Is the cost of electricity still that high??

Unless you are very disciplined and get max use of the night rate, the discounts in general seem to offset by a equivalent higher day rate.

Unless you are very disciplined and get max use of the night rate, the discounts in general seem to offset by a equivalent higher day rate.
Home charging an EV changes the scales significantly.

60% to 70% of our electricity usage is at the Bord Gais EV rate between 02:00 and 05:00. 5% is at the peak evening rate.

Approx how often do you charge and what size battery?

I reckon I only put in about 70kW max in the EV a week. Often less.

68kwh battery. Between 0200 and 0500 it will charge 28%, but I limit it to 80% max storage except when planning a long journey. I plug it in every night unless it's already about 75%.

Effectively it's less than €7 for a complete charge (if spaced out only using the cheap 3 hours which is what I do) and that will take me 400km / less in winter.

Last edited:
Thats interesting that you plug it every night.

Never occurred to me to do that when I don't need to charge.

Thats interesting that you plug it every night.

Never occurred to me to do that when I don't need to charge.
Always make the most of the super cheap electricity and then you won't have to buy dearer electricity.

Also I don't like the idea of getting a call that a relative is in hospital in the other side if the country and finding car is only on 40% as I didn't charger it the night before.

It soon becomes a routine.

On RTE 1oc news their headline mentioned about annual charge also reducing with Bord Gais but it was not covered in their main item or by their M.D. when he spoke later in the programme so remains to be seen.

ELECTRICITY ONLY PRICE REVIEW (Monday 22nd Jan 2024)
- Rural House - 24hr rate - Low enough usage (2800kw) (no smart tariffs reviewed, as wouldn't suit)

Price for new customers for 2800Kw per annum
(Unit price x 2800) + Standing Charge (inclusive of VAT) - any welcome credit.

Yuno €1092.88 now
Bord Gais €1190.29 now
Bord Gais €1077.10 with Feb price reduction
Energia €1274.04 now
Electric Ireland €1218.22 from March with Price reduction
Electric Ireland €1332.82
SSE AirTricity €1173.10 (with €200 welcome credit included in calculations)
SSE AirTricity €1205 Fixed

On RTE 1oc news their headline mentioned about annual charge also reducing with Bord Gais but it was not covered in their main item or by their M.D. when he spoke later in the programme so remains to be seen.
It's an 8% cut to s/c

I understand Waterpower are not taking in new customers but I was lucky enough to sign up in late August.

My 24-hour unit rate has been (VAT-exclusive)

September: 26.51c
October: 25.09c
November: 25.25c
December: 20.72c

Urban daily standing charge is 65c excluding VAT.

From what I can tell the best VAT-exclusive unit price from other suppliers is about 26c.

I understand Waterpower are not taking in new customers but I was lucky enough to sign up in late August.

My 24-hour unit rate has been (VAT-exclusive)

September: 26.51c
October: 25.09c
November: 25.25c
December: 20.72c

Urban daily standing charge is 65c excluding VAT.

From what I can tell the best VAT-exclusive unit price from other suppliers is about 26c.
That is certainly very true for 24 hour rates, and you did very well getting signed up,

but it gets much less clear cut, with smart meter rates which can be similar, and even lower, most suitable for households who can make the most of cheaper night rates.

take Energia “Smart Drive” pricing since October last,

existing customers can get an increased 20 % discount, which brought the ex vat day rate to 31.60 c, the 4 hour night period to 7.04 c. If one could divert 50 % of usage to that 4 hour charging, and in my household this could be done, the blended rate is 19.32 ex vat.

Plus, Energia are very likely, to announce a price reduction, any day now. Their smart
Meter standing charge per day is 59.47 c ex vat, and pay 24 c for export.

Pinergy also have a Lifestyle Cooline smart meter tarriff, which has an ex vat 3 hour night rate ex vat of 4.6 c, rest of time is 37.97, but this can be a very useful, for households with solar PV & battery storage, as Pinergy pay 25 c ex vat, for export
Standing charge is 71.25 c per day ex vat, but there is a €100 signup credit.

Depends on your individual usage of course, so one has to run the numbers and have accurate usage data, but for households with Electric cars, a heat pump, and timers on appliances, it is achievable.

Last edited:
Back