Horse burgers

Well instead of throwing away this perfectly good food it could be distributed to the soup kitchens or via St. Vincent de Paul for the needy. People have been known to eat dog food out of a tin, which is generally good horsemeat itself.

There is no health and safety risk, it doesn't affect any one's religious beliefs and it's demonstrated that they are on the ball food safety wise. I'm sure that I've eaten horsemeat somewhere as has practially any Irish person whose gone abroad. Anything like burger or sausage or even soup is always going to be suspect. I particularly remember 'beef' burgers in Majorca years ago. They were of no type of cow that I recognised. My other half has eaten suckling pig, he got the ear, he's seen eyes in soup, eaten sea snails, and had to drink soup via a staw in Hong Kong. So horsemeat doesn't sound too bad. He tells me frogs legs taste like Chicken.

Down all my local supermarkets I can get rabbits, veal, horse, snails, frogs legs and other things you don't want to know about. All side by side with beef, pork, chicken and lamb. There's also live lobsters. I think you can get dog in Korea and maybe rat too, or would that be in the Indian on Parnell square or the Chinese on O' Connell street. So I think horse meat I can certainly deal with.

Did the IRA go into the horse meat business? It must be more lucrative than bank robberies.

I never ever buy any processed mince products and very seldom buy mince (other than getting a nice cut of meat at the butchers and having it minced in front of me). It's almost unbeliveable what goes into mince in general - meat that couldn't be sold otherwise, almost always containing a lot of animal fat. Then products like burgers, meatballs, etc. get 'beefed up' by all sorts of binders to hold them together.

Otherwise, some of the best mince recipes contain more than one type of mince such as %beef + %pork + %lamb or any combination imaginable. For example, most middle eastern mince dishes are %beef + %lamb.

As usual in Ireland we put the cart before the horse.
Isn't the upcoming obesity epidemic facilitated by 'burgers' and the associated rubbish thats 'consumed' with it - such as a gallon coca cola (and we dont even know whats its in that).

I am just amazed at the burst of outrage.

such as a gallon coca cola (and we dont even know whats its in that).

I am just amazed at the burst of outrage.

Of course we don't know, Coca Cola has a secret formula that only a handful of the top people in the company know ;)

edit: I think you know this

I understand that the FSAI have carried out further tests in the two plants implicated in this whole affair.

They obviously don't have the resources to test every burger coming off the production lines, so they carried out a gallop poll.

It seems to be unfair to blame Larry Goodman for this at this stage. There is no suggestion that he or his company did anything wrong.

It seems to be unfair to blame Larry Goodman for this at this stage. There is no suggestion that he or his company did anything wrong.

Well, it seems that it was imported "material" that caused the equine DNA to be in the burgers which would imply that the material is not tested by ABP before adding it to their burger mix, I can't see how that isn't their responsibility.

Guy goes into the chipper & asks for a plain burger & is asked if he's sure he doesn't want anything on it - he hesitates for a moment & then says " ah go on I'll have 20 euros each way "

Well, it seems that it was imported "material" that caused the equine DNA to be in the burgers which would imply that the material is not tested by ABP before adding it to their burger mix, I can't see how that isn't their responsibility.

Did he knowingly do it? That's what matters and we just don't know that detail yet.

Back