Horse burgers

Did he knowingly do it? That's what matters and we just don't know that detail yet.

We then probably get into sins of omission and commission there Purple. The systems in place should detect what is going in allied to the fairly rigorous testing regime in place for Irish sourced "beef", not much point in having one without the other.

I thought that we had enough beef in Ireland without having to import it?

Do we know who owns the Polish meat factory from where the meat comes from? Has it any connection with Ireland?

It's not beef as you or I would know it, it's basically the cuttings from other meat products that are then used to bulk up cheap burgers - they must be cheaper than our own cuttings to make it worthwhile to import them.

ABP own some meat factories in Poland, but one that was in the news has apparently been given a clean bill of health.

Originally when this story broke I didn't think much of it. Where I live and all over the continent Irish beef is highly prized. It's a premium product and accordingly priced. Most times I don't buy it as it's too expensive. But I do for special occasions and it's absolutely fabulously steak.

If this is not nipped in the bud, there will be untold damage. And shame on those who are cutting correrns to make a cheap buck and risking the livelyhoods of so many and the reputation of Irish beef. At this stage it's not a joke anymore and has reached criminality.

Breaking news - Findus beef lasagne 100% Horse

[broken link removed]

It just gets worse.

ajapale said:
does anybody know what drind is?

"Industry insiders have told the Guardian they believe that an ingredient called "drind", dehydrated rind or skin, may be at the heart of the scandal. It is commonly used to bulk up cheap meat products."

Marion

I can't see Findus surviving this, they were always considered that bit more upmarket than supermarkets own brands, can't trust none of them now.

I can't see Findus surviving this, they were always considered that bit more upmarket than supermarkets own brands, can't trust none of them now.

You're right Cashier I've lost my trust in:-
1. Parts of the Catholic Church (although I am a practicing Catholic).
2. Our Politicians (all of them).
3. The EU.
4. Our Banks.
5. The ability of business people to tell the full truth.
6. Our Trades Unions.

In the "big picture" horsemeat barely scratches the surface in Ireland Ltd. But, all of these divert attention from the biggest issue (I can hear our politicians laughing at us - our economy.

"Industry insiders have told the Guardian they believe that an ingredient called "drind", dehydrated rind or skin, may be at the heart of the scandal. It is commonly used to bulk up cheap meat products."

Marion

I consider this more spin and lies. 100% horsemeat doesn't come from drind.

It's now two months since Ireland inc has decided there was a problem. Why is nobody following the horses. Follow the horses and find the source. Surely this cannot be too difficult.

As for anyone on here not buying 'beef' products, what about pork? Who are they kidding. No burgers, sausages, frozen meat products, ready made meals etc.

And while they're testing for horse DNA, what about following other animals that go to the knackers yard. I dread to think. I think I'll make home made salmon burgers (fish cakes) this evening despite the kids protestations.

I don't believe that Findus is at fault. Nor do I believe the supermakets, nor McD or Supermacs are to be blamed (despite the pressure put on suppliers).

This must be a lucrative trade for some people in the food chain, and it looks like it's widespread. I do wonder how long (months, years) this has been going on. And I'm willing to bet that the likes of Tesco/Findus are going to get to the bottom of this a lot quicker than governments whom I trust not at all who wish to protect the food industry at nearly any cost.

Why is nobody following the horses. Follow the horses and find the source. Surely this cannot be too difficult.

ehh the horses are in tiny bits, they dont necessarily have any identifiable clues as to their origin. If you're talking about still live horses, there's millions of them and we dont know which are bound for processing anytime soon, and if its horse factories you want checked, perhaps there's shenanigans going on and the horses are being processed where they shouldnt be.

The logical thing is what they have already done, check all the inputs, see which ones neigh, where did they come from, where did the next guy get it etc. etc. all the way back to a factory/factories in Poland.

If you're talking about still live horses,

all the way back to a factory/factories in Poland.

Yes I mean follow the live horses. Follow where the unwanted Irish and UK horses go, see where they are processed, and see where what is produced is sold to.

As for Poland, they have denied the source is their factories. I would imagine it's more likely a country that processes and produces horsemeat for human consumption ergo France, Benelux, Spain. And I think UK and Irish horses are mostly sent to those countries.

I agree with Time. I've eaten horse meat in France and Switzerland and found it very tasty. I would, however, agree totally that the meat should be as labelled.

Its the beaf tribunal all over again, because no one was put away last time.

Hot Dogs, Guaranteed 100% dog meat

More breaking news now Aldi frozen Ready Meals 100% Horsemeat

The Environment Secretary says a "criminal conspiracy" may be to blame for the deepening scandal, as police join the probe.

[broken link removed]

Back