Is the cost of electricity still that high??

I have just received my current bill from Energia and am horrified that its E420.68, my standing charge is E44.25 and my unit cost is 0.4444 per unit. I must have had the dryer on more than i thought for July, will need to seriously look at reducing consumption over the coming months. Any tips anyone.
The tumble dryer, electric shower & oven are the 3 biggest users of electricity in my house(apart from EV). Trying to cutdown where possible.
Another user posted details of how to log into ESB to show your usage by the half hour. The only criteria is to have a smart meter. You do not need to be on a smart plan. This should help you figure out what times/days you are using the most electricity.

Has anyone compared what you've spent on electricity so far this year, versus the same period in 2022? Thanks to energy credits, we've spent less!

Don't get me wrong, watching usage is important, as is making sure you get as good a deal as you can on the rates, but what matters at the end of the day is what it's actually costing us, and in this regard, we're ahead of where we were in 2022.

Going to monitor things over the coming months, but with more credits on the cards in the budget, I can't see us being any worse off this year as a result.

Anyone else get an e-mail from their provider?

Energia are claiming to lower their unit rates by 20% apparently?

Anyone else get an e-mail from their provider?

Energia are claiming to lower their unit rates by 20% apparently?

Got it this morning; as Sue Ellen says above, it's the price reductions as already announced, covering gas and electricity.

However, as a customer with newly installed PV solar panels, it's their 33% increase in the feed-in tariff that really impressed me: up from 18 to 24 cent a unit!

Had thought recently that Bord Gais had not made any announcement about a price reduction in line with the other companies. So good ol' Google has thrown up this on Bonkers which shows a reduction two days ago for them and it was immediate from 11th September unlike some of the others who are delaying till 1st November.

Note: See post below from Red Onion clarifying that this is not a general decrease in rates but Bord Gais have merely reduced the standard discount to new customers from 10% to 15%. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Bord Gáis Energy

Bord Gáis Energy

Customer discount on Electricity, Gas and Dual Fuel plans increased from 10% to 15%
11/09/2023
Announced
11/09/2023
Effective

SSE Airtricity

SSE Airtricity

Price decrease announced by SSE Airtricity. The reduction will see electricity rates reduced by 12% and gas rates reduced by 10%. New rates will be effective from November 1st
08/09/2023
Announced
01/11/2023
Effective
Electric Ireland

Electric Ireland

Price decrease announced by Electric Ireland. The reduction will see electricity prices reduced by 10% and gas prices reduced by 12%. New rates will be effective from November 1st
07/09/2023
Announced
01/11/2023
Effective
SSE Airtricity

SSE Airtricity

New customer discounts on Electricity and Dual Fuel plans increased to 20%. Welcome credit increased on 10% discount plans.
05/09/2023
Announced
05/09/2023
Effective
Energia

Energia

Price decrease announced by Energia. The reduction will see gas and smart electricity rates reduced by 20% and standard electricity rates reduced by 15%. New rates will be effective from October 3rd
01/09/2023
Announced
03/10/2023
Effective
Pinergy

Pinergy

Price decrease announced on standard residential electricity rates from Pinergy. New rates will be effective from October 1st, 2023.
28/08/2023
Announced
01/10/2023
Effective

Last edited:
I presume that all of these price decreases are on each providers' standard rates but there may be further discounts available on certain tariffs/contracts?

I signed up for the Flogas one year fixed rate "community" tariff recently which offered me this (all ex VAT) and which I don't see any of the others coming close to even with the recently announced price cuts:
  • Day units: 30.62c
  • Night units: 13.53c
  • Standing charge: 76.14 per day
  • Annual usage: ~ 5,200 kWh
  • Night usage: ~60%

What do you mean?

I mean, is it a statement claiming wonderful upcoming savings and an eventual reduction in energy costs;

Whilst in actual fact it won't really provide much savings at all?

Or there's some hidden clause that makes it look good on paper, but won't reduce the bill too much?

Kind of like AIB's wonderful 2% interest rate on deposit accounts........... that's resets to 1000 euro after 12 months, totally bogus.

I mean, is it a statement claiming wonderful upcoming savings and an eventual reduction in energy costs;

Whilst in actual fact it won't really provide much savings at all?
The price changes by each provider are clearly stated in their various announcements and/or on their websites.
How much each customer saves depends on their usage, what tariff they're on etc.
Or there's some hidden clause that makes it look good on paper, but won't reduce the bill too much?
The CRU would not allow "hidden clauses".
Kind of like AIB's wonderful 2% interest rate on deposit accounts........... that's resets to 1000 euro after 12 months, totally bogus.
This is completely irrelevant here.

Had thought recently that Bord Gais had not made any announcement about a price reduction in line with the other companies. So good ol' Google has thrown up this on Bonkers which shows a reduction two days ago for them and it was immediate from 11th September unlike some of the others who are delaying till 1st November.
This is misleading.

Bord Gais have not reduced their standard rates in line with other companies. What they have done is reduced the standard discount to new customers from 10% to 15%. But their standard rates haven't changed, so no change for anyone in contract, or out of contract and not signing up.

This is misleading.

Bord Gais have not reduced their standard rates in line with other companies. What they have done is reduced the standard discount to new customers from 10% to 15%. But their standard rates haven't changed, so no change for anyone in contract, or out of contract and not signing up.
What is unusual about Bord Gais is that they seem to be offering significantly higher discounts to some existing customers to renew e.g. 33% or 38% that they are not offering to new customers.

This is misleading.

Thanks @RedOnion . Very sneaky on their part. Need to check the wording carefully to ensure that it reads 'price decrease' and not 'customer discount' when checking advertisements. Will add note to my post above to clarify.

Down through the years I have had a preference from a customer service point of view to deal with Electric Ireland and Bord Gais once their rates were also competitive. Have moved over the years backwards and forwards to avail of discounts. Of late the lack of service from Bord Gais and this type of stunt has confirmed my view that I would prefer not to deal with them. Had a terrible experience this year with them.

Will check rates later in year when we need to move and possibly consider Energia. From reviews their customer service appears to be good?

Thanks Red. Very sneaky on their
To be fair, that wording looks to be just on Bonkers, who sign up new customers. So maybe it's not from Bord Gais.

I only renewed my contract with Bord Gais last month, so I'm also eagerly waiting a proper reduction.

This is misleading.

Is it not that they have increased the discount from 10% to 15% or am I missing something??

To be fair, that wording looks to be just on Bonkers, who sign up new customers. So maybe it's not from Bord Gais.

I only renewed my contract with Bord Gais last month, so I'm also eagerly waiting a proper reduction.

I'm in a similar situation myself. With a 33% discount for my usage BG is still marginally cheaper than the other suppliers but given there is likely to be less government credit this year BG customers are likely to pay more for their electricity this winter. BG seem happy to retain customers on similar rates to the last 12 months but appear uninterested in attracting new customers.

Prepay Power has also announced a decrease from November.

Down through the years I have had a preference from a customer service point of view to deal with Electric Ireland and Bord Gais once their rates were also competitive. Have moved over the years backwards and forwards to avail of discounts. Of late the lack of service from Bord Gais and this type of stunt has confirmed my view that I would prefer not to deal with them. Had a terrible experience this year with them.

Will check rates later in year when we need to move and possibly consider Energia. From reviews their customer service appears to be good?

From three customer service exchanges with living, breathing, humans in the past 2 years I can confirm that Energia were excellent to deal with.

In fact, on one occasion I was promised an email to confirm the rates that I had been offered - and it was immediately sent!

Last edited:
Bord Gais finally announce reduced prices, effective 9th November.

"Bord Gáis Energy, one of the largest energy providers in Ireland, today announced price cuts of 15.5% off the current unit rate of gas and 15.5% off the current unit rate of electricity. Standing charges on both fuels have also been reduced by 15.5%. The new rates are effective from 9 November for all residential customers and are in addition to any discounts that current Bord Gáis Energy customers already benefit from. "

Back