I don't want to give Ryanair or Aer Lingus my business...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintagel

Both Aer Lingus and Ryanair have done me no favours during the past two years, with refunds, not extending voucher/gift card, use by limits etc.

I have decided that for next year I will only use these airlines where absolutely necessary.

I am looking for other airlines with direct flights to European destinations for 2022. They need to be airlines that fly direct, no stop offs....

Can anyone recommend other airlines that fly from Dublin Airport to European destinations direct?

All of the available destinations and airlines are detailed in the holiday destination planner

That's all well if they are flying to destinations that you want to travel to, directly.
I was treated ok by both Ryanair and Aer lingus , even if I did have to wait a bit before it happened so I will use both again when the time is right , for me to fly again.

I have an "anybody but Aer Lingus" policy due to their customer service over a good number of years when I was flying frequently for work (60-100 flights a year). Thankfully I only have to fly a few times a year now.

I have decided that for next year I will only use these airlines where absolutely necessary.
We only tend to hear about Ryanair and Aer Lingus here as they carry the vast majority of passengers from our airports, but I wonder whether all other airlines acted in a similar manner? UK media has lots of similar stories concerning BA, Virgin, Easy Jet...

Covid has forced us to live in relatively difficult times and especially in the airline business. I think it's time to give them some slack. Covid descended fast and stayed with us. The last thing we need is No Aer Lingus and No Ryanair.

The only reason I tend to choose Ryanair over Aer Lingus is that they are usually a lot cheaper , for the same service.
I have got Aer Lingus cheaper but only on a few occasions.
I thought that their customer service was similar but it seems not to be the case, for frequent fliers, at least.

Covid has forced us to live in relatively difficult times and especially in the airline business. I think it's time to give them some slack. Covid descended fast and stayed with us. The last thing we need is No Aer Lingus and No Ryanair.
Great sentiments @Leper however when one pays for a service and the supplier does not deliver said service but still holds onto your money, then empathy and 'cutting them some slack' starts to run a bit thin.

I would not agree at all. If the two airlines were at the same price I would chose Ryanair . We have used them a lot more times than Aer Lingus mainly because of the huge price difference and the customer service at check in and on the planes are the very same, in my opinion.

I've been using Ryanair for a few years now. Flight times and prices are better for me going to and from Alicante. I've had reason to get in touch by webchat and had no problems doing so. Personally, I prefer AL for comfort, but Ryanair imo do it better and cheaper.

I've been using Ryanair for a few years now. Flight times and prices are better for me going to and from Alicante. I've had reason to get in touch by webchat and had no problems doing so. Personally, I prefer AL for comfort, but Ryanair imo do it better and cheaper.
The newer Ryanair planes are really nice but the main reason not to use them is the appalling interior colour scheme on their older aircraft. It hurts my eyes and makes them sad.

@Purple . I don't drink, so no hangovers, but if I did I would imagine Ryanair's "screaming" colour scheme might be hard to bear. I think AL Green and white is very relaxing.

We all go through life taking hits here and there. It's not always win/win. We become more determined with the knocks we learn to take and nobody is perfect. The airline industry is in a dreadful state now and it needs our support. Now is not the time to be knocking Aer Lingus and Ryanair. We're supposed to be all in this together.

Hello,

Firstly, both Ryanair and Aer Lingus took a disgraceful approach to dealing with their customers, over the last 18 months. They should have been dealt with quickly and firmly, by the regulator - but instead, we got the usual crap service from a regulator!

I had personal experience of how they tried to wrongly retain customer funds, although quickly took matters into my own hands, by having my credit card company retrieve my money. This approach was widely discussed on social media, so anyone who didn't take it, took their chances with regards to accepting vouchers instead of a refund!

Secondly, I agree 100% that Ryanair's annoying bright yellow, their irritating announcements every time you land, and their general poor approach to customer service, puts them below Aer Lingus, when it comes to which airline to choose. That's before we consider the fact that Ryanair always put you in a departure lounge about as far away from check in, and security, as they can possibly get - wasting my time, commuting back and forth etc. Cheapest, is definitely not always best!

Notwithstanding the above, I will give Ryanair credit for their punctuality. As a rule of thumb, I've found them better at keeping to schedule.

Unfortunitely, given we're a small island, we have limited other options, when it comes to flights. For some people, perhaps travel to and from Belfast airport, may offer alternatives.

I've also heard KLM advertising on the radio recently, referencing flights from Dublin and Cork, but my guess is that many of those flights are not direct, so you'll have to allow time for stop overs at one of their European Hubs, in some cases. I've used KLM-Air France in the past (not recently), and they were fine. Equal to AL on short haul, and probably a little better, on long haul.

When I'm travelling for social reasons, I'm going to try and look harder at using the ferry services to England, France and Spain (its a slower, but probably more relaxing way to travel), going forward.

Last edited:
... We're supposed to be all in this together.

You might have got some appreciation from me for the stance that you are taking, until you added that final sentence....

If it's not clear to you by now, that we aren't all in this togeather (when it comes to airlines and passengers), then I'm sorry, but I think you need you head examined!

Two things have been made extremely clear to all of us, over the last 18 months :

1. Covid 19 kills people.

2. Airlines have zero loyalty to their customers.

Last edited:
The airline industry is in a dreadful state now and it needs our support.
Aw c'mon @Leper , my bank account is also 'in a dreadful state' (@Leper: Covid has forced us to live in relatively difficult times) and also needs some 'support'.

But I DO NOT advertise a service, enter into a contract by taking clients money and then renege on it, by not supplying what I said I would !
And then, to add insult to injury, put two fingers up to my clients by refusing to refund their money, ignoring their Emails and not answering their phone calls. But you tell us this is the sort of company we should support ??

I would suspect that you are not owed hundreds of Euro's by Aer Lingus for over a year now as I doubt you would be displaying the level of altruism that your posts depict, if you were.

It's not always win/win
No it's not, I agree, but companies who take your money for nothing ain't losing too much on that deal and the customer certainly is NOT winning !

Last edited:
Dublin to Alicante?.A short less than a three hour fight and very cheap thanks to Michael O Leary modeling his low cost airline on South West Airlines so that the ordinary man in the street can now afford travel and foreign holidays .Why would anyone complain about the cabin colour scheme in the aircraft?I agree with Leper .We were all caught off guard by Covid and i think we are all in this together so give them some slack and support them of course.I certainly will.[Dont sweat the small stuff.]Life is too short for bickering.[Only my humble opinion of course].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back