit cost is 0.4444 per unit. I must have had the dryer on more than i thought for July, will need to seriously look at reducing consumption over the coming months. Any tips anyone.
hardly any reason to be using a dryer in July...even this July. Laziness comes to mind.

Shock horror! What goes up must come down eh? Oh no wait….
no, not when you are consuming a finite resource.....more consumption, price goes up.

Why should it come down, and does the world owe you something. In comparison to most countries, with the living standards of ireland , the % of your income spent on heating/fuel/travel is very low.

I mean, is it a statement claiming wonderful upcoming savings and an eventual reduction in energy costs;

Whilst in actual fact it won't really provide much savings at all?

Or there's some hidden clause that makes it look good on paper, but won't reduce the bill too much?

Kind of like AIB's wonderful 2% interest rate on deposit accounts........... that's resets to 1000 euro after 12 months, totally bogus.
please , stay rational....if you wish, you can disconnect from all suppliers, and bingo, you are free and have no bills

What is unusual about Bord Gais is that they seem to be offering significantly higher discounts to some existing customers to renew e.g. 33% or 38% that they are not offering to new customers.
My Electric plan with Bord Gais expires on the 10th November coming.

I got an email today stating that I will go on to their Standard Rate on expiry but I can avail of their 15% discount on renewal. See below

Offer still seems very high at just over 40c per Kwh and hefty annual charge. Unfortunately to add to the confusion they are due to drop their rates from the 9th November. So I have no idea if I am being prompted to commit immediately to this rate being offered NOW, and fixing in at this rate or whether this will change from the 9th November and if I will avail of the lower rate.

Discounts explained​

Urban 24 hour rate48.19 40.96 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge€281.12
PSO levy€-7.43
Prices include VAT at 9%. Prices displayed are effective from 1 March 2023 and are subject to change. We recently announced a price cut of 15.5% for all residential tariffs and annual standing charges, effective 9 November 2023

Bord Gaís are committing to the discount % on their standard rate, not the rate itself

So you will still get 15% discount of the new lower rate from 9 November

I have just renewed with Bord Gaís as a dual customer with a discount increased from 25% to 30% but in all honesty, the level of discount is irrelevant - it's the actual rate you will be paying that counts.

For me, it is Gas 10.28cts/kWh incl VAT and Electricity 33.74cts/kWh and after 9 Nov 8.64 and 28.50. This seemed competitive when I checked rates with other suppliers

Unfortunately to add to the confusion they are due to drop their rates from the 9th November. So I have no idea if I am being prompted to commit immediately to this rate being offered NOW, and fixing in at this rate or whether this will change from the 9th November and if I will avail of the lower rate.
So ask them to clarify?
Or just wait until the 9th to decide?

I got an email today stating that I will go on to their Standard Rate on expiry but I can avail of their 15% discount on renewal. See below

Offer still seems very high at just over 40c per Kwh and hefty annual charge. Unfortunately to add to the confusion they are due to drop their rates from the 9th November. So I have no idea if I am being prompted to commit immediately to this rate being offered NOW, and fixing in at this rate or whether this will change from the 9th November and if I will avail of the lower rate.

Discounts explained​

Urban 24 hour rate48.19 40.96 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge€281.12
PSO levy€-7.43
Prices include VAT at 9%. Prices displayed are effective from 1 March 2023 and are subject to change. We recently announced a price cut of 15.5% for all residential tariffs and annual standing charges, effective 9 November 2023
Don't sign up yet. Keep logging in to your Bord Gais account every day if you can. There's a fair chance they (or their algorithm) will increase the % discount between now and the 9th November. If you see a significantly better discount then jump on that.

You are on a variable plan, so if \ when there is a unit price change - increase or decrease - you will get it.

Your % discount will then be applied to the unit rate.

The Bord Gais rates from November with 15% discount would be very competitive, so you shouldn't lose out by delaying.

BGE are offering me 38% off elec and gas.

Contract is up on 12-Oct 2023.

Discounts explained​

Gas
Unit rates = 14.61 cut to 9.06 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge = €169.40
Carbon Tax = €0.00877/kWh

Electricity
Urban 24 hour rate = 48.19 cut to 29.88 cent per kWh
Annual Standing Charge = €281.12
PSO levy€-7.43

Prices include VAT at 9%. Prices displayed are effective from 1 March 2023 and are subject to change. We recently announced a price cut of 15.5% for all residential tariffs and annual standing charges, effective 9 November 2023. For current and future prices of rural and other tariffs, see Our tariffs explained.

Discount duration 12 months
After 12 months you'll get a 5% discount each and every year you're with us if you pay by Direct Debit and choose Paperless Billing. *Terms and Conditions apply. Please note the offer displayed is only available for a limited time and is subject to change.
Energy contract duration 12 months

If you leave before the end of the 12 month fixed term contract you may be charged a €50 exit fee. *Offer is subject to change.

Here are my BGE rates:

Current rates since 1-May 2023ELECafter current 33% discount
44.21 ex VAT48.19 incl VAT29.62
New rates 9-Nov-2023after 38% discount

23.16 cent ex VAT, does that look good compared to other firms?

Current rates since 1-May 2023GASafter current 33% discount
New rates 9-Nov-2023after 38% discount

7 cent ex VAT, 7.66 c incl VAT, does that look good compared to other firms?

I'm with EI. Is that BGE discount available for electric only ? Might be worth paying the €50 to break EI contract.

Back