"If crypto is not the answer to our money problems, what is?" Good FT article

@letitroll No harm to point out some of the stuff that you've pointed out in your last post. Some of it, I agree with, some of it, I don't. Let's go through it :)

I have so much to teach you....but we'll get you out of this Crypto cult yet :0 Only joking, I'm just pretend gas lighting you (all in good fun). :)
Delighted to hear that. Teach away. I've been hanging out here in what has been less than partisan territory where crypto is concerned so that at some stage, someone could help me challenge my own thesis re. crypto. I'm still waiting but I live in hope and every day is a school day.

(1) MasterCard are engaging in whats commonly referred to as 'innovation theatre'.........large cap publicly traded corporates have whole divisions of people ensuring they are seen to be at the 'cutting edge' on whatever the 'hot' new thing might be...keeping up appearance is important nobody wants to be the old crusty institution thats behind on the new shiny stuff..........that 'hot thing' however dumb it might in practise needs to show up somewhere in their innovation/next generation strategy/press release documents to keep Wall St. & investors happy.
I'm not sure whether that is MasterCard's specific approach or not - although I'm quite happy to believe that it may be (on the basis that there are definitely some tradfi companies doing that). I think it's important to be aware of it. If we take this particular example - I think you can't see the forest for the trees. I don't give a <futon> about MasterCard. However, that doesn't mean to say that there can't be some upside from whatever they're doing here.

So whether they can see what's coming down the tracks (and in the case of companies involved with payments I believe that's likely) OR they're doing what you have pointed out - you know what? Who cares? Go back to my previous post - where I explained that they're now making crypto A. more acceptable to mass market folks and B. they're enabling ME in being able to pay for a much broader range of stuff (I don't know - like everything?) with crypto and C. they're enabling mass market folks because now if presented with a scenario of whether or not to take a payment in crypto, why the hell not - because it can be spent and used just as easily.

You talk of 3 and 4D chess. Well there's a point in the much longer term where there is no dependence on Mastercard. They can do it or not - because effectively every payments company will offer it some way or other. Why wouldn't they? You mean as a payments company you're going to make yourself less useful and deprive your customers from taking money from their customers when there's some off the shelf API that takes care of all of that?

Presumably you believe that MasterCard - having introduced what they're about to introduce - will take it away again, right? If so, when do you think they will take this option off the market?

(2) Make a shed load of fees (while doing (1))............cause they are fully aware how competition in 'trad-fi' has driven all manor of transaction fees down to practically ZERO over the last 30 years......and then this crypto baby shows up out of no where with just unbelievably juicy spreads/fees.......... I'd say the people in MasterCard's eyes nearly popped out of their heads when they first heard what fees/spreads could be made offering this settlement service. While also engaging in Innovation theatre....win/win as they say.
Firstly, good for them. Secondly, you already provided the counter point to what you've laid out there. TradFi fees used to be fat. Now they're so thin on these big platforms that there practically isn't any fee. What do we know about services that cost nothing? YOU'RE the product. Your data is being sold a la order flow.
Secondly, when markets start out from a standing start - of course fees are high. Fees were a lot higher than they are right now. As markets grow, fees go down. They may still be fat but they're going down the whole time and they will continue to decrease. When analysts appraised Coinbase when it IPOed, the cannibalization of fees was the first thing they all identified. Coinbase is a key example (I have not used them for years mainly because of fees). The company knows that this will be an issue. They know they will need to innovate once more or pivot in some way. The last I heard was that they were thinking about a subscription model. The example proves that as markets both grow and mature, fees are cannibalized.

Now, I'm talking about exchange fees. In this example, we're talking about using MasterCard to pay with a debit/credit card. Now, do you have the low down on MasterCard fees in this respect? What are the fees? And if they are higher than normal, that is in no way surprising to me. As the market gets bigger the cut gets smaller. This is not rocket science.

The only thing you might say in defense is the following @tecate and I'll say it for you to save you typing and it goes something like this........I'm channeling my inner crypto so bear with me.............. perhaps this fee stuff is the necessary evil required to drive adoption, the trojan horse if you will, thats getting these established institutions to unbeknownst to them let the fox (disrupt everything crypto)...into the hen house (trad-fi)....I've heard that argument it sounds smart, weaponize these blood hungry corporates desire for money against.........sucker them in with juicy crypto fees, then take over from the inside out and they wont know what hit them! Did I get that crypto insider talking point about right? Thats the line I think?
I've referred on previous occasions to the perils of Wall Street involvement. There's both good and bad in it. Of course these greedy pigs won't turn down the opportunity to make money. And yes, there is an opportunity to divide and conquer in that respect. Let's put government in there as well and the whole regulatory deal.

So the establishment (both TradFi and governments) can do the full court press re. crypto. I'd prefer if they didn't - as although they won't destroy it, they will hold it back. Now with governments, I've never seen them all get on the same page on anything. You might get most of them - but not all of them. Some here might think but we only need the important ones. But that won't shut crypto down. The genie is out of the bottle and it won't be going back in.
And yes, there is also opportunity to make $. That will keep things legal for the most part. Will there be attempts made to 'capture' crypto and tame it? All day long. Those games are ongoing and in play right now - and will continue to play out over the next few years. Last week I warned about Gold being captured by the powers that be. I think Bitcoin has the right characteristics so as not to be pinned down.
There are concerns with regard to a whole host of DeFi protocols right now (unrelated to Bitcoin) and whether they really cut the mustard when it comes to decentralization and censorship resistance. But whatever has to play out - let it play out. I have no doubt that robust products can be built. I do have some concerns about some constituencies not realizing the importance of a certain minimum level of decentralization - but let it play and let's see how we go.
And the third point - I referred to governments not being on the same page. You think it's smart for a government to drive innovation overseas? You'll say there is no innovation - and we'll disagree - but let's suppose for a second that you're wrong. Then there will be winners in terms of the governments that nurture the development of this tech (and the products being built out on top of it) and losers in terms of those that don't. Like I said - divide and conquer.

See you've got it all wrong, you champion this news as sign that BTC is 'winning' & adoption is growing........its the opposite in fact............MasterCard isn't adopting crypto to allow it to disrupt the traditional payment rails like you dream it is....MasterCard & Visa are cold blooded monopolists, like I said they play 4D chess....

See above for the caveats that I've attached to my thinking on this all along. MasterCard and Visa can't stop this. Kodak led with the digital camera, then tried to burry it - and it buried them. Blockbuster passed up the opportunity to buy Netflix and went on to be destroyed by them. See number 3 on that list in that last article I've linked to. I'm not close enough to Visa or MasterCard to know what the nature of their engagement is - but maybe they've considered that point number 3. But I'm not a Visa/MasterCard shareholder - so I don't give a tuppence either way.

Last edited:
You think it's smart for a government to drive innovation overseas?

that’s one of my favorite crypto industry talking point strategies……using FOMO on politicians…..its clever and it could work…..to date….only third world countries have fallen for it….I hope you send a few satoshies to the people of El Salvador every few weeks….things are rough down there after they listened to that nonsens And incinerated millions of dollars of wealth

El Salvador Had a Bitcoin Revolution. Hardly Anybody Showed Up
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tcoin-btc-revolution-hardly-anybody-showed-up

The people down there have voted with their feet and smartphones….and they ain’t interested in funny money backed by an anonymous Japanese sounding man, a bunch of kids in their basements & a bunch of server farms in god knows.

that’s one of my favorite crypto industry talking point strategies……using FOMO on politicians…..its clever and it could work…..to date….only third world countries have fallen for it….I hope you send a few satoshies to the people of El Salvador every few weeks….things are rough down there after they listened to that nonsens And incinerated millions of dollars of wealth

El Salvador Had a Bitcoin Revolution. Hardly Anybody Showed Up
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tcoin-btc-revolution-hardly-anybody-showed-up
That's total BS from mainstream media. Nobody gave a fiddlers about El Salvador or where it was and then all of a sudden, they're all worried about how the country is being run! Things are no more rough than they were before - when all three previous President's had been embroiled in some sort of 'help yourself' scandal or other.

But you can pay heed to that clickbait. Having spent time there, I'm reasonably happy with where the project is. A project which was borne out of a community led initiative in El Zonte. Now we have other community projects following suit - in South Africa, Brazil, Guatemala, Honduras and Costa Rica. Meanwhile, in San Salvador, an NGO has been established to roll out education on all things Bitcoin to schoolkids and to ordinary people.

The finances of the country were not in any way good coming into La Ley Bitcoin - but listen to these guys and they'll have you believe that it's the very reason why it has issues. Furthermore, the IMF isn't inclined to play ball - and want to make an example of them because they had the audacity to suggest that they'd raise a BTC-based bond. That's IMF turf - they no likey.

Your El Salvador example is just one direction that relates to Bitcoin. There is broader innovation being put together with implications for markets and a whole host of verticals beyond Bitcoin (or maybe it will implicate Bitcoin as we move on - if DeFi products are built on top of it).

Last edited:
My last point - isn’t it funny that bitcoins rise is completely linked to the last decade plus of lower real interest rates & peaking as it did with the peak in money printing last year…..you would say yes Bitcoin is an antidote to fiat chaos. I laugh, you’ve got it back to front.

My prediction is bitcoins value will fall completely and utterly with a super strong negative correlation as rates normalize.

We have our 2030 bet……but we’ll see normalized rates 3-5% much sooner than that in 2023/24 and you watch as bitcoin falls in perfect response.

See bitcoin isn't the antidote to chaos……it WAS chaos.

The unfortunate malignant side effect of the low interest rate environment policy makers had to enact to bail out the system post-GFC.

It’s unfortunate it created little bubbles & manias like this along the way and they got so big……the Fed could have saved a lot of pain by normalizing as planned in 2018…..but chickened out after the taper tantrum. Cowards, shame on them. This time Jay Powell has grown a pair of big ones and let’s watch the show……as bubbles go pop everywhere. The most egregious of all your beloved BTC.

We are moving to a new era, if you haven’t noticed, one of inflationary pressures (demographics/safe shoring & deglobalization) and hire rates as a result……see all assets compete with other assets for investment…..see what’s going to kill bitcoin & crypto isn’t regulation (I thought that would get it first) ……but it’s that your granny will be getting 3% in her despoil account soon for the first time in 15 years……the sucking sound your hearing in crypto…….is investors cascading back along the far end of the risk curve……from the lunatic (crypto), to the plain old exceptionally risky (VC)….and so on and so forth……but all driven by your granny calling Irish life and telling them she doesn’t need to be in that bond fund anymore, Bank of Ireland has a new savings account that straight up pays 3%.

Hope you get that dynamic?I dont how much of your liquid net worth you have tied up in this stuff you sure write a lot about it……but crypto is playing a game of musical chairs with other financial assets right now and when the music stops (4-5% Fed Funds) there will be no seat left for people with laser eyes? You get that right?

Lets revisit this post in a year and 2030

Last edited:
Thought this was funny - couldn’t resist sharing
0E50162B-CA02-4257-AE21-3AC76B74E96E.jpeg

Isn’t it funny that bitcoins rise is completely linked to the last decade plus of lower real interest rates & peaking as it did with the peak in money printing last year
You brought this up a week ago or so. The answer is the same now as it was then. It's entirely logical. You might want to do a bit of research on how Bitcoin came into existence.

you would say yes Bitcoin is an antidote to fiat chaos. I laugh, you’ve got it back to front.
What's this 'you' business? I gave you the benefit of the doubt (even though I believe I shouldn't have given the fact you've been in this discussion for quite a while already) last week but that's as far as it goes. You're referring directly to the hype and adoption cycles that Bitcoin is going through. It has been discussed to death. I've always said that Bitcoin is developing into the role of something akin to a digital gold - that volatility is inevitable as its market cap. expands.

Secondly, last time I checked, Bitcoin still had a market cap that is totally insignificant by comparison with the fiat-based monetary system. Every single person on this planet participates in this fiat-based system and so of course it matters what sort of policy that gets implemented by the Fed, the ECB, etc.

I haven't gotten anything back to front in terms of the specifics of what you're discussing right here. As regards Bitcoin being
an antidote to fiat chaos', Bitcoin's development in a store of value and digital gold-like use case will be multi-year. How could it be otherwise given the cycles its going through in its early innings? Since Bitcoin's store of value/digital gold use case was first discussed here, it has always been discussed with a recognition that Bitcoin in its current form is cyclical and going through hype cycles.

My prediction is bitcoins value will fall completely and utterly with a super strong negative correlation as rates normalize.

We have our 2030 bet……but we’ll see normalized rates 3-5% much sooner than that in 2023/24 and you watch as bitcoin falls in perfect response.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you think this is a major prediction. Respectfully, I wouldn't even stand you a pint for that info. So less money floating around so Bitcoin goes down. Nothing else goes down right? You claimed that gold was such a big performer recently and I pulled you on it. The comparison was totally disingenuous given that you were clearly aware that Bitcoin was coming out the other side of yet another hype cycle. And even beyond that, gold itself hasn't moved up at all in these conditions.

It won't be going up in the rate environment you are talking about either. Nor will real estate. Nor will equities.
The unfortunate malignant side effect of the low interest rate environment policy makers had to enact to bail out the system post-GFC.
Firstly where is the bile for the GFC itself? It should never have happened. Secondly, that's not the truth. You're making excuses for them. Having gotten into that situation, currencies should have come first (and particularly so in the case of the USD given that it acts as the global reserve currency).

It’s unfortunate it created little bubbles & manias like this along the way and they got so big
Little bubbles? You mean the 'everything' bubble I hope? Equities, art, collectibles, gold, Bitcoin, real estate, etc. Last week, you gave Mark Yusko a sledging but when I asked you to come back and objectively respond to what he actually posted (that equities are just 7% off their peak valuation in the entire history of markets), we got crickets.

the Fed could have saved a lot of pain by normalizing as planned in 2018…..but chickened out after the taper tantrum. Cowards, shame on them. This time Jay Powell has grown a pair of big ones and let’s watch the show……as bubbles go pop everywhere.
The Fed succumbed to short term domestic interests as per The Triffin Dilemma. So you think rates go up and that's it. And they all lived happy ever after? The system is broken. That's not the end. How do you think debt repayments are going to be made in this apparently permanent high rate environment?

The most egregious of all your beloved BTC.
lol. The most egregious? Sounds more like the special place in hell classification to me.

We are moving to a new era, if you haven’t noticed, one of inflationary pressures (demographics/safe shoring & deglobalization) and hire rates as a result……see all assets compete with other assets for investment…..see what’s going to kill bitcoin & crypto isn’t regulation (I thought that would get it first) ……but it’s that your granny will be getting 3% in her despoil account soon for the first time in 15 years……the sucking sound your hearing in crypto…….is investors cascading back along the far end of the risk curve……from the lunatic (crypto), to the plain old exceptionally risky (VC)….and so on and so forth……but all driven by your granny calling Irish life and telling them she doesn’t need to be in that bond fund anymore, Bank of Ireland has a new savings account that straight up pays 3%.
See above. This is not the end point. There's a reason why our bet gets settled in 2030.

I dont how much of your liquid net worth you have tied up in this stuff you sure write a lot about it……but crypto is playing a game of musical chairs with other financial assets right now and when the music stops (4-5% Fed Funds) there will be no seat left for people with laser eyes? You get that right?
Quite happy to debate BTC/Crypto with you - but I'm all good on portfolio advice, thanks. And by the way, I'd suggest you consider the very same yourself relative to holding of equities, property, etc.

If currencies and economies can be run perfectly then Bitcoin isn't going to be all that significant. They're not run perfectly and never will be.

Lets revisit this post in a year and 2030
You're free to revisit any post anytime you feel like it. If, however, you think that Bitcoin going down with every other asset class in a high rates environment is some kind of prophesy, it's not.

Last edited:
So less money floating around so Bitcoin goes down.

Bitcoin goes down the MOST of any asset class you can think off, well sh!tcoins go down the most....then bitcoin.........but your not getting my point....... the nominal price of financial assets will go down in a response to rising discount rates.......but the point your laser eyes are missing @tecate and all you cyrpto people are missing it........is that stocks, bonds... sure will go down....but they have REAL cash flows, products & services sitting underneath them.....and so once inflation normalizes and discount rates can too, they will rise again in proportion to their cash flows exceeding their all time highs as their cash flows grow with the economy.............dont you get @tecate I'm trying to help.......Bitcoin's gonna fall 9x% from its peak price (inflation adjusted).......and its NEVER coming back up again, ever.......don't shoot the messenger.....catch you in 2030

Bitcoin goes down the MOST of any asset class you can think of

That's not news - it's been like that to the upside and the downside for quite some time now. In assessing that, you have to bear in mind that it's not a mature asset - it's a long way off maturity just yet.

but the point all you crypto people are missing it........is that stocks, bonds... sure will go down....but they have REAL cash flows, products & services sitting underneath them.....and so once inflation normalizes and discount rates can too, they will rise again in proportion to their cash flows exceeding their all time highs as their cash flows grow with the economy

All roads lead to Rome. These discussions always lead back to the assessment of value where Bitcoin is concerned. You don't see any in it, you don't see any utility - I and others like me do. Gold doesn't produce REAL cash flows - is it going to be done for also?

Also, let me query this normalisation of inflation. That may be the way this plays out - or we may have inflation above the norm over a number of years. It certainly seems like Powell is going to continue on with the rate hikes...but lets see what happens when he continues on down that road.

Dont you get @tecate I'm trying to help.......Bitcoin's gonna fall 9x% from its peak price (inflation adjusted).......and its NEVER coming back up again, ever.......don't shoot the messenger.....catch you in 2030

I appreciate the concern but I'm not swayed by your argument today but I'll keep an open mind on it as always as we trundle forward.

BTW, if you believe that BTC/stocks/property/Gold, etc are all going into the toilet over the next while as the Fed hikes rates, how are you hedging that eventuality?

Last edited:
BTW, if you believe that BTC/stocks/property/Gold, etc are all going into the toilet over the next while as the Fed hikes rates, how are you hedging that eventuality?

With hedges of course....thats why its called hedging....but it isnt for amateurs & novices will get hurt doing it.

Plenty of ways to protect the downside & ensure you dont suffer permanent impairment of capital sure your stocks might go down for a LITTLE while but come back up (not like those who bought BTC @ $69k have/will) and I'd point everyone to the below from Bill Ackman....people going into this secular re-pricing of assets that own a portfolio of stocks that meet the requirements below have all the hedging protection they need, they own superior businesses at reasonable prices:
  1. Simple and predictable
  2. Free cash flow generative
  3. Dominant market position
  4. Large barriers to entry (MOAT)
  5. High return on capital
  6. Limited exposure to extrinsic risks the investor can’t control
  7. Strong balance sheet and the business doesn’t need access to outside capital (equity or debt) to survive
  8. Excellent management and good governance
  9. Finally & most importantly - pay a reasonable price which ensures positive real FCF yield generation from Day 1 relative to the price you pay
Follow the above and you'll get filthy rich. Its so simple yet people find it so hard........they want to get rick quick, they dont have the patience to get rich slow.....as a friend of mine say they are short term greedy, instead of long term greedy. Unfortunately they end up roadkill & victims of financial promoters of every kind.

Books will be written about the crescendo of greed and malfeasance centered around the crypto bubble of 2020/21 and so many people have got hurt and are about to get hurt.

I'd point everyone to the below from Bill Ackman

Bill is smart for sure. He teaches us the evils of paying heed to CNBC.

Its so simple yet people find it so hard........they want to get rick quick, they dont have the patience to get rich slow.....as a friend of mine say they are short term greedy, instead of long term greedy. Unfortunately they end up roadkill & victims of financial promoters of every kind.
That makes complete sense to me. Gates' Law: "Most people overestimate what they can achieve in a year and underestimate what they can achieve in ten years." See you in 2030.

Books will be written about the crescendo of greed and malfeasance centered around the crypto bubble of 2020/21 and so many people have got hurt and are about to get hurt.
Books have already been written about the wild west that is and has been crypto. Stick The Cryptopians on your reading list. That doesn't mean to say that there isn't something worthwhile going on in the middle of it all.

debt-vs-interest-rates.png

I ask about interest rates, because when I look at data like the above chart, firstly the normalised rates don't seem very normal, and secondly what happens when debt to GDP is as high as it is now and rates go higher for any significant period of time.

Last edited:
(1) MasterCard are engaging in whats commonly referred to as 'innovation theatre'.........large cap publicly traded corporates have whole divisions of people ensuring they are seen to be at the 'cutting edge' on whatever the 'hot' new thing might be...keeping up appearance is important nobody wants to be the old crusty institution thats behind on the new shiny stuff..........that 'hot thing' however dumb it might in practise needs to show up somewhere in their innovation/next generation strategy/press release documents to keep Wall St. & investors happy.

(2) Make a shed load of fees (while doing (1))....Crypto is like the best innovation theatre anybody ever invented because you can actually get paid a SHED load to engage in it...Why?......... we've talked about this before....and as you know already.....Crypto is a pigs trough of transaction fees & hidden spread capturing..........the likes and level of which were last seen in 'Trad-Fi' three or four decades ago before regulation and competition killed it. Mastercard/PayPal/Coinbase.....cant believe there's people out there willing to pay the brokerage and transaction fees they are getting right now (some explicit, some hidden). Whoever runs these crypto divisions in these groups must chuckle at night going to bed.........cause they are fully aware how competition in 'trad-fi' has driven all manor of transaction fees down to practically ZERO over the last 30 years......and then this crypto baby shows up out of no where with just unbelievably juicy spreads/fees.......... I'd say the people in MasterCard's eyes nearly popped out of their heads when they first heard what fees/spreads could be made offering this settlement service. While also engaging in Innovation theatre....win/win as they say.
It's arguably even more pragmatic than that. Under their previous CEO, Mastercard pivoted from a card scheme to a payment services company, and value-added services now account for about 50% of their revenue. Mastercard have deep expertise in compliance, dispute resolution, consumer identification and onboarding, fraud prevention etc.

As regulation increasingly demands that crypto providers invest in these areas, there is an opportunity for trusted brands who have pre-made shovels ready to repurpose for the crypto gold rush.

Interestingly, you can see from articles on Silicon Republic and hiring on LinkedIn that a lot of Mastercard's innovation and indeed crypto activity is based in Dublin.

So rates go higher, the crypto infidels get "permanently" wiped out but it's not happy ever after??

Its always happy ever after for real businesses selling goods and services that people want & that produce genuine value.

The above never goes out of fashion.....crypto nonsense does and will

The above never goes out of fashion.....crypto nonsense does and will
Your claim is that rates go up and stay up. I've referred to the economic reality not being that simple. I referred to debt being a major factor in the ability of CBs to raise rates and keep them raised. @DazedInPontoon also referred to debt as a factor.
In my last post, I linked to two examples where there are symptoms of major issues on the debt front. If you wish to participate and discuss, then do so but I really don't think it's reasonable to go and post something totally unrelated to what I posted - when you quoted my post in response.

- You're hand waving that away without anything substantive.
- You spent a couple of posts discrediting Mark Yusko. Yet when I put it to you that his Twitter post (stating that equities have only been 7% more expensive in the history of markets) was accurate, all that came back was *crickets*.
- You went to great lengths to try to demonstrate that gold is responding positively in a higher rate environment when it's actually down.

You don't have to address those things - but you'll appreciate I'll draw my own conclusions if you're not able to.

Its always happy ever after for real businesses selling goods and services that people want & that produce genuine value.

- You've stated that 2x in as many posts. Yet on the first mention, I asked you, what of gold? - which is NOT something that produces a return. Again, *crickets*. Seems like gold gets a free pass from the parameters you're trying to set up but a special place in hell is reserved for Bitcoin.

Last edited:
Are you actually spending crypto in that case or are you cashing in your crypto in order to pay in the local currency?
Isn't it the same thing? If I have a USD balance on my debit card, and I pay for something in Europe - its converted. The shop doesn't receive dollars. There are at least 7 different crypto companies offering this service - probably more.

Back