How on earth can a kitchen cost 25k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO a kitchen could easily cost 3 times 25K. I shopped around for months for mine and managed in the end to get it at a resonable price of 15K for solid oak units and granite worktop... I have 4 ceiling to floor units (Broom cupboard, larder, Integrated F/F and Double Oven units and numerous below and above counter units including bin unit, integrated dishwasher pull out larders and overhead crockery units etc and also a very large island unit with wine racks etc. It is quite a large kitchen so it all depends on what you want!! For excellent Appliances I paid another 7K and in addition I tiled my floor with Marble which all in all came to around 28K - I plan on keeping it for life....

Could I have done it any cheaper - I dont think so... so please let me know if I have been robbed as the original poster is implying to anyone who spends 25K!!! I could have paid a lot more (quoted 40K in some instances for the units and worktop!)... You pay for what you get! IMO!

Here’s what I’d do, buy a kitchen for for 5k, and spend 20k travelling the world for 6 months in the laps of luxury!!!

Just one tap in my kitchen cost 150Euro not counting plumber's hourly rate. It's a Lefroy Brooks and every time I turn it on it's a thrill because it is brilliant engineering combined with beauty. I also have exquisitely-designed kitchen equipment and chose solid beech units and no - I'm not wealthy and got it bit by bit! I limit my air-travel and energy-consumption on grounds of carbon-pollution, would not go with MDF or plastics as ecologically-unsound. The quality of everyday environment is crucial and worth paying for.

You pay for what you get! IMO!

You may do - but you definitely do not always get what you pay for!

I made my general point earlier - but you must agree that some people will buy absolutely anything providing it has a perceived exclusivity/huge price tag or whatever.

Whilst most high end/high priced kitchens are vastly superior than those costing under €1000, it most certainly does not necessarily mean that all 25K+ kitchens are "better" in quality/materials/durability etc than something that costs a lot less.

I agree Cavaet 100%..
Our tiler told us a story of someone in the D4 area who had spent over 100K on kitchen which was illuminous green with red background and tiling - but it was DESIGNER - and in their opinion worth it but in his awful!

All I was saying that I believe I got value for money in what I got and I really wished I could have got it cheaper but I didnt!!! but 1500 on a kitchen it cant be of much quality and size imo.... thats all and surely doesnt consider appliances and tiling and worktop etc....

If I was in a house where I thought I was going to live long term I think you could justify nearly any investment in it if it made you happy. This business of changing perfectly good kitchens etc though is really extravagant though.
My parents know some people who sell furniture and they were saying that most of their business comes from people redecorating every few years - chucking out all the perfectly good stuff and replacing it with the latest.

Now that's a waste of money - 6 months and it's all gone - all we have left are the memories and that slightly perverse carved wooden statue from Burkino Faso :D

i would imagine folks would much rather listen to the tales of somebody who has spent 6 months exploring the far corners of the world than listening to somebody droning on about their 25k Kitchen!!!!

i would imagine folks would much rather listen to the tales of somebody who has spent 6 months exploring the far corners of the world than listening to somebody droning on about their 25k Kitchen!!!!

Such a sweeping generalisation isn't really useful. You could be talking about a boring person whos travelling to uninteresting places, burning a hole in the ozone while doing so. Or a very interesting person that designed a radical eco friendly kitchen etc.

Horses for courses in fariness.

Most people are bored out of their minds by tales of travel. Strangely enough, the more exotic the tale or further away the corner of the globe the more boring people find it because they can't really relate.

Most people are bored out of their minds by tales of travel. Strangely enough, the more exotic the tale or further away the corner of the globe the more boring people find it because they can't really relate.

Such a sweeping generalisation isn't really useful. You could be talking about a boring person whos travelling to uninteresting places, burning a hole in the ozone while doing so. Or a very interesting person that designed a radical eco friendly kitchen etc.

Horses for courses in fariness.

Agreed! How many more plane loads of birkenstock clad IT managers will fly across the Atlantic next year so that they can regale people back home about how wonderful Machu Picchu is and how amazing it was to be at one with nature :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back