I don't want to give Ryanair or Aer Lingus my business...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the colour is the only thing to complain about with Ryanair then I am OK with that. I will bring dark glasses just in case. :)

Secondly, I agree 100% that Ryanair's annoying bright yellow, their irritating announcements every time you land, and their general poor approach to customer service, puts them below Aer Lingus, when it comes to which airline to choose. That's before we consider the fact that Ryanair always put you in a departure lounge about as far away from check in, and security, as they can possibly get - wasting my time, commuting back and forth etc. Cheapest, is definitely not always best!
The colour scheme is bad but other than that I find the customer service levels similar to Aer Lingus. They are both low cost no frills budget airlines. The problem I have with Aer Lingus is that they have pretension of grandeur. The main difference between them is that Ryan Air have newer planes, they are less inclined to run out of food and... well, that's about it really. Neither clean their planes properly, neither have good baggage allowances and both will charge you though the nose for anything extra that they can. Aer Lingus have a good trans-Atlantic offering but it's not a patch on BA.

I agree with Leper .We were all caught off guard by Covid and i think we are all in this together so give them some slack and support them of course
Can I ask how much, if anything they owe you?
I have gone through it just now with the immediate family and collectively we are owed €1,280.00 .
The majority of which is owed for more than a year!

You will forgive me if I feel I have 'supported' them enough.

The main difference between them is that Ryan Air have newer planes, they are less inclined to run out of food and...
I think the main difference is that AL will cancel a flight 'at the drop of a hat'. They have been doing this for years, ie. not just during Covid times.
RA tend not to.

I think the main difference is that AL will cancel a flight 'at the drop of a hat'. They have been doing this for years, ie. not just during Covid times.
RA tend not to.
I used to use Aer Lingus Regional every week. Small, noisy turboprop aircraft. A return flight to Aberdeen often cost €400. I've paid over €600. They didn't even give out loyalty points on those flights. Just shockingly bad service. It would be topped off by a cabin crew member chatting about how her child or children were flying to Australia, and the rest of the world, for free (they just have to pay the taxes) because Mommy was giving out tea between Ireland and Scotland. At least I knew why I was being charged so much.

I used to use Aer Lingus Regional every week. Small, noisy turboprop aircraft. A return flight to Aberdeen often cost €400. I've paid over €600. They didn't even give out loyalty points on those flights. Just shockingly bad service. It would be topped off by a cabin crew member chatting about how her child or children were flying to Australia, and the rest of the world, for free (they just have to pay the taxes) because Mommy was giving out tea between Ireland and Scotland. At least I knew why I was being charged so much.
And I am sure that you got cream cake and fancy biscuits too :D with your tea.

Can I ask how much, if anything they owe you?
I have gone through it just now with the immediate family and collectively we are owed €1,280.00 .
The majority of which is owed for more than a year!

You will forgive me if I feel I have 'supported' them enough.

And if you and your family members had availed of those flights then that money would be gone anyway. Plus, if they were holiday flights, you'd probably have spent more during your holiday than you did by staying at home. So you saved money and aren't really at any financial loss - in fact you probably should be thanking them for saving you that money! (at least, that's the way I rationalised the loss of my Algarve holiday flights last year!)

Last edited:
Getting back to the original question ....
Tap fly to Lisbon, Iberia to Madrid and possibly some other Spanish cities, Air France to Paris, Lufthansa I believe pulled out but may return and they are lovely to fly with.

Dublin to Alicante?.A short less than a three hour fight and very cheap thanks to Michael O Leary modeling his low cost airline on South West Airlines so that the ordinary man in the street can now afford travel and foreign holidays .Why would anyone complain about the cabin colour scheme in the aircraft?I agree with Leper .We were all caught off guard by Covid and i think we are all in this together so give them some slack and support them of course.I certainly will.[Dont sweat the small stuff.]Life is too short for bickering.[Only my humble opinion of course].
Excellent and Understanding Post.

And if you and your family members had availed of those flights then that money would be gone anyway. Plus, if they were holiday flights, you'd probably have spent more during your holiday than you did by staying at home. So you saved money and aren't really at any financial loss - in fact you probably should be thanking them for saving you that money! (at least, that's the way I rationalised the loss of my Algarve holiday flights last year

What absolute unadulterated garbage. And you call that being rational ??

Ah, hold on a minute...yeah, good one,...I admit I did fall for it momentarily....good one.:D:D:D:D

And if you and your family members had availed of those flights then that money would be gone anyway. Plus, if they were holiday flights, you'd probably have spent more during your holiday than you did by staying at home. So you saved money and aren't really at any financial loss - in fact you probably should be thanking them for saving you that money! (at least, that's the way I rationalised the loss of my Algarve holiday flights last year!)
You could say the same about any good or service that someone buys but never receives!

As an argument, it makes no sense at all.

For what its worth, I would recommend taking the ferry if travelling to the UK.

Went recently with Stena Line and booked their Huggie seats that provides you with a lovely relaxing journey with views of the sea all the way. As the ferry is so large you feel that you almost have the place to yourself. The comfort of packing up your car at your door, not worrying about the weight of anything or being restricted from taking certain items, not having to queue and being almost strip searched …..wonderful and totally stress free. If you haven’t tried this form of travel, I’d highly recommend it….during the months May to September anyway when the sea is almost always very calm.

Just a Thought:- Those of you who have been issued with Ryanair or Aer Lingus vouchers possess a valuable item if you intend travelling in future. Is it possible you can sell the vouchers to others?

Just a Thought:- Those of you who have been issued with Ryanair or Aer Lingus vouchers possess a valuable item if you intend travelling in future. Is it possible you can sell the vouchers to others?
Not sure about ryanair but aer Lingus vouchers can be transferred

You could say the same about any good or service that someone buys but never receives!

I could indeed, but it wouldn't make much sense! For example, if I bought a couch that didn't arrive then I'd have nothing to sit on.
So I can't see many potential savings there.

However if I buy a return flight and don't take it, then it's somewhat nonsensical to argue that I haven't saved on the additional expenses that would have arisen from my travels abroad.

Unbelievable comment. Funniest that I have heard in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back